IImar'I Thomas deserves her own thread

2,569 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HoopDreams
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IImar'I Thomas (5-10 SR wing, Oakland, CA)the AAC Player of the Year for 2020-21is in the portal as a grad transfer out of Cincinnati WBB; 23.7 PPG, 7.5 RPG, and 3.3 APG this season.

*copy & pasted from Raoul on Twitter*

She went to high school in SF, and nobody thought she'd be this good. She's a strong scorer who plays hard and has overcome a horde of doubters, myself included, at every level.

She's not an A-List transfer, so Cal could have a shot. If I'm Charmin, Thomas, unlikely looking as she might be, is my top priority.
stu
We surely could have used her this season and I assume she'd be a big asset next season.

BTW with some fonts uppercase I and lowercase L can be hard to distinguish so it took me a while to figure out her first name contains 3 of the former.
ClayK
It is definitely a weird spelling ... she explained it to me once, but it didn't stick. It has something to do with the capital I's at either end not really needing to be there ... or not.

But the woman can play the game ...
bearwbbfan
I believe it is (in all lowercase) i'imari, at least according to her twitter.

She looks to have already garnered interest from Utah, Texas, Kansas, and Clemson on twitter.
LegoBear
UCLA, bummer.

ClayK
The rich get richer ...

She would have been perfect for Cal ...
SFCALBear72
Wondering if UCLA MBB Coach, Mick Cronin, had a hand in this recruitment. He's the former Cincinnati MBB Coach.
annarborbear
To make a breakthrough now in this tough league, I think we are going to have combine successful recruiting with good use of the transfer portal. Arizona is full of transfers and now UCLA is going that route as well. Hope that we can get at least one UW transfer to come here.
wbbilluminati
I think we try to get Amaya Bonner this off season then focus on putting together a respectable 2021-22 season and then try to entice some 2023's.

For a team that went 1-16, we are loaded with young talent and basically have people at all positions.

We gotta get it together then focus on 2023. I have no idea what the sales pitch would be for 2022's with a 1-16 record.
UrsineMaximus
I agree with several of these posts. I watched many of these WBB tourney games and it was quite intimidating. Cal will need to get some immediate help at the F position. Not sure ELS is a starter in this league unless she has a significant improvement during the off season...tbd. Not sure about the center position with Hiede and Samb. Hiede has solid fundamentals but lacks the athleticism required for PAC 12 play. Probably same thing can be said of Samb.

Cal could just play a small lineup but we just saw what a team like the furd will do with that.

Congrats to Tara, she's a legend no doubt.
stu
Quote:

Cal could just play a small lineup but we just saw what a team like the furd will do with that.
I could live with losing by 1 to Stanford in the NCAA Final.
blungld
I know there are reasons but it was a frustrating season to see so many freshman have exceptional years, but our highly-touted recruits play like freshmen.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
wifeisafurd
they also played against some very tough competition in the Pac, which clearly is the best conference in WBB right now. There is the excuse of practice limitations, etc. imposed by COVID, but that really is on Cal. It wasn't just Furd that was based in Vegas when C-19 limitations were imposed by local authorities.
UrsineMaximus
I agree.
HoopDreams
the issue with the women's team were different than the issues with the women's team

do you think it's reasonable to judge a coach by wins and losses when their lineup had 1 legit guard, a bunch of freshmen, and zero shooting?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.