Jody Wynn Out at Washington

4,452 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by annarborbear
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jody Wynn has been let go at Washington after a 38-74 overall record and 11-58 in the conference over the past four years. Only surprise is that she had the 17th ranked recruiting class in the nation coming in next year, including #70 Marisa Davis whom we had tried to recruit.
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

Jody Wynn has been let go at Washington after a 38-74 overall record and 11-58 in the conference over the past four years. Only surprise is that she had the 17th ranked recruiting class in the nation coming in next year, including #70 Marisa Davis whom we had tried to recruit.

How does a coach move on after being a HC in the Pac-12.......will there be opportunities for her to be hired for other D1 HC positions.......Any thoughts on who would replace Jody Wynn?
ClayK
This was a very interesting move, as Wynn had at least two years left on her contract -- which means it was a buyout in COVID year that would have been easy to give any coach a pass on.

A few possibilities:

1) There's something else going on that forced the move, aside from the record, and UW had to bite the bullet and buy her out. From this perspective, the women's basketball program may not have much in the budget to pay the going rate for a top-shelf P5 coach and staff.

2) UW is getting serious about women's basketball, and is willing to buy out Wynn and now will spend whatever's necessary to get the program back on track.

3) A disgruntled booster or two funded the buyout, for whatever reason, and UW will maintain pretty much the same level of investment in women's basketball as before.

4) Some other reason.

If Jody Wynn wants to be a head coach again, I don't think she'd have much trouble landing a mid-major job -- especially as she should be in no rush, given the buyout.

SFCALBear72
Ashfield63 said:

annarborbear said:

How does a coach move on after being a HC in the Pac-12.......will there be opportunities for her to be hired for other D1 HC positions.......Any thoughts on who would replace Jody Wynn?

There are plenty of opportunities out there based upon all the firings this week. Coach Wynn has to decide whether she wants another Power 5 conference job or to go after a mid-major job (she was at Long Beach State before UW).

Wisconsin, Auburn and Oklahoma (coach retired) have positions open. Those are very tough conferences like the Pac-12. Then there are schools like Montana, George Washington and Army who are also looking.
ClayK
Sacramento State is now open, though I doubt Wynn would be interested.
wbbilluminati
annarborbear said:

Indeed she signed 4 top 100's. Curious if any will look elsewhere, though I think one enrolled early already
stu
This reminds me of Caren Horstmeyer who Cal fired right after her great 2005 recruiting class.
puget sound cal fan
With Jody Wynn gone, the dawgs will likely be looking for a new MBB coach shortly, too. Also, Jimmy Lake looks a bit wobbly as his roster appears to be transferring out of town. Disaster.
wbbilluminati
Tina Langley from Rice named UW new coach. That's a pretty big hire. She had plenty of buzz for a while
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

Tina Langley from Rice named UW new coach. That's a pretty big hire. She had plenty of buzz for a while

Rice just won the WNIT over Ole Miss. Guessing she'll first make a pitch to the now 4 players in the transfer portal... then try to salvage their recruiting class.
wbbilluminati

UW's starting center 6'3" Quay Miller transfers to Colorado. That could bolster CU into a really solid top 25 team having beat Stanford and returning everyone including star senior forward Mya Hollingshed, who might've been a 2nd or 3rd round WNBA pick last night had she declared.

Top 100 guard AJ Marotte switched from UW to Oregon State.
wbbilluminati
ClayK said:

Sacramento State is now open, though I doubt Wynn would be interested.
Oregon's Mark Campbell just hired for Sac State
annarborbear
Any word on whether UW signee Marisa Davis is also looking around?
Ashfield63
I don't understand why Mark Campbell is going to Sac. State. He was an excellent associate coach at Oregon. He must be taking a huge decrease in his salary. I would think he would be sought after by another Power-5 WBB program.......Does anyone have information why he is accepted the HC position at Sacramento State?
wbbilluminati
Ashfield63 said:

I don't understand why Mark Campbell is going to Sac. State. He was an excellent associate coach at Oregon. He must be taking a huge decrease in his salary. I would think he would be sought after by another Power-5 WBB program.......Does anyone have information why he is accepted the HC position at Sacramento State?
I was surprised too, and thought maybe he and his fam really wants to live in Northern California?
ClayK
From what I heard, and what has happened nationally, P5 programs and top mid-majors want to hire women, especially women of color. Campbell does not fit either, and though he interviewed at UW (I believe), I've heard he was never seriously considered.

I don't know, of course, but it seems like he realized that if he wanted to be a head coach, it wasn't going to be at a top-level school. The expectations are low at Sac State, I believe it's easy to get into, and his West Coast recruiting connections will still pay off -- but now, instead of club coaches helping him get future WNBA kids at Oregon, they'll help him get players who are a little overqualified for Sac State. And that could be enough to win a lot games, and get a "better" job.

Also, he may have gotten some promises about facilities, staff budget and recruiting budget that makes it more attractive than it appears.
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

UW's starting center 6'3" Quay Miller transfers to Colorado. That could bolster CU into a really solid top 25 team having beat Stanford and returning everyone including star senior forward Mya Hollingshed, who might've been a 2nd or 3rd round WNBA pick last night had she declared.

Top 100 guard AJ Marotte switched from UW to Oregon State.

Tameiya Sadler will be joining Miller at CU according to a press release issued by the school and posted on Raoul's website yesterday.

Still no word on Haley Van Dyke's plans.
wbbilluminati
Just noticed LMU hired Aarika Hughs for HC. I wonder if our Coach April was considered?
Chabbear
"Also, he may have gotten some promises about facilities, staff budget and recruiting budget that makes it more attractive than it appears. "

The Hornets still play in their original 1955 1000 seat gym and have had no luck in getting a new facility. https://www.hornetsports.com/information/facilities/The_Nest. He got no promises there.
annarborbear
I listened to the incoming interview with UW's new women's coach, Tina Langley, from Rice. She has a great track record. But I can't imagine how they thought that a white coach with a Southern background and a Southern accent could possibly be a cultural fit for this West Coast position. Would have been a perfect opportunity to elevate another young Black female coach instead.

All women's basketball programs lose significant money. So why not at least use that investment to provide opportunity?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.