Haley Van Dyke in Transfer Portal

9,863 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to Raoul, the 6-1 Jr. Forward from Walnut Creek is looking to transfer from UW. She was the Huskies' leading scorer in 2020-21 averaging 12.0 PPG and 5.8 RPG. Honorable mention all Pac-12 and Defensive teams.

If she is interested in playing closer to home, this would be an excellent addition to Cal WBB.

Thoughts?
annarborbear
I like Van Dyke. But if we can add a three-point shooter, that is more of what we need.
calbears4ever
Green is a stellar three point shooter and we are getting her back. But we could always use another
LegoBear
Like their men's program seems like everyone is leaving the women's team as well. Their PG from Vallejo also transfering.

wbbilluminati
LegoBear said:

Like their men's program seems like everyone is leaving the women's team as well. Their PG from Vallejo also transfering.

IIRC, pretty sure Sadler was offered by Cal coming out of HS.
wvitbear
I like Sadler better. Saw her in high school.
ClayK
Both Van Dyke and Sadler would be very good gets for Cal ...
Schroeder71
Women's Basketball vs Washington on 12/4/2020 - Box Score - University of California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

Sadler scored 21 (8-11 shooting) points and Van Dyke contributed 11. The freshman guard blew by Cal's guards to primarily lay-ups. The Bears badly need speed on their team to be competitive.

Green is a *streaky* three point shooter. The team needs mulitiple deep threats with consistency. GO BEARS!
wbbilluminati
LegoBear said:

The tweet implies 6'3" post Quay Miller is also transferring, averaged 9.0 ppg and 6.0 rpg in what was her soph szn. Obviously we're pretty set with bigs but was a top 50 recruit.

SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

I like Van Dyke. But if we can add a three-point shooter, that is more of what we need.

In-coming freshman, Jayda Curry, had 75 3-pointers during her Junior year in high school.
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

In-coming freshman, Jayda Curry, had 75 3-pointers during her Junior year in high school.
Her three point shooting percentage that year was only 28%, and she shot only 40% from the field overall. I think she is more of a scorer than a pure shooter.

Jayda Curry High School Girls Basketball Stats Centennial (Corona, CA) | MaxPreps

Tameiya Sadler, on the other hand, shot 45.3% on three's this year for UW. If she has an interest in Cal, that is who I would go after.
Schroeder71
annarborbear-nice job of analysis. You're exactly correct. Jayda Curry is a scorer (or gunner) always looking for her shot. I wonder how easy it would be for Cal to get a quality transfer after finishing last in the conference w/ a solitary win. It would have to be an academically-driven student athlete like Harvard's Jadyn Bush. GO BEARS!
ncbears
Well, we will see if there is a pipeline from UW to Arizona...
MoragaBear
Staff
SFCALBear72 said:

According to Raoul, the 6-1 Jr. Forward from Walnut Creek is looking to transfer from UW. She was the Huskies' leading scorer in 2020-21 averaging 12.0 PPG and 5.8 RPG. Honorable mention all Pac-12 and Defensive teams.

If she is interested in playing closer to home, this would be an excellent addition to Cal WBB.

Thoughts?
Look for Haley to end up at Cal, probably soon.

I saw her play a bunch at Campo. She'd be a nice addition to the program.
HoopDreams
MoragaBear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Thoughts?
Look for Haley to end up at Cal, probably soon.

I saw her play a bunch at Campo. She'd be a nice addition to the program.
that would be excellent. I still don't get the undersized forward in-coming transfer

if she had an outside shot, I understand, but I still think Evelien fills the role of tough scrappy forward (but doesn't have a shot)
annarborbear
HoopDreams said:

That would be excellent. I still don't get the undersized forward in-coming transfer

if she had an outside shot, I understand, but I still think Evelien fills the role of tough scrappy forward (but doesn't have a shot)
I think that the difference between Bush and Shipholt will be in basic basketball instincts. Bush averaged 18 points and 9 rebounds per game in high school, and she kept that up with numerous double/doubles at Harvard. She seems to play solid defense and shares the ball with others very well. She does not shoot from the perimeter, but did shoot 53% from the field, so her shots do go in the basket.
CalFanatic
Such great news. Mastrov and HVD...never thought i'd see a Campo/Miramonte duo in a cal lineup.
MoragaBear
Staff
CalFanatic said:

Such great news. Mastrov and HVD...never thought i'd see a Campo/Miramonte duo in a cal lineup.

Same! Especially coming from a Miramonte grad with kids who graduated from Campo.
puget sound cal fan
C'mon, Charmin, get it done!
wbbilluminati
Nice! We're so deep!
stu
CalFanatic said:

Is this a done deal, a likely occurrence, or wishful thinking?
MoragaBear
Staff
It's not a done deal till she signs but it's my understanding that's what will happen.
ClayK
That would be good news ... Van Dyke can score, and Cal needs that.
Ashfield63
ClayK said:

That would be good news ... Van Dyke can score, and Cal needs that.
Plus, Haley will be a senior. She played three years for Washington, and would be the most experienced player on the Cal team. Also, because of Covid she has two years of eligibility remaining.
wvitbear
Van Dyke shot 22.2% from 3 point land. Not sure that will help.
MoragaBear
Staff
wvitbear said:

Van Dyke shot 22.2% from 3 point land. Not sure that will help.
She's shot higher in prior years so she's shown the range. Here are her career stats at UW:

Here's her high school bio:

High School: Played four seasons of varsity ball at Campolindo High School in Moraga, Calif., scoring 2,370 points (20.6 ppg) and pulling down 1,513 rebounds (13.2 rpg) in 115 career gamesranked 21st among Class of 2018 forwards according to ESPN and as the No. 82 player overall according to Prospects Nation...averaged 29.8 points, 17.3 rebounds, 4.8 steals, 3.8 assists and 3.5 blocks per game as a senior...named to Bay Area News Group All-Area First Team, San Francisco Chronicle All-Metro Team, Prep2Prep All-North Coast Section First Team, SportStarMag Second-Team All-NorCal and a 2017-18 California All-State Girls Basketball second-team selection by Maxpreps.com...scored 30 or more points in 12 games including 56 points and 27 rebounds in team's 96-75 win over Brookside Christian...broke her own sectional playoff record by scoring 60 points while adding 16 rebounds and 8 blocks against Moreau Catholic...as a junior, scored the fifth-most points in the state of California, pouring in 765 points in 32 games, averaging 23.9 ppgadded 15.4 rebounds, 4.9 steals, 3.8 assists and 3.5 blocks per gamehelped Cougars to CIF NorCal Championship, setting championship game records with 46 points and 20 rebounds on 20-of-28 shootingearned All-NorCal first team and All-Metro first team honors and named All-Diablo Foothill Athletic League MVPnamed San Francisco Chronicle Sophomore of the Year and DFAL First-Team as a sophomore, averaging 18.8 points and 12.9 rebounds per gamehelped Cougars to a 25-6 overall record and state quarterfinal berth.saw action in 25 games as a freshman, scoring 10.7 ppg and adding 8.7 rpgreceived All-DFAL honorable mention honors.
ClayK
I hadn't realized her shooting had declined so much ... that 20-21 stat line is not pretty.
wvitbear
Her FG and free throw per centage fell too.
calbear80
Any update on if she has signed or when she will sign?

Go Bears!
puget sound cal fan
There was turmoil in the UW WBB program last season, like in their MBB. It wasn't a happy place and has prompted major losses via transfers and the replacement of Coach Jody Wynn. The environment at Montlake undoubtedly contributed to decline in performance so I would gauge a UW player's capability less on last season, alone, and more on their earlier career.
bearwbbfan
MoragaBear said:

It's not a done deal till she signs but it's my understanding that's what will happen.
Van Dyke has decided to return to UW.
wbbilluminati
Lol
OBear073akaSMFan
bearwbbfan said:

MoragaBear said:

Van Dyke has decided to return to UW.

Please provide the link. Thanks.
annarborbear
Van Dyke's profile says she is majoring in business. Might have been hard to get her into Haas this late in her degree progress.
HoopDreams
Even with the UW assistant coach coming to Cal?

Disappointing
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.