Haley Van Dyke in Transfer Portal

9,912 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?

UW also adds 6'9" Nancy Mulkey
MoragaBear
Staff
I'll post when I have more details what happened. I suspect it was related to Haas but we'll see.
LegoBear
Question, do we know what we need in transfers? Seems like we have the pieces in terms of players (we didn't lose anyone and hopefully we get back all the injured guards). Obviously we lack experience and we could always benefit from more talent but other than that (ok big other than) there is nothing specific we need?
HoopDreams
Can always use talented and/or experienced players

And I'd love a knockdown shooter or dominant slasher who can drive from the wing

And wouldn't it be nice to have a stretch 4?

Sorry, you asked
LegoBear
Thanks for your thoughts, I only have a passing ideal of the state of the cal roster so this is interesting to hear.

Trying to gauge the impact of gaining or not gaining any particular transfer this year. While it seems nice to get someone with the number of potentially high quality transfers this year, wonder if any will have a major impact next year (assuming next year will still be a development year no matter what.)

HoopDreams said:

Can always use talented and/or experienced players

And I'd love a knockdown shooter or dominant slasher who can drive from the wing

And wouldn't it be nice to have a stretch 4?

Sorry, you asked
stu
IMHO we would benefit most from a do-it-all wing like Jaelyn Brown or a great point guard.
puget sound cal fan
Mulkey is an elite 6'9" post, which the new coach brought with her from Texas (I presume she's related to the former Baylor WBB coach. That puts a premium on the Bears developing Their young bigs, Heide and Samb. Tall order for Cal's new coach, Reed.
HoopDreams
stu said:

IMHO we would benefit most from a do-it-all wing like Jaelyn Brown or a great point guard.
I could agree with that, although at least we have experience at the 1
Ashfield63
puget sound cal fan said:

Mulkey is an elite 6'9" post, which the new coach brought with her from Texas (I presume she's related to the former Baylor WBB coach. That puts a premium on the Bears developing Their young bigs, Heide and Samb. Tall order for Cal's new coach, Reed.

It was noticeable that Fatou Samb had improved while watching her play in the last games of the season. I recall watching a video early in the season when Charmin was working with Fatou. It was amazing. Charmin said, I am you, teaching her post positions, while having Fatou defend her. Sela was injured, I don't know when, so she missed out getting experience. Charmin said at one point, "I am teaching every second." GO BEARS!
GGV
puget sound cal fan
That's the kind of teaching Cal's bigs need in order to be ready to compete in the PacXII. I hope Coach Reed is able tustain and accelerate he effort.
ClayK
Oddly, NCAA rules to protect athletes from exploitative coaches (six-hour practices, etc.) have hampered player development. It's actually difficult to find enough time to really work on individual skills given the time limits that exist.

And of course, players have to want to get better badly enough to work at it. More than a few are burned out by the time they get to college -- they've been playing year-round since age 10.
HoopDreams
ClayK said:

Oddly, NCAA rules to protect athletes from exploitative coaches (six-hour practices, etc.) have hampered player development. It's actually difficult to find enough time to really work on individual skills given the time limits that exist.

And of course, players have to want to get better badly enough to work at it. More than a few are burned out by the time they get to college -- they've been playing year-round since age 10.
Clay, since you are a coach of a HS girls bb team, have you watched the Disney series Big Shot about a HS girls basketball coach in La Jolla?

It's not a realistic show, but more entertaining than I expected

the basketball show I really liked was the Netflix documentary about a JC basketball coach in East LA. Recommended watch for basketball people, especially coaches

ClayK
I don't watch much (any, really) scripted TV, so I haven't seen the show. And I would probably just get annoyed at how inaccurately the job is portrayed ... even those who have been assistants or JV coaches are surprised at what being a head coach in high school actually entails.

stu
ClayK said:

I don't watch much (any, really) scripted TV, so I haven't seen the show. And I would probably just get annoyed at how inaccurately the job is portrayed ... even those who have been assistants or JV coaches are surprised at what being a head coach in high school actually entails.
Yes. Ask Wyking Jones.
HoopDreams
ClayK said:

one thing I noticed is neither the players nor the coach look like real basketball players. i think they are all actors that they taught to dribble, pass and shoot, and with a lot of editing make it look like they are playing in a real game

but when you get glimpses of HOW they dribble, pass and shoot you can tell they are new to basketball

but the reason I mentioned it to you, is because the show is not really about basketball. It's about the relationships of coaches, players, administrators, parents, families

you should watch the netflix documentary which is completely different and not scripted.
MoragaBear
Staff
HoopDreams said:

Even with the UW assistant coach coming to Cal?

Disappointing

If she was transferring out of Washington, would you expect a former Washington coach coming to Cal to help?
HoopDreams
MoragaBear said:

HoopDreams said:

Disappointing

If she was transferring out of Washington, would you expect a former Washington coach coming to Cal to help?

Yes actually, if that coach had a good relationship with the player
MoragaBear
Staff
HoopDreams said:

MoragaBear said:

HoopDreams said:

Disappointing

Maybe they didn't and that was part of the reason why she was transferring possibly in the first place.
HoopDreams
A possibility

She was transferring out when he was there (he wasn't able to retain her)

He left for Cal who obviously recruited her, and she returned to UW (he wasn't able to pull her to Cal)

That suggests he wasn't able to make the difference on either side

However I think it's too big a leap to say he was part of the reason for her transfer out

More likely, just not a big enough factor in her overall decision

MoragaBear said:

HoopDreams said:

MoragaBear said:

HoopDreams said:

Disappointing

Maybe they didn't and that was part of the reason why she was transferring possibly in the first place.
OBear073akaSMFan
MoragaBear said:

HoopDreams said:

MoragaBear said:

HoopDreams said:

Disappointing

That was my feeling especially since he was the post coach at Wash when all of a sudden changed her mind. Do you know if she did apply to Haas?
annarborbear
How about less speculation and some actual confirmation of why she is not transferring.
MoragaBear
Staff
She told family friends she was transferring to Cal. If I hear what went wrong, I'll pass it on.

Though her not coming is disappointing, no sense in any finger pointing or idle speculation.
UrsineMaximus
I thought I had read that her transfer to Cal was just a formality at some point? Oh well guess we will never know what happened...
Ashfield63
Was Haley Van Dyke going to be a game changer for Cal, she did have three years of playing experience in the

Pac-12. However, Cal has good guards who can score, Jazzy, Cailyn, Alma, and Mia. They are young, and nee
d experience. Cal needs a Jaelyn Brown quality player.....Alma may be the closest to Jaelyn's ability, and Jazzy is anxious to start playing basketball. Charmin called Alma "A Baller".......Jazzy is a scorer....TheBears should be hungary to win games......
GGV
puget sound cal fan
Van Dyke cancelled her transfer plans and is staying at UW, according to the May 3rd Seattle Times.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.