cal in WNBA watch

3,398 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearBint
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anigwe seems potentially on the outside looking in this year

Boyd seems to be getting a serious look in Chicago

Cowling made it to the final 14 for 12 spots but might end up being the last cut
BearPedz
I am cautiously optimistic about all of our bears making their respective rosters. I know Layshia is the only one on a guaranteed contract, but it is the final week and our bears have survived the cuts so far. B. Boyd-Jones has been playing really well in her preseason games, Cowling has the size that Atlanta needs at the wing. Anigwe is the biggest question mark, LA has a lot of forwards and I'm not sure she gets another year to prove her worth.

Keeping the paws crossed!
Go bears!
puget sound cal fan
Anigwe is tough in the post at both ends, but she's not as versatile--perimeter scoring--as others on the roster.
BearBint
Boyd has been waived by the Sky, Cowling's at the Sun's training camp, Clarendon, of course, is solid with the Liberty, and I'm not sure what the Sparks will do with Anigwe.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
BearPedz
Really tough to see B. Boyd-Jones get cut she led the sky in preseason games in rebounding from the guard spot. She managed good assist to TO but didn't score particularly well and had high fouls per min.
BearBint
BearPedz said:

Really tough to see B. Boyd-Jones get cut she led the sky in preseason games in rebounding from the guard spot. She managed good assist to TO but didn't score particularly well and had high fouls per min.
Yeah, you have to be able to do it all in the W these days--their rosters are so short. Supposedly when Boyd was being coached by Laimbeer, he told her that if she would follow his advice faithfully for two years, he could change and stabilize her shot, but perhaps her Achilles injury interfered with that.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Baygbear
Cowling was just cut by the Atlanta Dream. As for Boyd I read on Womenshoopz that the Sky are going to request a hardship waiver to try and bring her back.

Chicago cut four players leaving their final roster at 11 (max roster is 12) so it seems likely that Boyd will be back on the team if the waivers clear.

Update. Kristine Anigwe was cut by the LA Sparks.
BearPedz
Final cut day for the WNBA sucks, plain and simple. I have no doubt in my mind if the league expanded by at least 2 teams, Boyd-Jones, Cowling, Anigwe, Caldwell, Range and so many more bears would be on TV this summer.
wbbilluminati
I just checked the final roster...gosh, Cowling was so close! Final spot seemed to go to Crystal Bradford who only played in the W for a blink back in 2015
Ashfield63
wbbilluminati said:

I just checked the final roster...gosh, Cowling was so close! Final spot seemed to go to Crystal Bradford who only played in the W for a blink back in 2015

Mikayla Cowlings was an exciting player for Cal. I feel disappointed for her! We need a WNBA team in San Francisco. They have a great place to play, The Chase Center! I don't think an athlete and competitor like Mikayla will give up. It's good there are so many opportunities for women to play basketball overseas.

GGV
HoopDreams
She was one of my fav players

After she graduated I saw her working out in the RSF

I wanted to go up to talk to her but didn't want to interrupt her workout

Hope she gets her shot at the WNBA, but I think it's pretty cool to play overseas for awhile too, like her and many of our prior players
wvitbear
Boyd is playing today for Chicago. And she is on their roster.
BearBint
wvitbear said:

Boyd is playing today for Chicago. And she is on their roster.
Does anyone know whether "ROS (hardship)," which is why Boyd and Gray are on rosters again, indicates that they'll play for the rest of the season?
BearBint
Someone on Rebkell claims the Dallas Wings have taken Anigwe (again), but no source for this knowledge. It's a complicated time of the season...

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=99494&start=125

(Most Rebkell folk don't like Anigwe much; they usually take a dim view of Cal players.)
SFCALBear72
BearBint said:

Someone on Rebkell claims the Dallas Wings have taken Anigwe (again), but no source for this knowledge. It's a complicated time of the season...

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=99494&start=125

(Most Rebkell folk don't like Anigwe much; they usually take a dim view of Cal players.)

Confirmed by Dallas Wings and WNBA Twitter accounts...Kristine taken by the Wings off waivers.
ClayK
As I understand it, hardship players must be released when the roster gets back to 10.
HoopDreams
Seems like several cal players are at the line for WNBA teams

With women's basketball gaining popularity, maybe the WNBA will gain viewers, sponsors and then add teams
BearBint
HoopDreams said:

With women's basketball gaining popularity, maybe the WNBA will gain viewers, sponsors and then add teams
Like here; imagine a franchise at the Oakland/whatever-it's-called-now Arena.
ClayK
BearBint said:

HoopDreams said:

Like here; imagine a franchise at the Oakland/whatever-it's-called-now Arena.
If the Bay Area gets a team, it will be in SF.

Expansion is unlikely because

a) It lowers the amount each team receives from TV/sponsors; and

b) There isn't enough talent to maintain the quality of the product (which is pretty good right now).

This year's draft was awful and next year's looks no better. The fact that 40-year-old Sue Bird is still one of the better point guards in the league is a clue about the depth of talent.
SFCALBear72
This morning, the NY Liberty waived Layshia. Another team can select her off waivers.

Or I'm thinking maybe it's time for her to fully pursue a broadcasting career.
CalWSportsFan
Layshia Clarendon with great debut for Lynx: 12 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists in 27 minutes and amazing shot for almost game winner but Lynx won it OT. Go Bears!
Post game interview:

Almost game winner at the buzzer:
BearBint
Sadly, but unsurprisingly, Kristine Anigwe has been dropped by the Dallas Wings. I hope she'll have better luck with the English national team and her Turkish program.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.