Ionescu in WNBA

17 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wbbilluminati
GOLDEN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Remember when there was a group of posters here that said Ionescu would never make it in the WNBA?

Gamer winner 25 points 11 assists

Sabrina Ionescu Records First Triple-Double, Youngest in WNBA History

coachdeke
GOLDEN said:

Remember when there was a group of posters here that said Ionescu would never make it in the WNBA?

Gamer winner 25 points 11 assists

Sabrina Ionescu Records First Triple-Double, Youngest in WNBA History

No, who said that??? I remember quite the opposite.
CalWSportsFan
I don't recall that. Her talent has long been apparent hence our disappointment in her choosing Oregon over Cal.
CalFanatic
I think we all desperately wanted her to come to Cal because she was a program changing talent...
ClayK
Perhaps the biggest opportunity Cal women's basketball ever had was Sabrina in its backyard ...

The fact the opportunity was missed -- for whatever reason (and it may well have been out of Cal's control) -- changed the course of the program. As Vin Scully used to say, "The saddest words of tongue or pen: 'Oh, what might have been'."
blungld
CalFanatic said:

I think we all desperately wanted her to come to Cal because she was a program changing talent...
It was not nearly as unanimous as you'd think.There were several posters saying she was good but not great. A little slow. Her shot was so so and would struggle to score in college. I was saying that with her and Anigwe (can you imagine her feeding her in the post?) we would make the Final Four. I still think that is true and not many people agreed with me.

I thought she was the Jason Kidd of woman's Bball, that it should have been a Cal story, and that losing out on that level of local talent is still a real shame and why we are where we are today.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
HoopDreams
ClayK said:

Perhaps the biggest opportunity Cal women's basketball ever had was Sabrina in its backyard ...

The fact the opportunity was missed -- for whatever reason (and it may well have been out of Cal's control) -- changed the course of the program. As Vin Scully used to say, "The saddest words of tongue or pen: 'Oh, what might have been'."
not sure if it's true, but the fact that oregon signed her twin-brother seemed to be a significant factor in her going to oregon

ClayK
HoopDreams said:

ClayK said:

not sure if it's true, but the fact that oregon signed her twin-brother seemed to be a significant factor in her going to oregon

Oregon did not sign her twin brother. He was offered a chance to walk on, which of course Cal would have done too if that was what was required. Eddy never practiced or played for Oregon, or went to school there.
HoopDreams
https://goducks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/eddy-ionescu/10385

ClayK said:

HoopDreams said:

ClayK said:

Oregon did not sign her twin brother. He was offered a chance to walk on, which of course Cal would have done too if that was what was required. Eddy never practiced or played for Oregon, or went to school there.
OBear073akaSMFan
I'm sure Nike has a lot more influence with Sabrina going to the Oregon school. Nike also backer to her AAU team.
annarborbear
Ever since Sabrina used the classless language that she was "dismissing Cal from her list" after years of Cal coaches going to her games and hosting her at Haas, I have dismissed her from any further TV viewing.
BearBint
The Liberty's win over Minnesota was a pretty good game, but the first two, both against Indiana, didn't provide much competition. And the Mystics shellacked them yesterday. Ionescu will probably prove a very good pro PG--that passing!--but she's still a rookie, with plenty to learn.
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

Ever since Sabrina used the classless language that she was "dismissing Cal from her list" after years of Cal coaches going to her games and hosting her at Haas, I have dismissed her from any further TV viewing.

I saw Sabrina respond in a very angry way in response to a female coach trying to talk to her during a timeout at the end of Oregon's season last year on TV. Sabrina snapped at her, and almost was in this woman's face. The conversation ended. Sabrina plays like winning is everything, too intense for me. I haven't been a fan of Kelly Graves since he was HC at St. Mary's. He interviewed for the Cal HC position when Cara Hortzmeyer was hired. Graves has been successful at all three schools, St. Marys, Gonzaga and Oregon. I am rooting for Charmin, her staff, and the players to have a successful 2021-2022 season. Go Bears!
GGV
ClayK
ClayK said:

HoopDreams said:

ClayK said:

I stand corrected. I paid no attention to men's basketball this year so I missed it.

Congrats to Eddy.
Ashfield63
ClayK said:

ClayK said:

HoopDreams said:

ClayK said:

I stand corrected. I paid no attention to men's basketball this year so I missed it.

Congrats to Eddy.

Eddie was interviewed at times during games on the Pac-12 station. He, Sabrina and Ruthie were roommates.
GGV
wbbilluminati
I was at Barclay's for the opener. Betnijah Laney was the best player on the floor, looked like an MVP candidate.

Sabrina is Sabrina. Quietly stuffed the stat sheet. Athletically doesn't stand out but was able to get space and get her shot off and still rebound well. Not as big, long, or athletic as Taurasi but could be that type of star with her passing ability and clutch shots.

Curious if Sabrina will make the Olympic team this summer. That's really important I think for her career trajectory and legacy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.