Eliza, too!

3,258 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wbbilluminati
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
just announced
wbbilluminati
"When you say the name Eliza Pierre to a true Cal women's basketball fan, you will undoubtedly get a smile in return,"

Purrrrrr!

https://calbears.com/news/2021/6/11/womens-basketball-eliza-pierre-returns-to-cal-as-assistant-coach.aspx

We love to see it!
SFCALBear72
What a bonanza!!! Made my day!!!
annarborbear
Presuming that Kai now goes to a non-coaching position, that will be an all new assistant coaching staff this coming year. Explains why Charmin wanted to go with several people with whom she is familiar. Hope that they can also recruit.
Schroeder71
Why is Kai going to a non-coaching position? I wondered how Cal would pay for four assistants when they always had three previously. Eliza Pierre must be 29 years old now...I am hoping that Kelly Cole, the former HC of Northeastern, can implement an offensive scheme that works for the Bears. I hope Eliza along with HC Charmin Smith can focus on defensive concepts like the full court press and the half court trap to create turnovers. Hopefully, Paul Reed can improve Cal's post play/rebounding as well as our collective recruiting over time.
2021-22 Women's Basketball Roster - University of California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
I thought teams can only have 3 assistant coaches
stu
The current roster shows Kai, Kelly, and Eliza listed as "Assistant Coach" and Paul listed as "Assistant Coach (Recruiting Coordinator)". Dunno if that distinction matters.

puget sound cal fan
Eliza is a great addition to the staff. She's the first Bear WBB alum on the staff, and a key member of the Final Four team to boot. She'd be a great coach to help prepare incoming frosh PG, Jayda Curry, for the rigors of D-1 ball.
mbBear
annarborbear said:

Presuming that Kai now goes to a non-coaching position, that will be an all new assistant coaching staff this coming year. Explains why Charmin wanted to go with several people with whom she is familiar. Hope that they can also recruit.
Eliza not being a good recruiter would be more surprising than her excelling at it.
LegoBear
They just updated it so that Kai is no longer listed as an assistant coach.

stu said:

The current roster shows Kai, Kelly, and Eliza listed as "Assistant Coach" and Paul listed as "Assistant Coach (Recruiting Coordinator)". Dunno if that distinction matters.

LodeBear
I feel that is a great move. I feel Kai was not getting the guards to reduce passing errors and shooting was poor. good job Charmin and congrats to Eliza.
bearchamp
Do any to the commentators here have any empirical evidence that Eliza is either a good coach or a good recruiter? Or, are you just relying on the fact she went to Cal and has been hired?
ncbears
bearchamp said:

Do any to the commentators here have any empirical evidence that Eliza is either a good coach or a good recruiter? Or, are you just relying on the fact she went to Cal and has been hired?
She has four years as an assistant at UCSB - so there is some empirical evidence. But, I don't know enough to tease out her influence.

In terms of defensive statistics:

Last year, Gauchos had 14 assists per game, (Cal was at 9.1) but also turnovers at 15.5/game (overall) and 14/game (conference) (Cal was at 20.6).

Gauchos' opponents shot 42.6% (overall) 40.6% (conference - Cal opponents shot 42.7.
Gaucho opponents shot threes at 32.5% (overall) and 29.2 (conference) - Cal opponents shot 34.5.

wvitbear
I believe the Gauchos have recruited pretty well the last couple of years. Injuries have hurt them. They had the freshman of the year a year ago and she got hurt this year.

Kai may be the only coach that has young kids. She may want to not travel as much.
wvitbear
Ile Lane was the player who was hurt.
annarborbear
Eliza has coaching promise. But I hope that she does not try to teach shooting. She was, unfortunately, the best example of someone whose shooting form should have had a makeover her freshman year,
ClayK
As an alum, I have always thought UCSB should be a mid-major powerhouse. There's no nicer place to live than Santa Barbara, and the league isn't that strong. I don't know about facilities, except that the Thunderdome is nice.

So looking at the roster, if Pierre recruited Ila Lane and Anya Choice, then she did a good job -- but I have no idea who was the lead on those two. Otherwise, it's not an impressive group, at least in terms of reputation coming out of high school and won-loss record.

As for teaching defense, it's really not that hard. Defense is pretty much about effort and a system -- and if the effort is there (and some athleticism), the system doesn't matter much (any one will work to some extent).

Pierre was a brilliant individual defender with an instinctive knack for angles that coupled with her athleticism made her one of the best I've seen. Now if she can teach how she used her angles then she could be a big help. That said, UCSB was not dazzling defensively, so it's hard to say.

In other words, wait and see ...
Fyght4Cal
So happy to Eliza back at Cal. Remember, she was a GA at Cal for, like, one day, before UCSB came calling. She's like family to Terri & me. She's the reason I got into Cal WBB as a fan, and a donor. My apologies in advance, but I will be acting a straight fool at their games this year. WELCOME HOME ELIZA!
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
SFCALBear72
Fyght4Cal said:

So happy to Eliza back at Cal. Remember, she was a GA at Cal for, like, one day, before UCSB came calling. She's like family to Terri & me. She's the reason I got into Cal WBB as a fan, and a donor. My apologies in advance, but I will be acting a straight fool at their games this year. WELCOME HOME ELIZA!

No need to apologize, I think plenty of us feel the same way. I personally am ecstatic. Plus we get to see this team in person in Haas.
stu
wvitbear said:

Kai may be the only coach that has young kids. She may want to not travel as much.
FWIW Kai is now listed on the roster page as "Special Assistant", the others as "Assistant Coach".
wbbilluminati
I think Ila Lane opted out of playing bc of covid before the season, not sure she was injured
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.