Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Women's Basketball

Cal Women's Basketball Freshman Jayda Curry Named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week

November 22, 2021

SAN FRANCISCO – Cal women's basketball freshman guard Jayda Curry has been named the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week for the second consecutive week as announced by the conference office on Monday afternoon. Curry becomes the first Cal freshman to win the award in consecutive weeks since Kristine Anigwe did it three straight times Nov. 30-Dec. 14, 2015.

The Corona, Calif., native led the Bears to another undefeated week with a home win over Utah State and a road win over UC San Diego on Saturday. Curry finished with 38 points, averaging 19.0 points per contest. She finished 11-for-32 from the field but was incredible from the line, going 12-for-14.

In the win over Utah State, Curry finished with 18 points going 5-for-14 from the field and 3-for-7 from beyond the arc. A three from Curry gave the Bears an early eight-point cushion and started a run that saw the Bears take control of the contest early in the second quarter.

On Saturday, Curry was the closer for the Bears. She scored 15 of her game-high 20 points after the intermission, which included 12 of Cal's 18 fourth quarter points, including the final eight. From the line Curry was clutch, going 7-for-8 for the game and 6-for-6 in the fourth quarter when the Bears were putting the game away. She also dished out a career-best seven assists in the win over the Tritons.

Curry also becomes the first Cal freshman to win the award multiple times since Kianna Smith did it three times in 2017-18. Oregon's Nyara Sabally was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week.

The 4-0 Golden Bears return to action on Friday when they host the Raising the B.A.R Invitational powered by Cal. Cal will host Furman at 1:00 p.m. PT with Ole Miss/San Diego State playing immediately after. Saturday the consolation game will tip of at 1:00 p.m. with the Championship game to follow. Tickets to the tournament can be purchased here. All four contests will be streamed live on the Cal Live Stream.

Cal Women's Basketball Freshman Jayda Curry Named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week

3,037 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stu
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow!! Two in a row!!

Congratulations, Jayda!!
MoragaBear
Staff
Seeing the competition as a voter, it wasn't even close. And she had far better stats than last week's overall POW but I'm guessing voters were reluctant to have FPOW and POW be the same player. But if that's the case, she really should've been POW last week because her stats were than much better than everyone else and it's a more important award.
BearBint
I know it's early, but I can't helping imagining Curry as Pac-12 FOY.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Ashfield63
BearBint said:

I know it's early, but I can't helping imagining Curry as Pac-12 FOY.

You gotta love Jayda! There is something about her that is so appealing. I am glad she is getting some recognition from the Pac-12 while playing for Cal. She is a 4.5 GPA highschool student. In an article I read about her, she was very disappointed to be bypassed from the ESPN Hpplgurlz top 100 list for 2021. Also, I think she said she cried when she did not make the MacDonald All American list. Her point being, she experienced the disappointment, and kept playing to her full capacity. So glad she is a BEAR!
GGV
Schroeder71
Cal is 4-0 and has outscored its opposition on average by 22.5 ppg. Jayda Curry is averaging 22 ppg. She is absolutely the key difference in this team in 2021.

https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021/pdf
GO BEARS!
Ashfield63
Schroeder71 said:

Cal is 4-0 and has outscored its opposition on average by 22.5 ppg. Jayda Curry is averaging 22 ppg. She is absolutely the key difference in this team in 2021.

https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021/pdf
GO BEARS!

Thank you for posting this....
GGV
stu
Jayda, thank you for doing this!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.