Washington State's defense has performed well in all eight victories.

5,351 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GATC
Baygbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think the team had been apart for a while for the holidays so I'm assuming Curry tested positive during that time so she would not have been in close contact to any of the team.

Skins just posted this tweet about Cal and mentioned that the league just finalized new rules. I wonder what those rules are because I'm sure Charmin would not have wanted to play this game is she could have avoided it.

(This quote was cut off)
"Its like in some sense team gets punished for minimizing COVID issues, if you have just enough available, whereas teams that have team wide outbreak, don't have to play really shorthanded, just postpone a bunch of games."
Ashfield63
Baygbear said:

I think the team had been apart for a while for the holidays so I'm assuming Curry tested positive during that time so she would not have been in close contact to any of the team.

Skins just posted this tweet about Cal and mentioned that the league just finalized new rules. I wonder what those rules are because I'm sure Charmin would not have wanted to play this game is she could have avoided it.

(This quote was cut off)
"Its like in some sense team gets punished for minimizing COVID issues, if you have just enough available, whereas teams that have team wide outbreak, don't have to play really shorthanded, just postpone a bunch of games."

Thank you .........One can only hope for the best of health in 2022......
GATC
Even though this was bad, I'm glad we didn't play Washington short handed and lost.
Schroeder71
I listened to the postgame with Charmin Smith and it did not last long. She was asked about whether Jayda Curry & Dalayah Daniels tested positive for Cov-19 and she was unable or unwilling to give a straight answer. The HC acted as if she thought that her team should have been able to play with Washington State even without its #1, #4 & #5 scorers. I don't know how she could think that...Washington State was an NCAA Tournament team last year.

Charmin should be more forthcoming if there was a Pac 12 rule change that forced the team to play the game tonight rather than cancel like the other 10 teams. I want to know the answer to that specific question. It was unfair to force Cal to play short-handed when everyone else gets a pass unless there was a rule change.
gljone
Not being to play with a full roster is going to be the reality.

And another reality is unless you restrict your roster's movements (i.e. - you cannot go home for the holidays, you are in the proverbial bubble), there is now a pretty high risk of being exposed to Covid.

I suppose it boils down to choices: is quality of life more important or is the team more important? It's a damned tough decision but one you have to deal with.

And I guess there is no good answer to any of this.

Charmin probably cannot speak to player health due to HIPAA laws...I would guess she is probably pretty frustrated with the whole deal.

Fact of the matter is if you play any team without your better players, you're going to suffer. I don't think this was a matter of coaching. The players and their talents decide the outcomes...coaching may impact a game or two in a season but in the end it's up to the players. And as you all know if this team is without Curry, Daniels and Green...all of whom have been playing well this season, this outcome was not a surprise.

SFCALBear72
During the Cal Poly postgame talk with Golden Way members, Charmin seemed a bit concerned about the unknown and unexpected that can happen when players go home for Christmas to be with their families and friends.

There is always the chance you may come in contact with someone asymptomatic who spreads the virus - at the airport, a family member, a friend, etc. Then you test positive. I'm guessing both Jayda and Dalayah learned their status before returning to Berkeley.

The new CDC guideline says it's now a 5-day quarantine instead of 10 days. Our next game is Friday. There is hope.

Jazzy is still out with the injury suffered during the McNeese State game. Hopefully, she will return soon too.

Silver lining from last night's game: Extended playing time for Michelle, Alma, Fatou, Mia and Ornela.

Go Bears!!

wvitbear
Hippa doesn't apply to Cal. It is only for hospitals and care providers. As a retired health care worker, we never could talk about these things.

But as an employer, there was nothing to stop me.
CalWSportsFan
wvitbear said:

Hippa doesn't apply to Cal. It is only for hospitals and care providers. As a retired health care worker, we never could talk about these things.

But as an employer, there was nothing to stop me.
Well actually, it's not so cut and dried: "Taking HIPAA's "covered entit[ies]" provisions at face value, college and university administrators often conclude their institution is a HIPAA-covered entity because a student health center provides medical treatment to students and engages in electronic billing transactions."

Top 5 Common HIPAA "Myths" That Arise in Higher Education
smh
curry covid!?

Schroeder71
WSU WBB: Kamie Ethridge Cal Postgame 12/31/21 - YouTube
stu
HoopDreams said:

... However it does suggest to me that Bush will not be a major player in conference play. That was my concern when we signed her. Still is early, but she is so undersized compared to Pac12 posts, and she has no shooting ability making it even tougher ...
IMHO a player Jadyn's size needs perimeter skills to be effective at this level. Like Ashley Walker.

That said, I think we're better with Jadyn than without her and I'm glad she's a Bear.
SFCALBear72
stu said:

HoopDreams said:

... However it does suggest to me that Bush will not be a major player in conference play. That was my concern when we signed her. Still is early, but she is so undersized compared to Pac12 posts, and she has no shooting ability making it even tougher ...
IMHO a player Jadyn's size needs perimeter skills to be effective at this level. Like Ashley Walker.

That said, I think we're better with Jadyn than without her and I'm glad she's a Bear.
Remember, Jadyn didn't play last season because the Ivy League shut down its basketball programs. With that much time off from basketball, it will take her some time to adjust particularly to this level of competition.

I, too, am glad she's a Bear. Her leadership skills are invaluable.
Schroeder71
The stats have been updated. Cal missed four players responsible for 39 points per game vs Washington State.

2021-2022 California Women's Basketball (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

GO BEARS in 2022!

annarborbear
For once our depth hurt us this year. Had enough players to play the game, but not the right players to make it competitive. Something wrong with the league's policies when everyone else was allowed to postpone.
Ashfield63
I had the pleasure of speaking with Jadyn Bush outside of Haas at the Open Practice festivities. She was wearing a boot on one leg. She basically said she had not played basketball in two years, and the practices affected her legs. She said she was fine to play in games and liked being at Cal. She missed playing her junior year due to having shoulder surgery. She started the St. Mary game, but did not play a lot of minutes. I noticed she was walking gingerly on both legs after coming out of the game. I think it was in the first quarter. I enjoyed talking to her. Jaydn is an impressive student athlete, and a positive addition to Cal WBB. The announcer for the Arkansas game noted Jaydn graduated from Harvard, and was a graduate student at Cal. He noted they were both excellent universities.

HoopDreams
That explains her limited PT recently

Also, for an undersized post who is a scrapy, hustle player, her legs are probably limiting her explosiveness, making it even tougher to play her game

Thanks for the insight

I'm certainly rooting for her
GATC
HoopDreams said:

That explains her limited PT recently

Also, for an undersized post who is a scrapy, hustle player, her legs are probably limiting her explosiveness, making it even tougher to play her game

Thanks for the insight

I'm certainly rooting for her

Makes sense. She didn't look 100% in the St Marys game and didn't come back in after she was subbed early.

In the talk after the game when people commented on how well Dalayah played, Charmin told the group that Dalayah was fifth in +/-. Jayda was first, then next was Jaydn. I think Cailyn and Evelien were next as Charmin commented that maybe she knows what she is doing (I assume this is in reference to who she starts).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.