Do You Remember our Players from Finland in the 1980's?

1,910 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by coachdeke
WayneBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Old-timers may recall that Gooch Foster recruited several players from Finland in the 1980's. While I still recognize all their names when I look back at Cal's history, I have to confess that my memory of these individual Finns has blurred because they all tended to be of a similar size, playing style, and appearance. In some years we had multiple Finns on the team and on the court, so you definitely needed a program back then.

Anyway, one of our Finns was Mia Kuusisto (now Mia Eklof), who played from 1985 to 1989 and who still merits several mentions in the Cal record book. And the reason I bring all this up is her daughter has just signed to play for Washington State beginning this fall. It's nice to see her follow in her mother's Pac-12 footsteps. Cia Eklof will be the only Scandinavian on the Cougars' roster so she should be easier to spot than her mom.

By the way, here are the Finns that I recognize from our all-time roster. I thought there were more than five so there may be names missing, and as is always the case with our record book some of the years may be incorrect or incomplete:

Auli Gronroos 1989, 90
Anja Hellman 1986, 87
Mia Kuusisto 1986, 87, 88, 89
Seija Leino 1986, 87
Heli Toikka 1983, 84, 85, 86
stu
I remember a few of the names but not the faces.

However who could forget Kari Kulonen, a.k.a. The Flying Finn, on our 1984-85 men's team!
Finnish Oski
I think you got them all. I remember Mia, Anja and Seija clearly. I translated for Mia's parents during a post game function once. Mia was a tall guard, Anja a shorter one and Seija a center. I'd love to see another Finn at Cal. Go Bears or as us Finns might say: Mene Karhut!
"I'm just here so I won't get fined."
wvitbear
Finnish Oski, Annharbor bear has a Finnish last name.

How about Huck Finn?
coachdeke
stu said:

I remember a few of the names but not the faces.

However who could forget Kari Kulonen, a.k.a. The Flying Finn, on our 1984-85 men's team!

Yea, he was all world warming up and also all world on the party circuit. Great potential, but he wasn't serious about playing hoops at a high level. Had a beer with him at McNally's; I think the smell of his cigarettes are still embedded in my old old sweaters.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.