michelle ugonne onyiah

13,632 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ncbears
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2094290

Shocky1
scoring points grabs all the headlines but championship basketball involves defense, michelle's ability to move with quick twitch cat like reflexes & ability to defend vertically makes her truly unique among the bears interior post players in defending future elite pac 12 posts

coach charmin needs to further develop those talents, 12 minutes a game isn't gonna get that done
stu
Offense too - 5 for 5 from the floor. And only 1 foul in those 12 minutes. Gotta work on the turnovers though.
Ashfield63
stu said:

Offense too - 5 for 5 from the floor. And only 1 foul in those 12 minutes. Gotta work on the turnovers though.

I was happy for Michelle tonight. She had her head in the game. She is an athlete, and made good moves in the paint......It would be great if she continues to play well, and has the consistency like ELS.
GGV
wvitbear
Biggest plus for Michele was she stayed out of foul trouble.
Schroeder71
Onyiah had a great offensive game last night. However, she is still too physically aggressive. She picked up her personal foul in her first minute on the court, again. Also, two of her baskets could have been called offensive fouls. Michelle initiated hard body contact with her defender and banked in a jump shot from the right side of the basket. The last FG was unbelievable. She was guarded by two or three Vandals yet she plowed through them to the basket and scored. It was an ill-advised play, but she stunned the defense and made 'em pay. GO BEARS!
wvitbear
Michele had a thunderous dunk attempt in practice.
stu
wvitbear said:

Michele had a thunderous dunk attempt in practice.
During the game an Idaho shot got stuck between the rim and the backboard. Alas, Michelle wasn't on the floor so the mop dude had to poke it out.
wvitbear
I was surprised Eva couldn't get it. When I was in high school, I could get tit and I am shorter than Eva and have short arms. I would bet Amaya could get tit.
Shocky1
Schroeder71 said:

Onyiah had a great offensive game last night. However, she is still too physically aggressive. She picked up her personal foul in her first minute on the court, again. Also, two of her baskets could have been called offensive fouls. Michelle initiated hard body contact with her defender and banked in a jump shot from the right side of the basket. The last FG was unbelievable. She was guarded by two or three Vandals yet she plowed through them to the basket and scored. It was an ill-advised play, but she stunned the defense and made 'em pay. GO BEARS!
trust me schroder, when the bears get into the brutal pac 12 competition there is no such thing as being "too physically aggressive"...yeah you can play kinda soft like d daniels against mid majors but that won't work against nationally ranked teams which is exactly what happened when the bears got punched in the face by the much more physical irish early in the game

that's why michelle's continued development in playing relentlessly playing defense with greater body control & situational court awareness is gonna require 20+ minutes per game & not the 12 minutes she got last nite

100% agree with your accurate description of her bucket with 2-3 vandals, she is truly amazing & maybe with greater gameday court minutes she will pass next time to a teammate for an uncontested bucket

apparently football trading cards are gonna be sold at the big game this saturday but gonna keep it real with you, i would trade 10 bears football cards for 1 signed michelle ugonne onyiah basketball card
Shocky1
wvitbear said:

I was surprised Eva couldn't get it. When I was in high school, I could get tit and I am shorter than Eva and have short arms. I would bet Amaya could get tit.
wvit, ur spelling is too funny but glad to hear you "could get tit" back in the day
wvitbear
One man's tit is another man's tat.
Shocky1
let's also talk about nor cal native (chico) peanut tuitele who last season at colorado provided strong physical post defense (something that was lacking in berkeley last season) & a very nice shooting stroke shooting 51.1% on field goals & an impressive 77.6% on free throws & a good not great 31.4% on 3 pointers

so last nite's perfect in rhythm 3 for 3 with a smooth release on 3 pointers is next level stuff, too early to say for sure right now, but extending post defenders out to the 3 point line will open up room/space inside for slashers like jayda & the relentless lutje around the bucket

let it fly, peanut, let it fly#

Shocky1
clay, did you ever see peanut in high school & if so are you surprised by her 3 point shooting?
ClayK
I did see her in high school and she didn't shoot threes.

But "surprised"? Not really. It is actually easier for taller stronger players to shoot three-pointers from a strength standpoint -- it's a question of proper form and taking the time to really work on that shot.

That said, some people are better shooters than others no matter what they do, but for a player like Tuitele, you don't know how effective she'll be from distance until a) you refine her form; b) she spends time on shooting threes; and c) is allowed to shoot them in games.

Smaller players have no inherent advantages over bigger players when it comes to long distance shooting, so I'm never really surprised when a big starts hitting open threes.
SFCALBear72
Shocky1 said:

clay, did you ever see peanut in high school & if so are you surprised by her 3 point shooting?
During an open practice, Peanut was asked about the difference between Colorado WBB and Cal WBB. She said at CU, she was coached to pass first. Shooting was secondary. What attracted her to Cal was the opportunity to take those shots when available.

Shocky1
this year's team got two +1 athletes in amaya bonner & michelle onyiah

ali bamberger, who is comparable to the post players of the multiple nationally ranked pac 12 teams, destroyed the bears offensively with 24 points on 9 of 19 field goals most of which were from point range flips/lay ups

michelle is the bears only defensive post player that got the athleticism to defend elite post players, today she played just 5 minutes

if coach charmin does not adjust her post playing rotation to include michelle for 20+ minutes per game to facilitate her development the bears are gonna be absolutely exploited in pac 12 conference play by elite posts...also needing 20+ mpg to further her tremendous upside is amaya

+1 athleticism wins in today's modern wbb collegiate game, the bears looked kinda slow today against a mid major squad

the canary in the coal mine#
Shocky1
michelle with 2 blocks & an impressive no turnovers while scoring 6 points on an efficient 3 of 5 fields in a very disappointing only 11 minutes

coach charmin can rack up wins over mid major teams right now but once pac 12 play starts against nationally ranked teams with elite post players, the bears interior post defense is gonna be absolutely eviscerated due to the lack of gameday minutes & development for the program's current only +1 athletic post defender

no onyiah is no bueno

win today/lose tomorrow#
wvitbear
Sometimes I wonder if Michele is in charmin's dog house. I think she should play more too. Her biggest problem is committing fouls. But the last two games she has avoided them. She is the most physically talented player of the big people.
Ashfield63
wvitbear said:

Sometimes I wonder if Michele is in charmin's dog house. I think she should play more too. Her biggest problem is committing fouls. But the last two games she has avoided them. She is the most physically talented player of the big people.

I sat behind the Cal bench at the St. Mary's game. When Charmin took Michelle out of the game she stopped her at the bench. Charmin cupped her hand over her mouth while saying something to Michelle. It looked like Michelle was being "talked to"........Michelle gets 3 sec. calls, and commits fouls at times when she has just entered the game. Michelle could be a terrific Pac-12 player. Her attention span or somethig is holding her back. As a freshman, Charmin said Michelle could be a Gennifer Brandon kind of player.

GGV
Shocky1
slightly better utilization of michelle against montana with 17 minutes, she needs the game minutes to develop better court awareness to reduce today's 3 fouls & 3 turnovers...on the plus side she scored 8 points on a once again highly efficient 4 of 7 field goals along with 2 blocks & 3 boards

peanut cleared 6 boards but only 2 points in 14 minutes as a starter

look, right now the bears are 5-1 with 6 more very winnable non conference games, the smu game will be a real battle but it will be played in berkeley

the starting line up for these 6 next games should include michelle to accelerate her development as an elite defender/rebounder against elite post players once pac 12 play commences with brutal games against nationally ranked powerhouses & not the current box of tasty fuchsia sprinkled cupcakes otherwise coach chairman's team got a real possibility of going 11-1 in non conference and going 3-15 in the pac 12

the key to wbb's final four team was coach gottlieb's foresight/patience in developing the +1 athletic gennifer brandon who could compete with the nation's top post players

yeah either charmin starts michelle the next 6 games or charmin is gonna keep her program at the basement of the basement of the pac 12 again
stu
Shocky1 said:

... the key to wbb's final four team was coach gottlieb's foresight/patience in developing the +1 athletic gennifer brandon who could compete with the nation's top post players ...
I thought Gennifer really came out as a freshie in the 2010 NIT game against UC Davis. DeNesha and Talia were standing around in the paint letting the Davis posts shoot uncontested midrange jumpers and we were losing. Coach Joanne Boyle yanked DeNesha and Talia and brought in Gennifer and Lauren. Those two shut down the Davis posts and Gennifer went crazy with 19 points and 21 rebounds to get us to overtime and the win. Watching that made me the second craziest person in the Haas.

IMHO Gennifer played with such innate talent, energy, and joy that coaching didn't seem to make much difference. All the coach had to do was put her on the court and marvel at the results. Like Brittany Boyd and Jason Kidd, Gennifer is one of my all-time Cal favorites.
Shocky1
stu, coaching mattered, like michelle at this point in her slow processing development because of charmin's minimal minutes, gennifer also struggled initially with foul problems & turnovers

gennifer was not by any stretch of the imagination a finished product early in her career, she was more like the energizer bunny in a fine china shop
stu
I don't think Gennifer was a finished product even at the end of her Cal career but I loved her anyway.

Another dimension to Gennifer's game is she could trap an opposing guard in the backcourt. I wonder if we could use Michelle that way as well.

If Gennifer isn't otherwise occupied maybe she could return as a grad assistant and work with Michelle.
mbBear
Shocky1 said:

slightly better utilization of michelle against montana with 17 minutes, she needs the game minutes to develop better court awareness to reduce today's 3 fouls & 3 turnovers...on the plus side she scored 8 points on a once again highly efficient 4 of 7 field goals along with 2 blocks & 3 boards

peanut cleared 6 boards but only 2 points in 14 minutes as a starter

look, right now the bears are 5-1 with 6 more very winnable non conference games, the smu game will be a real battle but it will be played in berkeley

the starting line up for these 6 next games should include michelle to accelerate her development as an elite defender/rebounder against elite post players once pac 12 play commences with brutal games against nationally ranked powerhouses & not the current box of tasty fuchsia sprinkled cupcakes otherwise coach chairman's team got a real possibility of going 11-1 in non conference and going 3-15 in the pac 12

the key to wbb's final four team was coach gottlieb's foresight/patience in developing the +1 athletic gennifer brandon who could compete with the nation's top post players

yeah either charmin starts michelle the next 6 games or charmin is gonna keep her program at the basement of the basement of the pac 12 again
Charmin could want Michelle in the line up for more minutes, starting, whatever, but might have any number of reasons why it hasn't happened....yet. Why not give her the benefit of the doubt that it will happen, and, as we all know, the tougher opponents (except for ND of course) are, by far, within the conference.
I don't follow the games close enough (even though I played a big part in getting the Cal women on radio for all their home games for the first time back in the day) but it seems like, based on box score rotation numbers, that if she can get her to 22 minutes or so, that would be key....someone can correct me if not true....
Shocky1
mb, agreed 22 minutes per game would significantly accelerate michelle's development...starting onyiah would guarantee minutes at both the beginning of the 1st & 2nd half

another factor is that michelle got the best free throw shooting mechanics of any of the bigs, if the bears are involved in close battles during the pac 12 season, michelle gotta be on the floor during the final minutes

coach charmin is a truly wonderful person & mentor but she does not deserve the benefit of doubt with respects to basketball related playing time decisions after her team has been buried in the pac 12 cellar for multiple seasons in a row

it's kinda like damien moore starting the 1st game instead of future nfl superstar jaydn ott, you gotta play your +1 athletes

that's awesome you got wbb on the radio back in the day, wbb is definitely a growth sport both collegiately & professionally
mbBear
Shocky1 said:

mb, agreed 22 minutes per game would significantly accelerate michelle's development...starting onyiah would guarantee minutes at both the beginning of the 1st & 2nd half

another factor is that michelle got the best free throw shooting mechanics of any of the bigs, if the bears are involved in close battles during the pac 12 season, michelle gotta be on the floor during the final minutes

coach charmin is a truly wonderful person & mentor but she does not deserve the benefit of doubt with respects to basketball related playing time decisions after her team has been buried in the pac 12 cellar for multiple seasons in a row

it's kinda like damien moore starting the 1st game instead of future nfl superstar jaydn ott, you gotta play your +1 athletes

that's awesome you got wbb on the radio back in the day, wbb is definitely a growth sport both collegiately & professionally
Charmin inherited less than a perfect situation, playing in the best conference in the country. That's a pretty tough road. Basketball is the sport that is quickest to turn around, I will give you that...but still isn't that easy.
We still don't know if Ott not playing had anything to do with still learning the playbook et. al. Coaches want to win more than fans do-I know that's breaking news. But yeah, that's the internet message board world, so whatever...

polarbear
I see with our two wins this last weekend and a loss by the Huskies, according to Massey's we are no longer in the Pac-12 ratings basement. They have us as #64 in the nation . Next to pass OSU, then ___, then___, and finally at the top of the ladder Furd! Note that our #64 would come very close to 4th place in the conference if it was MBB. They are sadly at a lowly #289 (out of 363 teams), one of the worst teams in the country.
annarborbear
I have now seen games of the teams we need to beat to get to at least eighth place. Washington should not be a problem, with or without Daniels. Same with Arizona State, although they are decent under their new coach. Oregon State is not what they have been, but not a pushover. We can beat them with good outside shooting. The real problem will be USC who has a tall athletic frontline, and a positive impact by Beth Burns on LG's coaching. To beat USC, I think that Michelle will need to have an impact on both defense and rebounding.
CalFanatic
polarbear said:

I see with our two wins this last weekend and a loss by the Huskies, according to Massey's we are no longer in the Pac-12 ratings basement. They have us as #64 in the nation . Next to pass OSU, then ___, then___, and finally at the top of the ladder Furd! Note that our #64 would come very close to 4th place in the conference if it was MBB. They are sadly at a lowly #289 (out of 363 teams), one of the worst teams in the country.

Massey has at 11-18? I would be shocked... I mean truly, truly shocked if we finished 11-18.
wvitbear
I don't think the men's program will do as well as 11 and 18.
stu
Maybe they meant the men would go 1 and 118 (projecting through subsequent seasons).
BearBint
stu said:

Maybe they meant the men would go 1 and 118 (projecting through subsequent seasons).
Stu, that's so mean (and made me laugh so much).
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
CalFanatic
Okay, that made me laugh.

I meant the WBB team is listed as a 11-18 projection. I have us (at a minimum) 16-13 going into the tourney.

Men will be lucky to win 2 games.
Shocky1
cal fanatic, unless michelle is developed as an athletic low post defender/offensive threat, the women's team will be lucky to win 2 games in the uber competitive pac 12
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.