michelle ugonne onyiah

13,706 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ncbears
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wrong, jaylen brown started as a true freshman at cal despite a propensity for charging over opposing players & drawing fouls along with reaching in fouls defensively because he thought he could tomahawk everybody's shots after getting behind them defensively

coach martin didn't bench his franchise current nba superstar because of fouls, you start raw +1 athletes & play them as many minutes possible in order to accelerate their development

failing to understand this with michelle along with recruiting too many short guards that can't defend/create their own shots against taller players (which has largely been corrected this past offseason via transfers out) is why charmin got a 5-29 pac 12 record

michelle is the only +1 athlete on the roster other than potentially amaya bonner...will be interesting to see if coach smith starts playing/developing amaya now that she's healthy with 15-20 minutes per game or just play mia & karisma who basically don't have to be accounted for by opposing teams on the offensive end

college basketball is dominated by teams that got +1 athletes
stu
If you count quickness and motor Leilani is a plus athlete.
Shocky1
stu, agreed leilei is a special talent with a non stop motor but it's no surprise to any junkies that cal lost almost pac 12 game when she wuz paired with other very short guards that lacked length which wuz often the case in charmin's 3 junior varsity sized starting guard line ups

no bueno
BearBint
As I've posted here before, I was impressed with Leilani and Mia as a defensive team, harassing the opposition to good effect, and I'm surprised we haven't seen more of such defense this season.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Shocky1
bear bint, what you describe will happen again mid majors but will not work against elite athletes with length

bonner needs the mia & karisma minutes to develop her mid range shooting game (she's a step faster than anybody guarding her) & elite defensive athleticism upside

the definition of insanity is doing the same thing year after year and hoping for a different result
stu
At my age I'm happy to get the same result year after year.
Ashfield63
Shocky1 said:

bear bint, what you describe will happen again mid majors but will not work against elite athletes with length

bonner needs the mia & karisma minutes to develop her mid range shooting game (she's a step faster than anybody guarding her) & elite defensive athleticism upside

the definition of insanity is doing the same thing year after year and hoping for a different result

Maybe you should replace Charmin!!! II don't know if you are a coach? It's dismaying to read your constant negative comments ie: Cupcake opponents, Jr. High guards, Charmin doesn't deserve her salary, being negative about Karisma Cortez who is coming back from a torn ACL. etc., etc., I hope Michelle can play super well, and help the Bears win games in the Pac-12. However, I have watched her time after time to just not be in the game. Fortunately, she has played very well and appears more focused of late. I am not trying to be critical, she's an awesome student athlete. I hope she is feeling positive about herself. Charmin is committed to having Michelle be the player we all hope she can be. It's easy to be down on the coach or certain players. I try not to go there. Being a mother and grandmother, I, like others, want the best for the players. Disparaging remarks, instead of constructive comments, do not create a positive appraisal of the Cal WBB Program.
wvitbear
Here is the difference between Shocky and Charmin. Shocky wants individuals to get better.

Charmin wants the team to get better.

I am not the biggest fan of Charmin, but I don't criticize her for what she is trying to do now.

Charmin realized she had some talent with lots of role players. With that in mind, she needed to see what those role players could do, who they played best with, and what they shouldn't be doing. Injuries way layed some of her progress. but this is what I see.

First, she wanted to reduce the number of minutes that Leilani and Jayda played. She wanted them fresh in the 4th quarter.

She also wanted to improve on her defense. Defense means fresh bodies as defense is energy and you have to be fresh to get that energy.

She needed a back up point guard. Ergo Ortiz who can't shoot well from the outside but can run a team and defend fairly well.

She needed another outside scorer so we get Martin who can shoot and pass well.

We needed four bigs to rotate. Hopefully with slightly different skill sets. Claudia can shoot from out side. When have had a big who could consistently shoot fro outside?

Michele and EVa can block shots and when they get their feet set can score inside. Peanut is an enforcer.

Amaya and Mia are wing defenders. Amaya can develop into a fine all around player.

Role for Shocky, watch Amaya in warmups and give us a report on her change in shooting form, ball rotation on the release and trajectrory of her shots.

Who do you want out there defensively when we play the zone. And break down the zone for us. Is it a 3-2 or 1-3-1.

Seems like we have played better the second half in a lot of our games. Frequent subs have helped. But in the last game was it my imagination but did we only play 7 people in the second half?

Comments.
mbBear
wvitbear said:

Here is the difference between Shocky and Charmin. Shocky wants individuals to get better.

Charmin wants the team to get better.

I am not the biggest fan of Charmin, but I don't criticize her for what she is trying to do now.

Charmin realized she had some talent with lots of role players. With that in mind, she needed to see what those role players could do, who they played best with, and what they shouldn't be doing. Injuries way layed some of her progress. but this is what I see.

First, she wanted to reduce the number of minutes that Leilani and Jayda played. She wanted them fresh in the 4th quarter.

She also wanted to improve on her defense. Defense means fresh bodies as defense is energy and you have to be fresh to get that energy.

She needed a back up point guard. Ergo Ortiz who can't shoot well from the outside but can run a team and defend fairly well.

She needed another outside scorer so we get Martin who can shoot and pass well.

We needed four bigs to rotate. Hopefully with slightly different skill sets. Claudia can shoot from out side. When have had a big who could consistently shoot fro outside?

Michele and EVa can block shots and when they get their feet set can score inside. Peanut is an enforcer.

Amaya and Mia are wing defenders. Amaya can develop into a fine all around player.

Role for Shocky, watch Amaya in warmups and give us a report on her change in shooting form, ball rotation on the release and trajectrory of her shots.

Who do you want out there defensively when we play the zone. And break down the zone for us. Is it a 3-2 or 1-3-1.

Seems like we have played better the second half in a lot of our games. Frequent subs have helped. But in the last game was it my imagination but did we only play 7 people in the second half?

Comments.
The idea that a freshman isn't ready to contribute at a high level is a pretty old concept. Watching 5-10 minutes of a game, okay, and warm ups vs. hours of practice is not the same. So, what is she adjusting to, and how is she coming back from injury. Charmin might just have a clue about that....
ClayK
In the modern game, wings must shoot threes. Amaya Bonner has attempted three in 10 games and missed them all.

Bonner, like many young gifted athletes, spent her whole youth career going to the basket to her left. No one could really stop her, especially as scouting is limited and her propensity to go left was never really noticed.

Bonner, for whatever reason, never played in a system that allowed/forced her to develop her three-point shot, and it is very difficult to do so this late in the development cycle. Playing her more will not improve her shooting, necessarily, and though she has the potential to be a good defender, that too was never demanded/expected of her at the lower levels.

If Bonner cannot force the defense to defend her beyond the arc, her defender will sag to the paint to clog up the post. And defense is not me vs. you, but us vs. them, so playing within the defensive scheme is equally as important as being able to shadow your man.

Bonner may well develop into a fine Pac player, but the other aspect we do not see is practice. If she is getting outplayed in practice every day, she does not deserve to get more minutes. We don't know that, of course, but generally coaches are not stupid, and play the players who have shown in practice that they can help the team play to its potential.
HoopDreams
This is right, but she can improve to address her weakness on offense.

I had not noticed she can not drive right, but t's literally the first thing I look for when scouting a player.

She can improve in one year by developing a right hand drive, otherwise she will be too easy to defend on her main strength (driving)

Second she can improve her handle. Changing speeds, hesi, combos

She can add a mid range jumper, and an array of non-layup shots around the basket with a skills coach

It took Joel Brown 4 years , but he's improved in all the above areas

Of course Bonner also needs to improve her 3 point shooting.. She should only focus on catch and shoot and fix her form. Unlikely she will ever be a good college 3 point shooter, but if she can keep defenses honest it will help the things you point out

ClayK said:

In the modern game, wings must shoot threes. Amaya Bonner has attempted three in 10 games and missed them all.

Bonner, like many young gifted athletes, spent her whole youth career going to the basket to her left. No one could really stop her, especially as scouting is limited and her propensity to go left was never really noticed.

Bonner, for whatever reason, never played in a system that allowed/forced her to develop her three-point shot, and it is very difficult to do so this late in the development cycle. Playing her more will not improve her shooting, necessarily, and though she has the potential to be a good defender, that too was never demanded/expected of her at the lower levels.

If Bonner cannot force the defense to defend her beyond the arc, her defender will sag to the paint to clog up the post. And defense is not me vs. you, but us vs. them, so playing within the defensive scheme is equally as important as being able to shadow your man.

Bonner may well develop into a fine Pac player, but the other aspect we do not see is practice. If she is getting outplayed in practice every day, she does not deserve to get more minutes. We don't know that, of course, but generally coaches are not stupid, and play the players who have shown in practice that they can help the team play to its potential.
wvitbear
Clay, I disagree about improving shooting. The whole NBA has improved on its outside shooring over the last few years. Lelani went from shooting around 28% from three point land to leading the conference this year with almost 50%. she has improved every year.
mbBear
ClayK said:

You gave content to my speculation...thank you.
ClayK
wvitbear said:

Clay, I disagree about improving shooting. The whole NBA has improved on its outside shooring over the last few years. Lelani went from shooting around 28% from three point land to leading the conference this year with almost 50%. she has improved every year.
Improving shooting is a really complex process, but yes, it can be done.

The most difficult part, as I point out to young players too often, is that you have to miss them to make them -- in other words, you need to have games where you miss a lot of threes to develop to the point that you can make them. That said, players don't like to fail, and struggle with missing a lot of shots when they're used to scoring at the rim and being a star. And coaches don't have the luxury of letting a player shoot them out of a game or two or three in hopes that she'll shoot them into a game or two or three at some distant point in the future.

So the time to develop three-point skills is in club ball and high school, where parents come into the mix and want to win -- the only metric they can understand about the team their daughters play for,

But yes, some players can develop three-point shots in college and the pros. Most, however, do not -- Brittany Boyd is a classic example, as she cost herself a million dollars because she just couldn't make threes in games.
Shocky1
michelle getting intentionally elbowed by ucla big, keeping her poise

kemery martin en fuego this afternoon
Shocky1
this is the emotional ever seen coach charmin on the sidelines & that's a good thing
Schroeder71
Michelle Onyiah seems to disappear whenever Cal plays a top team like Stanford, UCLA or USC. These teams have formidable centers that are at least as tall (6-4) as Michelle is. She seems to get even more fired up for these encounters and attempts to match her opponent's physicallity. Onyiah fouls out usually in a dozen minutes or so which is a foul every two or three minutes. I really wish she could play more under control so that she could play twenty minutes to help the team more. Everyone can see her potential if she could simply harness her emotions.
Shocky1
s71, michelle is the program's only +1 athlete (it's possible amaya bonner may also possess that elite athleticism), the failure to coach her up/develop her thru 25+ minutes per game during the preseason against overmatched mid majors is now showing up in the wins & losses
ClayK
"Failure to coach her up" ...

That's certainly possible, but it's also possible, and more likely, that she is unable, for whatever reason, to execute what her coaches throughout her career have told her she needs to do.

Again, sometimes a specific coach can communicate with a specific player in ways other coaches couldn't, but at this point, she's been coached by numerous people who have all (or at least 90%) said the same thing: "Don't foul unnecessarily, take care of the ball, look for the open player when you're double-teamed."

At what point does the responsibility for not doing what needs to be done shift from the coaches to the player?
wvitbear
I would say that Leilani is very athletic too.
Shocky1
leilani got the heart of a tiger but she is not a +1 athlete like michelle & amaya bonner who are not being developed by coach charmin & her staff

the 1-7 bears in pac 12 conference are still featuring karisma ortiz who has played 380 minutes (remarkably the 5th most on the team) vs michelle's 249 minutes & amaya's 80 minutes

ortiz is shooting 28.3% on the season including 17.9% on 3 pointers, opponents literally do no defend her & sag on her teammates yet she continues to play...the same can be said for mia mastrov, 25.9% on field goals & 24.3% 3 pointers with 216 minutes

this is just poor roster utilization & development and a reflection of poor coaching
ClayK
You could be right but unless you're at practice every day you don't really know.

I don't follow it closely enough to say anything definitive, but there are two sides to the game, offense and defense, and simply quoting offensive statistics does not give a full evaluation of a player's contributions.

And, though I have no idea, if Mia Mastrov and/or Karisma Ortiz are outplaying Amaya Bonner every day in practice, then why would Bonner get more minutes?

As for Onyiah, her strengths and weaknesses are obvious. You can focus on one or the other, but the whole package is what drives coaching decisions.

wvitbear
Ortiz plays to give our other guards a rest. She can play point pretty well. She doesn't shoot well but she may be our best defensive guard plus rebounding guard. Sometimes she plays the four.

Mia also is one of our better defenders. And occasionally she gets hot. But not every game.
Shocky1
clay, if this team/program is 7-44 in pac 12 games, then the future requires the development of +1 talent so in that sense it doesn't really matter what amaya (who got major upside) does in practice vs karisma & mia (who got low ceilings, they are who they are)

would not be surprised if michelle doesn't earn her berkeley degree after next season & then grad transfer home to usc or ucla and earn all pac 12 honors

wvit, one of the primary reasons the bears gave up dozens of uncontested layups yesterday other than the fact that michelle is the only post that can athletically hang with elite opposing posts is because of coach charmin's failed strategy to play ortiz as a 4, opposing players with length & hops can literally make a bucket almost whenever they want to impose their will against the gutty but undersized wing
ClayK
Shocky, you are right about development -- but it begins in practice. Players show who they are, and what their ceiling is, in practice. If you cannot outperform a particular player in repeated practices, then why is there any reason to believe that playing in games will result in a better performance?

The bulk of time -- and improvement -- comes in practice, not in games.

If a player does not improve with practice, there is little reason to believe they will improve by playing in games.

Now, all that said, it's possible Charmin Smith is simply making a mistake with Amaya Bonner, and Bonner is actually a better player than Mia or Karisma. She is a better athlete, but I'm not convinced she's that much better than Mia in that regard. There's more to athleticism that jumping ability and a quick first step to the left.

The other issue is this: Should you play to maximize your competitiveness and chance to win right now, or should you play to build for the future? As you and many others point out, Charmin's record is not good, which is hard on her, hard on the players and, perhaps most important, hard on coaches who go out and recruit.

If you punt this season and get blown out every night in the name of future wins, is that better than playing competitive games and telling recruits we're just a player away?

There are no simple answers to either situation, and given that we don't go to practice, and we don't know what recruits tell our coaches, we lack the information to really make an informed black-and-white decision.
wvitbear
Michele doesn't play point guard where the bulk of Ortiz's time goes. And she doesn't play wing where Mia's time goes.
annarborbear
In this instance, there is plenty of evidence that Charmin has explained to Michele over and over again what she is supposed to do. This has been observed many times in games and in practices over two and one-half seasons. Michele even put it all together in one game last year, the tournament game against Utah. However, the ultimate outcome is now beyond explanation. It certainly does put the team at a huge disadvantage.
UrsineMaximus
ClayK said:

Shocky, you are right about development -- but it begins in practice. Players show who they are, and what their ceiling is, in practice. If you cannot outperform a particular player in repeated practices, then why is there any reason to believe that playing in games will result in a better performance?

The bulk of time -- and improvement -- comes in practice, not in games.

If a player does not improve with practice, there is little reason to believe they will improve by playing in games.

Now, all that said, it's possible Charmin Smith is simply making a mistake with Amaya Bonner, and Bonner is actually a better player than Mia or Karisma. She is a better athlete, but I'm not convinced she's that much better than Mia in that regard. There's more to athleticism that jumping ability and a quick first step to the left.

The other issue is this: Should you play to maximize your competitiveness and chance to win right now, or should you play to build for the future? As you and many others point out, Charmin's record is not good, which is hard on her, hard on the players and, perhaps most important, hard on coaches who go out and recruit.

If you punt this season and get blown out every night in the name of future wins, is that better than playing competitive games and telling recruits we're just a player away?

There are no simple answers to either situation, and given that we don't go to practice, and we don't know what recruits tell our coaches, we lack the information to really make an informed black-and-white decision.
I disagree. Practice provides repetition and fundamentals. But it is only by playing (experience) that you truly improve ~ mostly because in competition against opponents your strengths and weaknesses truly come to the surface. Perhaps you "thought" you were good at one aspect of the game only to realize you really are lacking. Once realized, back at practice you know what you need to work on. Over the years, I've had several teammates that were meh during practice but lit it up in games.

In Michelle case, if it hasn't happened by now it will likely never happen ~ save a game or two here and there. I wonder if she loves the game of basketball? She's an eclectic person with many different interests.
wvitbear
Ortiz is a point guard. Amaya is not. Never will be. I have watched Amaya since her sophomore year in high school. She is a wing who needs to develop her outside shot. Which she should do in practice as she has some serious faults in her release.

Have also watched her in practice.
HoopDreams
Ortiz is playing mostly for her ability to guard multiple positions when we go small, and for depth and ball handling

but I question her getting more of Mia's minutes, because I'm a big believer in having as many shooters on the floor as possible, assuming they are not a big liability on defense

Bonner has good size and athleticism, but her shooting is poor which greatly holds her back offensively at the college level, and from what I've seen she is still learning team defense

I expect she will get more PT next year as her defensive fundamentals improve, and hopefully she rebuilds her shot (for maybe significant improvement in her Junior year)
wvitbear
If you watch Amaya during warmups her shot has gotten better. Higher arc and better rotation. But during the game when she gets excited, it reverts. She did make a three the other day and it looked pretty good.
HoopDreams
good sign, but it takes time to rebuild your shot and translate it to game results

maybe she can do it faster than most

wvitbear said:

If you watch Amaya during warmups her shot has gotten better. Higher arc and better rotation. But during the game when she gets excited, it reverts. She did make a three the other day and it looked pretty good.
wvitbear
I've played basketball but I was a better golfer. If you want to chnge your swing, you have to do it on the practice range. And you have to correct your flaws. Just hitting a lot of balls without correcting your errors will just imbed those errors.
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

In this instance, there is plenty of evidence that Charmin has explained to Michele over and over again what she is supposed to do. This has been observed many times in games and in practices over two and one-half seasons. Michele even put it all together in one game last year, the tournament game against Utah. However, the ultimate outcome is now beyond explanation. It certainly does put the team at a huge disadvantage.

You said it well in regards to Michelle...Beyond Explanation.........I remember Charmin saying Michelle could be another Gennifer Brandon. I just don't think it's going to happen for Michelle. I don't want to be negative, and hope the best for her. It's difficult to agree with Shockey's point of view, and place the blame on Charmin.
HoopDreams
agree, that's why i said she might be able to improve her shooting for her junior year

one off season to rebuild her shot, one off season to make it work in game situations

she can improve her FT shooting faster as she has more time to think about her form and not have to deal with having to make quick decisions and have a defender in her face

she probably won't ever be a great college shooter but if she can hit open catch and shoot opportunities it will help her entire offensive game, and the team as defenders cant cheat off her

wvitbear said:

I've played basketball but I was a better golfer. If you want to chnge your swing, you have to do it on the practice range. And you have to correct your flaws. Just hitting a lot of balls without correcting your errors will just imbed those errors.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.