OT-Mitty crushes Heritage, 77-8, to open the season in Brentwood.

8,102 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Schroeder71
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Folsom beat Salesian by four or so. It was tied in the last minute.

Piedmont, without Trinity Zamora took care of Acalanes.

Carondelet beat Moreau Catholic easily.

Clovis West struggled with Marin Catholic before winning.

Mater Dei beat St. Mary's of Stockton by 15.

Antelope beat Pinole badly -- and a PV parent ran on the floor twice to berate the refs and the police had to be called. (And we wonder why there's a shortage of officials.)
wvitbear
This used to be a thing you would see in baseball and soccer. Now you have it in girls basketball. You must really feel it in at the Jamboree where officials do multiple games. How much do they pay these guys and gals/
ClayK
They get about $65 a game, which is not nearly enough for the abuse they absorb -- from people who have no idea what the rules are or what good officiating is.
wvitbear
As a former littlle league president, i can tell you about rules.
I used to tell my umpires it was no sin to not know a rule but it was a sin to not have your rule book with you.

Parents don't know the rules at all. I learned them painfully.
HoopDreams
basketball must be one of the hardest sports to ref

I commented to my friend during the Men's game when there were two back to back plays where players reached for the ball and it went out of bounds

I told him those plays were really tough to call, and the refs probably didn't know who the ball went out on. As a ref you just have to make a quick decision and look confident when making the call

then there are the judgement calls like the block/charge

then there are the fouls that are open to interpretation, such as a walk. I don't know how many times people complained about a walk and not knowing the rules. This also happens in pickup basketball. Typically I try to explain it for a while, and then just say 'what ever'

I tried to ref basketball for a while and was terrible at it.
Schroeder71
Last night in the Willow Glen area of San Jose, Archbishop Mitty (17-2) dominated Presentation, 64-15. The visiting Monarchs set the tone in the initial 8 minutes (1st quarter), 19-0. Once again, the same three key players sat at the end of the bench side-by-side. The group of nine that are playing are clicking as a team about as well
as can be expected.

AM will host St Ignatius this Saturday evening at 5:30 pm.
wvitbear
Boring game.
ClayK
Those are tough ones. Presentation wants out of the league and is non-competitive.

In fact, the whole WCAL is down this year, which may hurt Mitty in postseason. Of course, getting Morgan Cheli back would offset a lot ...
Schroeder71
Archbishop Mitty 76, St Ignatius 27.
St. Ignatius vs Archbishop Mitty | Girls Basketball | 1/28 (maxpreps.com)
The Monarchs only opened up a 13 point lead over SI (30-17) at halftime. However, the second half was a completely different outcome. AM outscored the visitors by 46-10 over the final 16 minutes. This was a rematch of the WCAL opener in San Francisco on January 11th in which Mitty won by 35 points.
wvitbear
Boring game. Folsome destroyed some team by similar amount should I post it. My home team Albsany is not very good and gets destroyed often. Maybe I should post it.
SBGold
do we have a chance at getting Morgan Cheli?

Piedmont keeps rollin' baby
graguna
SBGold said:

yup - the Piedmont Highlanders ( or rather the Millennium Falcon's ) are still undefeated. Go Purple!
ClayK
SBGold said:

Morgan Cheli can choose between Stanford and UConn at this point -- which means anywhere she wants.
Schroeder71
wvitbear-my favorite college and high school teams to watch play are Stanford and Archbishop Mitty, respectively. I love the way that those teams play and how they're coached.

In the Nike TOC, Sue Phillips had a nine player rotation without her two transfers and without Morgan Cheli. She substituted two 5-3 soph guards (that were on the frosh or jv team last season) and a senior guard that played on the JVs last year. The Monarchs captured 3 out of 4 games against top level competition. The loss was to Long Island Lutheran that won the Vincent Division by easily defeating La Jolla Country Day.

Mitty (18-2) has played fourteen games without Cheli and four without frosh center McKenna Wolizcko. The Los Gatos HS transfer, Belle Bramer, has yet to play a game. The three guards mentioned above have been improving by leaps and bounds playing every game. AM has run away with three consecutive victories by 49 points each.

Mitty (18-2) travels to San Francisco to face Sacred Heart Cathedral (17-2) on Wednesday night at 7:30 pm. SHC is the only WCAL team that can give Mitty a competitive game. The Monarch's backup point guard April Chen and the three inexperienced varsity (before 2022-23) guards mentioned above have to face three very good guards from the City. I hope that NFHS has the feed for this matchup.
wvitbear
Should i post my favorite team even though they lose almost every game?

On a Cal board we want to know who from that team is Cal recruiting. Since you have an in with Sue, you should tell us.

By the way, Christian Brothers of Sacramento beat Clovis by 8 points. Clovis was rated.
Schroeder71
wvitbear-if I'm Charmin Smith, I would track the Mitty freshman 6-1 or 6-2 center, McKenna Wolizcko (#20), and the junior 6-1 transfer SF, Elana Weisman (#44). The frosh is slender but fast. athletic and a jumping jack. She already has a bank jump shot on either side of the rim that no Cal post possesses. Mitty is not keeping public stats but she has scored 20 points and grabbed 15 rebounds a couple of times. Weisman was listed as a center for Burlingame HS but is playing an outside wing for Mitty. Elana has a Div I body but is not overly fast. She is hitting beautiful treys from deep. She is acclimating after 8 or 9 games in January to the full court press and rebounding. Maya Hernandez (6-1) is the PF and top shot blocker. She is a senior so perhaps next season there will be room inside for Weisman.

Maya Hernandez (senior) and McKenna Wolizcko (freshman) combined to win the three games in the Nike TOC.
They have quickly learned how to play off one another's games. Last year it was Morgan Cheli and Maya responsible for grabbing the rebounds for the Monarchs. This season AM has decent height with 8 players standing 6-0 to 6-2.
stu
ClayK said:

SBGold said:

Morgan Cheli can choose between Stanford and UConn at this point -- which means anywhere she wants.
I've read here that Morgan Cheli has been out with an injury for a while. Is she going to be OK?
Schroeder71
Archbishop Mitty High School (San Jose, CA) Girls Varsity Basketball (maxpreps.com)

The Monarchs (19-2) defeated the Irish 69-46 last night in San Francisco. Mitty only held an eight-point lead after three quarters but shutdown Sacred Heart Cathedral, 21-6, in the final period. AM welcomed back frosh center McKenna Wolizcko (#20) after missing five games. Juniors Morgan Cheli and Belle Bramer continued to sit at the end of the bench in street clothes.
Schroeder71
Saint Francis vs Archbishop Mitty | Girls Basketball | 2/3 (maxpreps.com)

Mitty Monarchs 82, Saint Francis Lancers 41. AM is now 20-2 with two WCAL
games remaining against Valley Christian (A) and Presentation (H).
wvitbear
Boring games. Should I post all the boring games on our web site.
Schroeder71
The CCS & NorCal Open Division playoffs should be beginning in two weeks. If Morgan Cheli doesn't return for the postseason, the Monarchs might get upset in NorCals. If not there, they'll get KO'd vs the top SoCal teams
for certain. Sierra Canyon's Ju Ju Watkins is the most prolific scorer in recent years, scoring 60 points in a game last week. SC slaughtered AM last year for the state championship. Wvitbear- guess that could be considered boring, too.
Schroeder71
Tonight, Archbishop Mitty traveled to Valley Christian for a 7:30 pm game. I watched it on NFHS network.
There is no sound and to scoreboard that I can see during the game. At the end of each quarter, I see Mitty's score briefly but I could never see the Valley Christian score on the left side of the scoreboard.

I wrote down the Monarch's score at the end of each quarter:
1st-25
2nd-53
3rd- 77
4th-92

The Monarchs ran away from the Warriors by 55 points. Final Score: AM 92, VC 37

It appears to me with only one WCAL game left on the schedule that juniors Morgan Cheli and Belle Bramer
will not play again this season. I would give it a 90% probability because they do not warm up or anything. They sit on the end of the bench in sweats. I do not know their respective injuries nor do I have any inside knowledge of HC Sue Phillip's plans for the CCS & Norcal Open Division playoffs coming up. AM hosts Presentation on Saturday evening to close out the regular season. I would guess that the Monarchs have a good shot to capture the CCS but they may get upset in NorCals. We shall see.
Schroeder71
Morgan Cheli returned to action for the final game of the regular season after missing 17 games. She came off the bench in each of the first 3 quarters and made 6 or 7 baskets. The final score was Archbishop Mitty 73, Presentation 7. The Monarchs finished the regular season 22-2. The CCS Open Division begins next Friday night. Eleven players rotated for three quarters and only the transfer, Belle Bramer, remains out w/ an injury.

I predict Archbishop Mitty will defeat any NorCal opponent but will not have a chance vs Sierra Canyon (#1 in USA) just like in last year's CA State Championship. These Monarch players perform better ***as a team*** than any Archbishop Mitty group that I can remember. Sue Phillips has done a masterful job this season (2022-23). It has been enjoyable to follow THIS TEAM.
Schroeder71
CIF CCS Playoffs (4 games over one week) to decide the CCS Championship:
CIF-Central Coast Section (cifccs.org)
wvitbear
5 teams in top 11 in NCS playoff. More interesting.
Schroeder71
NCS is playing games to qualify all of their tough teams for Nor Cals. They only play six teams in the Open yet have BOD seeded #1 in D II, Marin Catholic seeded #1 in D III and Piedmont seeded #1 in D IV. Piedmont is ranked #1 in Northern California and Bishop O'Dowd is #15 & Marin Catholic #16. NCS could have easily formulated an eight team Open Division. They have more depth of good teams than any other section in the Northern part of the state. "What goes around, comes around." Piedmont will get their karma soon.
wvitbear
Division IV teams can't play in the open. Clay can explain this.
Schroeder71
Archbishop Mitty obliterated Crystal Springs Uplands, 93-30, with Morgan Cheli back in the lineup.

Crystal Springs Uplands vs Archbishop Mitty | Girls Basketball | 2/17 (maxpreps.com)
Schroeder71
On Monday night, Archbishop Mitty pummeled Branham by 54 points (78-24) !
Branham vs Archbishop Mitty | Girls Basketball | 2/20 | MaxPreps

On Wednesday night, the Monarchs face Los Gatos @5:30 pm. The CCS Open title game will be Friday night at Santa Clara University.

Archbishop Mitty 85, Los Gatos 27.

AMHS Athletics on Twitter: "Women's basketball beats Los Gatos 85-27 to win Pool A of the CCS Open Division Playoffs and advance to the championship game Friday night at 6pm at Santa Clara. #GoMonarchs https://t.co/4PY26C1DxU" / Twitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pinewood 71, Sacred Heart Cathedral 50. 14-30 three-point field goals (47%) hit by Pinewood!

CCS Championship (2/24): Archbishop Mitty (25-2) vs Pinewood (16-10) at Santa Clara University (6 pm)

NFHS will be live streaming the game tonight!
Archbishop Mitty 74, Pinewood 51
Schroeder71
Mitty freshman, McKenna Woliczko, voted WCAL MVP! Cal had better make her an offer soon.

McKenna Woliczko is named WCAL Player of the Year | NorCalPreps.com (rivals.com)

She averaged 20.4 ppg and in excess of 10 rpg.
Schroeder71
NFHS will broadcast the NorCal Open semi-final Saturday night at 6 pm between Clovis West (30-1) & Archbishop Mitty (26-2). AM & CW are ranked #2 & #4, respectively, in the state of California.

Monarchs 63, Golden Eagles 43.

Archbishop Mitty (CCS) vs Salesian (NCS) for the NorCal Open championship next Tuesday, March 7th, @ 7 pm!
Schroeder71
NorCal Championship: Archbishop Mitty Monarchs 86, Salesian Pride 49.

2023 CIF State Girls Basketball Championships (Open Division ) - MaxPreps

CA State Championship: Mitty (San Jose) vs Etiwanda (San Bernadino) on Saturday night, 6 pm, in Sacramento
Schroeder71
Etiwanda defeated Archbishop Mitty, 69-67, with a rebound put-back at the buzzer. The Monarchs led most of the game and at halftime and the end of the 3rd quarter but could not make the clutch shot at the end. Etiwanda's defense forced 21 turnovers which probably cost the game. Mitty was also unable to dominate the boards like they normally do. Monarchs held the lead by 7 points w/ 2:28 remaining and lost. Great game!
stu
Schroeder71 said:

Etiwanda defeated Archbishop Mitty, 69-67, with a rebound put-back at the buzzer. The Monarchs led most of the game and at halftime and the end of the 3rd quarter but could not make the clutch shot at the end. Etiwanda's defense forced 21 turnovers which probably cost the game. Mitty was also unable to dominate the boards like they normally do. Great game!
Did Mitty have all of their players 100% healthy?
3Cats4CAL
Do Wolizcko and Cheli even get offers from Cal or it is obvious that its a snowball's chance....so not even make an offer ??
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.