Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Cal Women's Basketball
Cal Women's Basketball

Cal Defeats Pacific 83-66

December 10, 2022

BERKELEY, Calif. – The Cal women’s basketball team (7-2) got off to a fast start to take down the Pacific Tigers (5-5) at Haas Pavilion Saturday night. Kemery Martín led four Bears in double-figure scoring with a game and season-high 21 points, which included five 3-pointers, tying a career-high. Martín went 5-5 from deep at Arizona State on Jan. 24, 2021. She has now hit at least three 3-pointers in three of the last five games.

“I thought we started the game really well offensively,” said Cal head coach Charmin Smith. “We talked about pace and movement and I thought they did a good job executing that early on. We still have some defensive things to work through and lost us a little bit to start the second half. We just have to keep building it and keep getting better.”

Cal started the game on a blistering pace hitting 11 of their first 12 shots, including nine straight, to take control of the game early. Led by Martin’s 10 points, including two 3-pointers, the Bears shot 77.8 percent in the quarter and finished with 33 points, tied for most points in a quarter this season since they scored 33 points in the third quarter of the season-opener against CSUN on Nov. 11.

In the second quarter, Cal clamped down on defense holding Pacific to 18.8 shooting and just 11 points. The Bears held the Tigers to a scoring drought that lasted over six minutes where they missed 11 straight shots. Cal went into the half up 52-32 which marked a season-high for first-half points after scoring 45 first-half points against Idaho on Nov. 16

The Bears came out cold in the third quarter going just 2-for-7 in the opening minutes and the Tigers used a 6-0 run to get back in the game, which was eventually ended by a Mia Mastrov jumper at the 5:38 mark. In the quarter, Cal had a three-minute stretch with five turnovers. Pacific got it down to a nine-point deficit at the 4:49 mark and the two teams traded baskets the rest of the quarter with Cal taking a 65-54 lead going into the final frame. Pacific was helped at the free-throw line going 8-for-9 while Cal did not have a single attempt.

Jayda Curry opened the fourth quarter with a three-point play, but back-to-back buckets by Pacific made it a 10-point game with about eight minutes to go. The Bears used a 12-6 run to regain control of the game capped off by a driving layup by Peanut Tuitele at the 3:45 mark. After an ensuing basket by the Tigers, they would go scoreless the rest of the way to help seal the victory for the Bears.  

The Bears will continue play at Haas Pavilion taking on UC San Diego on Dec. 16 at 7 p.m.

Related:

Cal Defeats Montana 65-44

Cal Handles LMU In 68-49 Win

Cal Defeats Pacific 83-66

2,529 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ashfield63
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cl9xMBkOYzW/
john1953
This game showed what Cal is capable of on offense and defense. Many great sequences and some not so great stretches. Even some great open layups that Cal bigs cashed in early in the game.

Shout out to Peanut who has a lot of weapons and is getting more effective every week. Methinks, she has even more to give. We will need her tools to be sharp when playing bigger teams. I like her in tandem with Evelien.

I hope they can create an even higher volume of shots for Jayda Curry as well as Kemery Martin.. Forget Run TMC, this is Run LMJ. Bring it up fast, move the rock, screen and get those shots up quicker as soon as the shots are there. Jayda can step-back no-hesitation create as well as any perimeter shooter I've seen in over 25 years of games. In my humblest opinion, they don't always get Jayda the ball when she is open, and they settle for a lower percentage shot. Maybe its a pre scripted play thing?

We don't execute so well in half court with east-west dribbling as seconds run down on the shot clock.. Shoot earlier. If double teams pressure to the perimeter and there's an opportunity go down low for an easy layup take advantage rather than force it inside early when the defense is set to attack the lob resulting in low percentage forced layups or turnovers.. If we had a a Reshanda Gray then it's a green light! . Our bigs' skills on this squad are different.

Of course it was Pacific and not Stanfurd, but Cal's small but super-skilled supernatural backcourt can score on any team in the country,. Motion and speed, and fire away! Don't hang your head after a good shot doesn't drain. Grab that long rebound or go to work on the other end.

I applaud Jayda and Leilani's early attacking drives to the bucket. Leilani is a fearless dribble penetrator. Doesn't get enough love for all her skilled work, versatility and hustle at PG. Two way player, tip of the cap.

My optimism for March post season wins is growing. Think of what the opposition is preparing for and attack to ruin their game plans, with confidence, hustle and the best percentage shots before they can adjust. Make the opposition deal with our strengths-- don't repeat weaknesses. By the end, every single player on the roster can make significant contributions on defense, rebounding and offense. As we saw by giving up a huge lead vs. Pacific -- every player and every minute matters.

This is how I see it. Others may not agree and the basketball IQ in this forum is high, I enjoy reading everyone's comments. These are young works-in-progress in a rapidly evolving fiercely competitive sport and a world that needs leaders who can develop their potential in team sports.
HoopDreams
john1953 said:

This game showed what Cal is capable of on offense and defense. Many great sequences and some not so great stretches. Even some great open layups that Cal bigs cashed in early in the game.

Shout out to Peanut who has a lot of weapons and is getting more effective every week. Methinks, she has even more to give. We will need her tools to be sharp when playing bigger teams. I like her in tandem with Evelien.

I hope they can create an even higher volume of shots for Jayda Curry as well as Kemery Martin.. Forget Run TMC, this is Run LMJ. Bring it up fast, move the rock, screen and get those shots up quicker as soon as the shots are there. Jayda can step-back no-hesitation create as well as any perimeter shooter I've seen in over 25 years of games. In my humblest opinion, they don't always get Jayda the ball when she is open, and they settle for a lower percentage shot. Maybe its a pre scripted play thing?

We don't execute so well in half court with east-west dribbling as seconds run down on the shot clock.. Shoot earlier. If double teams pressure to the perimeter and there's an opportunity go down low for an easy layup take advantage rather than force it inside early when the defense is set to attack the lob resulting in low percentage forced layups or turnovers.. If we had a a Reshanda Gray then it's a green light! . Our bigs' skills on this squad are different.

Of course it was Pacific and not Stanfurd, but Cal's small but super-skilled supernatural backcourt can score on any team in the country,. Motion and speed, and fire away! Don't hang your head after a good shot doesn't drain. Grab that long rebound or go to work on the other end.

I applaud Jayda and Leilani's early attacking drives to the bucket. Leilani is a fearless dribble penetrator. Doesn't get enough love for all her skilled work, versatility and hustle at PG. Two way player, tip of the cap.

My optimism for March post season wins is growing. Think of what the opposition is preparing for and attack to ruin their game plans, with confidence, hustle and the best percentage shots before they can adjust. Make the opposition deal with our strengths-- don't repeat weaknesses. By the end, every single player on the roster can make significant contributions on defense, rebounding and offense. As we saw by giving up a huge lead vs. Pacific -- every player and every minute matters.

This is how I see it. Others may not agree and the basketball IQ in this forum is high, I enjoy reading everyone's comments. These are young works-in-progress in a rapidly evolving fiercely competitive sport and a world that needs leaders who can develop their potential in team sports.
Good post John
SFCALBear72
Love your thorough and informative posts, John! Keep writing them!

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the absence of Claudia and Amaya the past few games has caused Coach Smith to adjust her substitution/rotation patterns. Claudia, like Peanut, compliments what Eve is doing on the floor. When all three are playing together, watch out! Their rebounds fuel that fast break attack. Hopefully Amaya can find her shot with consistency when she returns and will add another scorer to the floor.

And let's not forget about Karisma, a savvy veteran.

I'm optimistic about March too.

Go Bears!!
Ashfield63
john1953 said:

Thank youf or being so positive! Yes, the half court sets have too much dribbling(4thquarter), and get the ball sooner to Jayda. She is guarded by good guards, but her quickness, tenacity and skill level is pretty awesome. Leilani just keeps getting better and never stops moving. There were several very exciting plays against Pacific. It is a team effort for sure. Everyone contributes. I am sure Charmin and staff are working on 4th quarter fatigue, and 3rd quarter lapses. Others agree with Charmin, who said in the post game press conference, that missing Claudia and Amaya had an effect with the rotation. Great night for Kemery!
GGV
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.