Utah and Colorado

2,266 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ncbears
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I always figure when teams come to town they point more toward Cal than Stanford than Cal as they know they are going to lose. But I figure it is the opposite when we and Stanford hit the road. Both Utah and Colorado would love to beat Stanford . Utah's best player is hurt and I don't know if she will play.

The question I have is that if Cal were to pull one upset could we make the post season? We would have a losing record. But I seem to remember that teams have made the NIT with a losing record. I may be wrong. And we still have the Pac 12 tourney to play in.

Our ratings are around 78 which according to Annharborbear, just not good enough.

Still there is always hope. I thought for the first time in awhile, that Curry looked quicker in the USC game. All season she has seemed kind of sluggish. I wondered is she had a chronic injury.

I have been a little down on Ortiz as she has not shot well. But she can handle the ball, play good defense, and rebound for her size. she sort of occupies a similar position to Green of the Warriors. It helps to have her paired with Michele.

Utah is probably the best offensive team in the Pac 12. Colorado is a better defensive team than Utah. Different skills will be needed to beat each.

Should be fun.
annarborbear
Actually, since the NCAA tournament takes 68 teams, #78 in the NET rankings could be ok for the NIT since we are from a well-respected league and there are no automatic NIT qualifiers. The win over a ranked team like SC will definitely help, although it did not move us up in the NET rankings, since no one game does that. The NIT also wants some good attendance at its initial on-campus games, and although we are 10th in the league in attendance, 1200 is better than many schools. The best way to get in would be to beat either Utah or Colorado, and/or to make a good showing in the PAC12 tournament. But I think we are on the borderline of getting into the NIT now. after the SC win.
SFCALBear72
From The Athletic:

South Carolina, Indiana, Stanford and Utah were ranked as the No. 1 seeds Thursday by the NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Committee in the second of two top 16 rankings reveals.

I'm hoping the WNIT committee takes a serious look at how incredibly difficult the Pac-12 was this season when making their selections. Four of our conference losses came against #1 seeds (what other non-Pac-12 school can say that?). And one of those was a 4-point loss to Stanford.
Intuit
I think your "California Dreaming"
wvitbear
Hope USC keeps winning so we have a win over a ranked team.
ncbears
Side note: Rocky Mountain Golden Bears will be at Saturday's game and there is a "meet and greet" with Coach Smith scheduled to follow the game. So, if you're in Boulder, come support the Bears!
SFCALBear72
Eve not in the starting lineup. Must still be feeling the effects of the hit to the face on Friday. Hopefully, it's not a concussion.
Schroeder71
Cal needs physical strength in the post position. Vonleh scores initial three baskets (3-3) against Tuitele and four guards. Who will defend Miller from the high post? With Onyiah in the game, the Bears finished the 1st quarter strongly, trailing 21-17.

CAL 4, COL 9 - 06:37 (PRD 1) (statbroadcast.com)

Colorado's defense already showing itself , forcing 9 Cal turnovers. Kemery Martin has three and Peanut Tuitele has two.
ncbears
Bears shoot 60% in first half but turnovers .,.
(Note: sitting next to Curry's dad is fun!)
Schroeder71
Cal's defense is giving Colorado, an average offense, in excess of 20 points in every quarter. Bears are being blown out by Buffs in second half. Onyiah picked up 4 PFs in six minutes, resorting to her old ways. Cal needs her to stay on the floor. Geesh. Vonleh has 25 points (11 for 14 FGs) against Bear's non-existent post defense.
wvitbear
No one took Michele out. she got those fouls on her own. With Eva out, you just can't do that.
Schroeder71
Jayda Curry has 4:51 left to continue her three-point streak. Good luck! Clutch-the soph connects for a trey in the final minute.
ncbears
Curry gets her three with a minute to go
Schroeder71
Colorado score 18 points higher (95) than their previous conference high of 77 against Utah. Cal absolutely has to improve its defense or they'll never advance from the bottom of the league. The Buff's previous scoring high for the season was 85 vs New Mexico State. Bears have yielded 10 more points than any other CU opponent. Pathetic. The four guard plus one post defense is a sieve. Utah & Colorado exploded for 101 & 95 points, respectively.
annarborbear
Giving up 196 points over two games is at least entertaining for the fans of the other teams.
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Colorado score 18 points higher (95) than their previous conference high of 77 against Utah. Cal absolutely has to improve its defense or they'll never advance from the bottom of the league. The Buff's previous scoring high for the season was 85 vs New Mexico State. Bears have yielded 10 more points than any other CU opponent. Pathetic. The four guard plus one post defense is a sieve.
CU lost to Texas Tech 86-85 in OT.

Did you ever think that fatigue may have factored into today's game? It's tough traveling between Salt Lake City and Boulder - plus the altitude. So, perhaps you should step away from your soap box for now. OK?
Schroeder71
regulation game

Three key facts:
#1-both Utah & Colorado scored more than 50 points in the paint and had 40-48 layup attempts (live stats)
#2-both teams shot higher than 55% from the field
#3-both teams had in excess of 23 assists resulting in baskets.

Any offense that can execute those stats will win 90% of the time against Cal.
Sorry if the truth hurts, SFCB72!
BearBint
Quote:

Did you ever think that fatigue may have factored into today's game? It's tough traveling between Salt Lake City and Boulder - plus the altitude. So, perhaps you should step away from your soap box for now. OK?
Oh, SFCalBear72, none of us ever got tired when we were that age, whatever the altitude or the exertion. We were tough back then in the '70s.

Congrats to Jayda on her continued 3-point record. And may Evelien feel better quickly, and ready to help defeat Wazzu on the 1st.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
polarbear
Tiredness is not an excuse. When playing at altitude there should be frequent substitutions with everyone on the bench getting significant minutes.
ncbears
polarbear said:

Tiredness is not an excuse. When playing at altitude there should be frequent substitutions with everyone on the bench getting significant minutes.
There were frequent substitutions. Bonner even played several minutes. We were sitting behind the bench and very early on Coach Smith told the players to take themselves out if they were winded. Ortiz almost was like a coach - telling everyone to hydrate and calling out plays to be run (she wanted players to go at 00 when 00 had three fouls early in the second half)

The Bears stayed close by shotting almost 60% n the first half - but that had to cool off. Curry was draped - and there didn't seem to be any plays to get her open. There were several series early in the second half where curry didn't even touch the ball on offense.

Heide played some good minutes. But, the Bears were quite small - height and width - to Colorado.
gcurry#30
I had a great time watching the game with you. Thanks for hanging out with me.
SFCALBear72
BearBint said:

Quote:

Oh, SFCalBear72, none of us ever got tired when we were that age, whatever the altitude or the exertion. We were tough back then in the '70s.

Congrats to Jayda on her continued 3-point record. And may Evelien feel better quickly, and ready to help defeat Wazzu on the 1st.
Lol. You're right.

I guess I presumed with the short week (Wednesday travel; Thursday game; Saturday game) that there would be fatigue.
BearBint
SFCALBear72 said:

BearBint said:

Quote:

Lol. You're right.

I guess I presumed with the short week (Wednesday travel; Thursday game; Saturday game) that there would be fatigue.
I'd be shocked if there weren't fatigue. While I wish the rebounding were more consistent (and twice as high!), I'm usually impressed by how hard Cal fights.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
BearBint
gcurry#30 said:

I had a great time watching the game with you. Thanks for hanging out with me.
Is that the father of #30? Please tell your girl that we're so glad she chose Cal.
wvitbear
I've probably spent more time in the Rockies than most here. UYtah has been like a second home to me. And I will tell you that fatigue is a problem at those heights. Stanford ran out of gas today too. And as far a depth goes, playing without Eva hurts too.

Even still, we are not a good defensive team.
annarborbear
We are 10-51 in the conference over the past four years with most of our games being held at sea level locations. But it is an interesting new explanation.
wvitbear
It was easier to play teams in the Rockies when they weren't good.
stu
Losing to two Top-25 teams in the Rockies isn't that big a blow.

However we need to find some posts who can defend and rebound.
gljone
If you don't have mobile, rugged posts of some height...you're going to struggle.

Michelle, with all of her improvements, can't go it alone. Maybe if ELS is healthy, the game is closer...but Cal still loses because those two cannot play 40 minutes. Bless her heart, Peanut tries, but can only do so much at 6' 1".

Not surprised by the results of the weekend.

And sad to say (for Cal's sake), I see the conference being strong next year too, or do I have that wrong?

All that said, I still enjoy watching this team because I see their growth, results notwithstanding.

ncbears
I do want to thank Coach Smith for meeting the Cal fans after the game. She was warm and open and generous - even though the game didn't go so well. She was pretty animated during the game - especially the second half - and very vocal with the refs - more so than I recall seeing her (on television).

But, she did come out and was open to any questions and comments. She went to the same high school I had gone to (a few years apart - okay more than a few years apart) and I got to speak to her briefly about that.

Besides Curry's father, Martin's parents and grandparents were at the game, and Peanut had friends as well and even got a nice applause from the CU fans when she was introduced.

Not the desired outcome - but a new season starts on Wednesday!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.