Washington State Game

3,514 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LegoBear
I.E.Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HoopDreams said:

Announcers mentioned several times that Curry had offseason knee surgery and was limited most of season because of it

If that explains her late season explosion then that's a good thing for next season

It was a shoulder injury that she played with last season and had surgery during this past off season.

I'm pretty sure the announcers said labrum surgery.
SFCALBear72
ncbears said:

HoopDreams said:

Announcers mentioned several times that Curry had offseason knee surgery and was limited most of season because of it

If that explains her late season explosion then that's a good thing for next season
Curry did have off-season surgery - she played with the injury all of last year. But, I don't think it was a knee.
She didn't practice with the team until a week or two before season began.

I thought they were referencing her shoulder - a labrum shoulder tear.
annarborbear
I think the problem now is that every PAC-12 program has a solid coach and no school has decided to pack it in in this particular sport. That is different than it was ten years ago. So you do have to succeed in recruiting both size and talent. There is no other option.
HoopDreams
I.E.Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

It was a shoulder injury that she played with last season and had surgery during this past off season.

I'm pretty sure the announcers said labrum surgery.
thanks for correction

blungld
I thought Charmin was great hire, but results say otherwise. This team underachieved and program has not improved enough in 4 years.
polarbear
I think next season we need to be at least .500 in the conference- no excuses- or Charmin needs to go. Of course with our current AD she would just be replaced with a Mark Fox of our very own!
SFCALBear72
polarbear said:

I think next season we need to be at least .500 in the conference- no excuses- or Charmin needs to go. Of course with our current AD she would just be replaced with a Mark Fox of our very own!
Cal WBB needs support (financial contributions; ticket sales, etc.) not ultimatums.

Point of reference: Cal women's volleyball coach goes 0-40 in conference play the past two seasons and his "reward"? He gets to hire two new assistant coaches and "fires" two long-time and experienced coaches. Double standard?
wvitbear
One month ago, Lelani was second in the league in 3 point shooting per cen tage with 47%. She finish3d with 38% or 10th in the league. You don't go from 47% to 38% unless you went into a slump.
annarborbear
If we have reached the point that we are defending a coach who has won less than 20% of her conference games over four years by comparing her favorably to a volleyball coach who has gone 0-40, the ship is not sinking, it has totally sunk. If you want more ticket sales, you have to win.
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

One month ago, Lelani was second in the league in 3 point shooting per cen tage with 47%. She finish3d with 38% or 10th in the league. You don't go from 47% to 38% unless you went into a slump.
I like Leilani. But she has always been a reluctant shooter. I think her declining percentage in the league has been because they do not design plays to get her those shots. Too many are made in desperation as the shot clock is running out.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

If we have reached the point that we are defending a coach who has won less than 20% of her conference games over four years by comparing her favorably to a volleyball coach who has gone 0-40, the ship is not sinking, it has totally sunk. If you want more ticket sales, you have to win.
Cal Athletics also needs to show a commitment to WBB by promoting this team and its players online to drive ticket sales. I've seen ads all over the Internet for Cal MBB. Why that continued investment for a lost cause? No ads for WBB except for their own self-promotion on social media alone (Facebook).
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

Cal Athletics also needs to show a commitment to WBB by promoting this team and its players online to drive ticket sales. I've seen ads all over the Internet for Cal MBB. Why that continued investment for a lost cause? No ads for WBB except for their own self-promotion on social media alone (Facebook).
We have hardcore fans who will show up no matter what. The fans who used to drive the numbers up beyond that are influenced by the buzz from winning and from prominent recruiting success. We once had 10,000 fans at a Stanford game. What exactly is there to advertise? "Show up and see if we can do better than 10th place"? They may be advertising men's basketball, but no one is showing up to watch that mess either.
wvitbear
Promotion is not going to do a thing. You got to win to bring them in. Did the advertising for men make you attend? I used to have season tickets for the men too but they just kept getting worse.
wvitbear
I don't think anything changed for LeLani except she started missing shots. Her improvement at three point shooting has gone on for three staright years. Except the last month.
awesomebuffalo
Lol the advertising comments are so outdated. Dedicated WBB signage, national halftime acts, student giveaways at every game.
SFCALBear72
Glad I could amuse you.
I.E.Bear
SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

WBB at all levels needs more exposure. I do believe that with wins more advertising will happen. Right now the team needs to focus on having a winning record, which will bring post season play.
wvitbear
When Jason Kidd played in high school, people wanted to see him cause he was so good. Every high school sold out games when he was in town. When St. Joe played Bishop O'Dowd, they had to play in the Oakland Arena cause they would have over ten thousand fans there. There was no publicity. It's just everyone knew he was the best. They even sold out Albany High School where I live.

Winning is what you need . No amount of publicity will make people get off their duffs to attend a game if the teams aren't good.
wifeisafurd
query, if a new AD shows-up tomorrow, would Smith be on the hot seat?
LegoBear
wifeisafurd said:

query, if a new AD shows-up tomorrow, would Smith be on the hot seat?

She should be, but who knows. I can't imagine a new AD will want to fire both men's and women's coaches in the same year though.

Probably not enough people care though, so she gets a pass until the men's program can be fixed.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.