Washington State Game

3,532 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LegoBear
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think there are two things riding on the outcome of today's game:

1. We need a win after the Utah and Colorado losses to get back into consideration for the WNIT.
2. We need to show potential portal transfers that we can win against good teams under this staff, even after problems over the past four years.
Schroeder71
If Cal pulls the upset, they are rewarded with #3 Utah. GO BEARS!

Oregon came from behind to defeat Washington, 52-50. Dalayah Daniels achieved a double-double, again. Too bad Charmin Smith was unable to get her to play at this level. Cal could really use her rebounding and shot blocks.
ORE 52, UW 50 - FINAL (statbroadcast.com)
HoopDreams
Looks like Eva is playing!
HoopDreams
Good sign to see Curry go off early
HoopDreams
The one thing consistent over the years has been TOs with passes to the posts
I.E.Bear
Love this for Mia. Auditioning for next year.

Missing too many layups.
ncbears
Cal holds Cougars to 26% in the first half, but only leads by 6 at the half.
Don't think Cougars can shoot that poorly in the second half (much like Colorado last Sunday)

Team ran ok with Curry at point and Macintosh on the bench.
Onyiah with no fouls and ELS is playing. So, we will see how the second half goes.
wvitbear
When Mia hit that shot, I said to myself we were in this game.
wvitbear
Key stt. Michele zero fouls.

The announcers said everyone for Cal had one foul. Not true. Lelani has two.
gobears74
Has Cal scored 29 at the half?
Peanut scored last?
gobears74
Thought it was 27 before she scored
Schroeder71
Cal held CLW for a while but she ended getting six free throws and 12 points at half. WSU has 11 offensive rebounds. Onyiah has zero fouls and needs to be in the game. The other bigs are not rebounding enough.

They have held Jayda Curry to even less shots (2) than the 1st meeting. Curry needs to get going for Cal to win and Kemery Martin also needs to score more than 2 points. Leilani McIntosh was terrible in the first half with zero points (0-3 FGs), 2 fouls, 1 assist and two turnovers.

Mia Mastrov is 4-5 from the field which has provided her team with the lead. The team is playing better defense tonight than they have in quite a while. GO BEARS!
ncbears
Cal up 38-33 and McIntosh hits her head on the hip or knee of a Coug and is down.
ncbears
And, just like that, Cougs are back and game is tied at 40
ncbears
Macintosh is back. But Cougs lead 42-40. Cougs shooting 80% for the quarter.
ncbears
Onyiah swings and misses the ball but hits the Coug in the head just before shot clock expires.
But Cougs end the quarter leading 44-42. Cougs shot 72.7% for the quarter.
HoopDreams
Michelle with 2 bad fouls which cost us 4 points (could have been worse)

Martin and Leilani need to score
gljone
Cal needs to gain composure.

They look out of sorts.

Get it back, Bears!
ncbears
and 4th starts with Onyiah missing a bunny and Curry shot hits every part of the rim but doesn't drop.
Cal is now down 46-42
ncbears
and Onyiah with 10 points and 7 rebounds has a bad offensive foul and has to sit with 3 fouls.
HoopDreams
How many FT missed?
ncbears
and nothing going right for the Bears.
53-45 Cougs ahead.
when Curry is 3-6 from the ilne when she'd been perfect for several games before this .... sigh.
HateRed
That coach has got to go too. She hasn't done crap for CAL.
HoopDreams
I don't think she needs to sit due to risk of fouling out, but she probably needs to cool off. When she gets sped up she makes mistakes. When she slows the game down she's great

ncbears said:

and Onyiah with 10 points and 7 rebounds has a bad offensive foul and has to sit with 3 fouls.
ncbears
HoopDreams said:

How many FT missed?
at 423 left, cal is 8-14 (Cougs are 11-17)
Cal also is 1-9 from three point land
ncbears
HoopDreams said:

I don't think she needs to sit due to risk of fouling out, but she probably needs to cool off. When she gets sped up she makes mistakes. When she slows the game down she's great

ncbears said:

I don't disagree. Meaning I agree. with 423 to go, what have the Bears got to lose? (other than the game, that is)
ncbears
and the season is over. 61-49. There won't be a WNIT bid.
Very disappointing season.
HoopDreams
Cal built a lead with defense in first, but offense wasn't there all game

Curry and Mia in first half, and Michelle throughout the game was our only players who scored

No scoring from 3 starters going 3-21. Team went 1-10 from 3, and only 8-14 FT. Terrible.

I'm worried about claudia's play as she is not long or fast enough to defend, and her offense is limited.

Not the way we wanted to end the season, but we have a lot returning next year
Schroeder71
This was a replay of the Palouse loss. Washington State outscored Cal by 8 and 10 points in the 3rd & 4th quarters, respectively. In other words, the Cougars toyed with the Bears, 40-22, in the second half.

I am angry at how badly this team played today. I will post at another time to be analytical. This is tremendously disappointing, and Charmin Smith has never guided Cal to more than 4 wins in conference games in any of the four seasons that she has been the HC. Where is her leadership & demonstrated progress of the program?

The only players that should be proud of their effort and performance are Jayda Curry, Mia Mastrov & Michelle Onyiah. The rest of the team never showed up to play ball tonight.
wvitbear
Lelani went into a shooting slump the last 6 or 7 games of the season. It really hurt plus we haven't shot free throws well all season after being pretty good the last two.
SFCALBear72
Disappointing that Kemery and Eve contributed very little. Kemery needs to be more aggressive next season.

Mia needs more playing time. Impressive "audition" tonight.

Karisma needs to continue to work on her shooting in the offseason. She could be a significant contributor.

Wondering how much Lulu can contribute.

Alma Elsnitz is a 5'11 guard. Will she be a factor next season with her long layoff and most recent surgery and rehab?

Two bigs and a wing scorer would be great portal additions.
HoopDreams
Announcers mentioned several times that Curry had offseason knee surgery and was limited most of season because of it

If that explains her late season explosion then that's a good thing for next season
gwashburn14
I think Charmin is going to have to re-recruit Curry and give her hope that the next two years are going to be different than the last two. And recruiting is an issue here. The Bears didn't have one player make the All-Conference Team (not honorable mention), all-freshman team or all-defensive team. Charmin just didn't have the bodies two years ago and that was a legit excuse but now she's got players but some of them are just not at first-division Pac-12 level. They are getting out-talented every night and Charmin definitely has issues with fourth quarters. They scored 7 points in the fourth quarter tonight. A game they had a chance to win turns into a double-digit loss.

I do think the program took a step forward this season but a small one. Cal was competitive in mostly every game, that's great and all, but when does that level of expectations go higher? Why is Utah suddenly a power but Cal is still years away? Is it coaching? Lack of development of players? Or are the players just not reaching their potential?
ncbears
HoopDreams said:

Announcers mentioned several times that Curry had offseason knee surgery and was limited most of season because of it

If that explains her late season explosion then that's a good thing for next season
Curry did have off-season surgery - she played with the injury all of last year. But, I don't think it was a knee.
She didn't practice with the team until a week or two before season began.
Shocky1
wvitbear said:

Lelani went into a shooting slump the last 6 or 7 games of the season. It really hurt plus we haven't shot free throws well all season after being pretty good the last two.
leilani did not go into a "shooting slump" late in the season, she is a tiny big hearted guard that the head coach recklessly played too many minutes again this season & she predictably wore down & couldn't make an outside shot in the last 6 or 7 games

that's just really bad coaching
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.