SF Chronicle article on Charmin Smith & Cal women's bball (link)

3,787 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ashfield63
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncbears said:

john1953 said:

Also, Ionescu chose Oregon after she chose Cal.

I don't recall Ionescu ever choosing Cal and then changing her mind.
I saw her at a Cal game where she sat away from the Cal players nearby and didn't even talk to them. Then instead of thanking Lindsay for attending many of her games over the years and for the generous offer she had received, she simply said, " I am dismissing Cal from my list".
TomBear
Frankly, I don't really care about anything other than what I see of the team on the court. And what I see is a team that likes each other, plays for each other, NEVER gives in, and plays hard all the time despite being a bit short handed.

Charmin has played with the best. And she has coached against the best. The players play for her. And so far as I know, no one is leaving among those I was most worried about.

Women's sports are different than men's sports. And coaching women is different. What they respond to, what they care about, and how they care about it requires a different skill set in a coach. And I, in great measure, I think Charmin has it right. I also think her approach to how to "build" is right on the money.

I think with the addition of the right people (not just the right athletes), we'll see significant improvement next year, and a really excellent team in two years.

Ashfield63
TomBear said:

Frankly, I don't really care about anything other than what I see of the team on the court. And what I see is a team that likes each other, plays for each other, NEVER gives in, and plays hard all the time despite being a bit short handed.

Charmin has played with the best. And she has coached against the best. The players play for her. And so far as I know, no one is leaving among those I was most worried about.

Women's sports are different than men's sports. And coaching women is different. What they respond to, what they care about, and how they care about it requires a different skill set in a coach. And I, in great measure, I think Charmin has it right. I also think her approach to how to "build" is right on the money.

I think with the addition of the right people (not just the right athletes), we'll see significant improvement next year, and a really excellent team in two years.

Great Post......Very Affirming......Thank-you
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.