Potential Jayda replacement

4,273 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFCALBear72
LegoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Somewhat of a gamble on how their game translates to a tougher league?
stu
LegoBear said:

Somewhat of a gamble on how their game translates to a tougher league?
Our men have tried to make a living with grad transfer point and combo guards from lesser leagues but in the Pac-12 most turned out to be volume scorers with low percentages. Grant Mullins was the exception.

Even in the MAAC Davis has a .367 career shooting percentage, .301 on threes, and more turnovers than assists. No thanks.

OTOH maybe Davis is really good on defense, hard to tell from stats. We could use some help there.
SFCALBear72
Plenty of other point guards in the portal. More to come. Portal just opened.
We're the only West Coast school she's considering.

We need to keep looking. Charmin needs to bring in multiple impact players.
Schroeder71
Can someone please clarify the exact time period that the transfer portal is open? Also, are there different time periods for the transfer portal for different sports? I believe that football opens up after Spring practice so it is not open now. GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Can someone please clarify the exact time period that the transfer portal is open? Also, are there different time periods for the transfer portal for different sports? I believe that football opens up after Spring practice so it is not open now. GO BEARS!
For the 3rd time:

The 60-day WBB transfer portal window is from March 14- May 12.

May 12 is not a signing deadline. It's the final day to enter the portal and qualify for the one-time transfer exception.

Schroeder71
Sorry about my repetitive inquiries regarding this topic. Even though I have been involved with sports my entire lifetime (age 10+), these transfer rules are relatively new and have changed the nature of college sports. I appreciate your patience w/me. I wrote it down this time. GO BEARS!
I.E.Bear
Kayla Padilla is also in the portal. Not necessarily as a replacement for Jayda, but she is interested in studying at a top business school and could add extra scoring. Ivies do not allow a 5th year, so she has entered the portal with her COVID year of eligibility left.

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/kayla-padilla-leads-example-penn-basketball

I don't know if we can, or should, replace Jayda's offense with one person. We can do it by committee though.
mbBear
I.E.Bear said:

Kayla Padilla is also in the portal. Not necessarily as a replacement for Jayda, but she is interested in studying at a top business school and could add extra scoring. Ivies do not allow a 5th year, so she has entered the portal with her COVID year of eligibility left.

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/kayla-padilla-leads-example-penn-basketball

I don't know if we can, or should, replace Jayda's offense with one person. We can do it by committee though.
Yeah, I mentioned her awhile ago....graduating from Wharton, and from California (Torrance)...she certainly would be a good member of that "committee"....
stu
Kayla Padilla 2022-23 stats (on a 17-12, 9-5 team):
per game: 36 minutes, 17.7 points, 4.7 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 0.8 steals, 1.7 fouls, 2.3 turnovers
.413 FG%, .386 3G%, .855 FT%
height: 5'9"

What's not to like?
I.E.Bear
Maybe some in conference transfers with the usual mass exodus going on at Arizona. I only know of one player Adia has coming in. I have to look up the rest.

If Ware is healthy that could be an interesting pick up. I do remember her being a bit foul prone, but not on the same level as Michelle.

HoopDreams
does AZ bing and purge?

its a revolving door there

who are making these decisions?

the coach or the players?

i think the coach is hard to play for so players bolt

I.E.Bear said:

Maybe some in conference transfers with the usual mass exodus going on at Arizona. I only know of one player Adia has coming in. I have to look up the rest.

If Ware is healthy that could be an interesting pick up. I do remember her being a bit foul prone, but not on the same level as Michelle.

annarborbear
It is definitely like a pro tryout camp. In her early days, Barnes was identifying people who were not going to play and helping them find other schools. Some of that is likely still going on. Academic degrees do not seem part of the equation. But it is coming back on her, losing Vonleh to Colorado last year and now Ware. It is the one school that I really root against. I think Barnes belongs in the WNBA, and will leave if she ever gets an offer.

But in the meantime, she does have three more ESPN Top 100 recruits coming in next year (Numbers 8, 14 and 21 in those rankings).

Lauren Ware is from Bismarck, ND. I am guessing a transfer to Utah, Colorado, or South Dakota State.
I.E.Bear
I think she made a mistake picking up Loville, who didn't do much for them but played heavy minutes. Then she had highly recruited younger players sitting on the bench and not being developed. I can see why some of them would leave.

annarborbear said:

It is definitely like a pro tryout camp. In her early days, Barnes was identifying people who were not going to play and helping them find other schools. Some of that is likely still going on. Academic degrees do not seem part of the equation. But it is coming back on her, losing Vonleh to Colorado last year and now Ware. It is the one school that I really root against. I think Barnes belongs in the WNBA, and will leave if she ever gets an offer.

But in the meantime, she does have three more ESPN Top 100 recruits coming in next year (Numbers 8, 14 and 21 in those rankings).

Lauren Ware is from Bismarck, ND. I am guessing a transfer to Utah, Colorado, or South Dakota State.

I thought those were just rumors about her pushing players out? When was that confirmed? Either way there is no way she wanted to lose Paris Clark, or Vonleh last season, as you mentioned.

She has Jada Williams, who decommitted from UCLA, coming in next season. If Jada were to leave that would put a lot of focus on whatever is going on there. As Jada has a very large following.
annarborbear

I remember that from an actual interview with Barnes in her first year. She's said the goal was championships and she was talking to people who would not meet the new standard. She made it sound like she was a great person in helping them to find new schools.
bearwbbfan
Good player from USF:
annarborbear
bearwbbfan said:

Good player from USF:

Against PAC12 competition this year, she shot 4-17 against WSU, 2-10 against USC, and 1-9 against Washington.
SFCALBear72
I.E.Bear said:

Add Lauren Fields name to this growing Arizona WBB list:

Raoul
Lauren Fields (5-9 SR guard, Shawnee, OK) has entered her name into the portal, out of Arizona WBB, one year after transferring in from Oklahoma State
bearwbbfan
annarborbear said:

bearwbbfan said:

Good player from USF:

Against PAC12 competition this year, she shot 4-17 against WSU, 2-10 against USC, and 1-9 against Washington.

Definitely not great numbers this season against Pac-12. She was better against Pac-12 competition in prior seasons: 15 points (6-12) against Cal, 17 points (6-16) against WSU, 29 points (9-21) against SC, 27 points (7-10) against OSU.

Career 40% three point shooter, so probably could at least be a catch-and-shoot player off the bench. Obviously played with Langarita as well.

Fields had a really rough year at Arizona.
Schroeder71
The USF bomber would be a great addition for Cal if they could land her. The Bears need to convince some star players that the opportunity to play (start) would be worth it. Charmin Smith has to land a couple impact transfers if she expects to keep her job. This is the weakest team on paper in the conference heading into next season.
philbert
bearwbbfan said:

Good player from USF:

stu
I don't see any grad transfers on the Stanford WBB rosters over the last few years. Understandable considering the quality of the freshies they get.
HoopDreams
philbert said:

bearwbbfan said:

Good player from USF:

Claudia is from USF. Maybe she can put in a good word for Cal
SFCALBear72
This young woman is from Greece. So, maybe Ornela is also acquainted with her.
I.E.Bear
Another potential addition. It's hard to post and keep track of everyone because so many players are in the portal.

Teya Sidberry a transfer out of Utah. She didn't play much behind Pili, Rees and Johnson, but she had great high school numbers and is worth a look.

https://utahutes.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/teya-sidberry/13315
ncbears
Any rumors about Smith getting anyone from the portal?
wbbilluminati
The pair from UCSB, 5'11" W Alexis Tucker and the post Ila Lane 6'4" would be very good for Cal.
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

The pair from UCSB, 5'11" W Alexis Tucker and the post Ila Lane 6'4" would be very good for Cal.
Wondering if Eliza Pierre has reached out to lla Lane. She would be most familiar with her given Eliza's time at UCSB. It appears Alexis Tucker transferred in after Eliza left.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.