Stanford

2,886 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by wvitbear
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We didn't play well against them last time. We tried to double up down below and their wings scorched us. When you decide to double up, you say to a 4.6 average scorer "Beat us." and that is what they did as Leopolo scored a team high 20 points and a career high. Can she do it again.

I don't think Michele matches up well with them offensively as she doesn't have much range and Brink will block her shots. We really shot the three poorly last time (and part of that is due to the Stanford defense). I think we need a great game from Marta.

I don't expect to win. But would like us to play well. Would be nice if Kemery could get some of her magic back from last year.
SFCALBear72
Also, Yo Krimili didn't start, only played 19 minutes and scored 12 points. I think she was just getting back from her injury. The following week, she played 35 minutes against UW and scored 21.
Finnish Oski
It's possible for us to beat them but a couple of players are going to have to be successfully bombing away from beyond the arc. I'm pretty sure that all of our upsets over them have come when we've been hitting threes.
RedlessWardrobe
To have any kind of a chance, we need close to every player to perform to their maximum ability. And more specfically, Michelle has to be effective and minimize fouls, and high level backup minutes from Ila and/or Claudia are mandatory. In the event that it's neccessary for Marta to play any minutes at center, the same goes for her.

Don't like our chances, but there's a reason they play the games. Go Bears!
Finnish Oski
Just noted that seven of our ten losses have come against top 25 teams and an 8th against a 17-6 Texas A & M squad when we were short-handed. Goodness those two losses in the desert really stick out. They could be what costs us a tourney bid. Gotta make up for it with an upset somewhere. Why not tomorrow?
GameDay
My guide on Fubo shows the game at 7:00 (good) but then switching to "PAC 12 Football in 60" at 7:30 (bad). Then it shows the entire WBB game at 10:30 tape delay.
Anyone have clarity? Is it only streaming and not on an actual PAC-12 channel?
SFCALBear72
It's on Pac-12 Bay Area.
I.E.Bear
Unfortunate 2nd foul on Michelle there.
HoopDreams
I.E.Bear said:

she tried to avoid the foul, and I'm not sure it was ... player just exaggerated the contact
HoopDreams
seems like they are limiting brink's PT, but still down 6 after Q1

cal needs to clean it up ... too many turnovers, and I feel some of our players need to take those shots near the basket when Brink isn't in
I.E.Bear
HoopDreams said:

I.E.Bear said:

she tried to avoid the foul, and I'm not sure it was ... player just exaggerated the contact

Agreed.

Brink now has 2 fouls as well, but Stanford is pulling away. Cal will need to finish well and come out of halftime focused and looking to score.
HoopDreams
how many offensive rebounds has stanford got??!!??!
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

seems like they are limiting brink's PT, but still down 6 after Q1

cal needs to clean it up ... too many turnovers, and I feel some of our players need to take those shots near the basket when Brink isn't in
Yep. Leilani and Kemery to name two.
HoopDreams
hall a fame coach tara gets the refs to review play where he player gets called for the foul

wouldn't happen if same thing happened to us, but hard to be mad at such a classy coach
HoopDreams
hope michelle is okay
stu
There's a problem when our leading rebounder is Leilani.
HoopDreams
michelle has taken a big leap offensively this year .. she was our best scorer

nice to see Martin hit 3-4 threes
SFCALBear72
I was proud of Michelle's game last night and how she maintained her focus and discipline after picking up those two quick fouls in the first quarter. We need more games like that from her going forward. Thankfully, no Brinks or Iriafens are in her immediate future.
wvitbear
No but their are a lot of good centers in this league. OSU, Colorado, Utah, and UCLA for sure. And USC from a defensive point of view.
SFCALBear72
wvitbear said:

No but their are a lot of good centers in this league. OSU, Colorado, Utah, and UCLA for sure. And USC from a defensive point of view.
When I said immediate future, I was referring to the next 4 games.
Only Raegan Beers of OSU is upcoming.
polarbear
No question we got out-classed by a national championship contender. But why not give the bench (Alma, Ornela, etc.) some valuable playing time minutes late in the game when it was certain who was going to win? That would be good for their development along with preventing injury to one of our starters.
SFCALBear72
Alma has been out for the last 4 weeks or so with an undisclosed injury. I agree about Ornela who will soon be graduating.
stu
SFCALBear72 said:

wvitbear said:

When I said immediate future, I was referring to the next 4 games.
Only Raegan Beers of OSU is upcoming.
Reagan Beers left the court early last night after catching an elbow in the face and did not return. I don't know how serious the injury is but a noticeable amount of blood was spilled. Possibly a broken nose.

UCLA - OSU was otherwise quite a game with each team scoring 2 baskets in the last 7 seconds.
SFCALBear72
Wow!! Thanks for the update. Let's see if she plays tomorrow against USC. Maybe with a mask.
HoopDreams
I was wondering about Ornela too. As far as I could tell she was healthy and should have received at least several minutes at PG

She is also a good shooter

SFCALBear72 said:

Alma has been out for the last 4 weeks or so with an undisclosed injury. I agree about Ornela who will soon be graduating.

wvitbear
Oregon has a 6'7" center who is pretty good. Left handed and we had trouble with her here,
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.