Top ten currently in the portal

5,919 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by CalWSportsFan
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OB73-I explained my rationale quite clearly so your statement is garbage. Why don't you put my posts on inactive status so that you don't have to read 'em. You're the most negative poster that I have to deal with here.
CalFanatic
wbbilluminati said:

seems people already new Krimili was returning (her 6th year!) but had not seen her instagram announcement posted so:

https://instagr.am/p/C5Wmz2aSVN0

This is such great news.

I am hoping Michelle has a similar post coming soon. Cal will be sitting pretty with this stellar Freshman class and Marta, Krimili, and Michelle returning.
stu
Stanford's Kiki Iriafen entered the portal with a no-contact tag and will graduate this spring.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/12/stanford-cardinal-star-iriafen-enters-transfer-portal-days-after-vanderveers-retirement-announcement/
HoopDreams
stu said:

Stanford's Kiki Iriafen entered the portal with a no-contact tag and will graduate this spring.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/12/stanford-cardinal-star-iriafen-enters-transfer-portal-days-after-vanderveers-retirement-announcement/
although Brink got all the headlines and was deserving of National Defensive Player of the Year, and I actually thought Kiki was the better player.

huge loss for Stanford

given she's from southern cal, I wonder if she will transfer to ucla or usc who could probably pull together a big NIL bag to sign her
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

stu said:

although Brink got all the headlines and was deserving of National Defensive Player of the Year, and I actually thought Kiki was the better player.

huge loss for Stanford

given she's from southern cal, I wonder if she will transfer to ucla or usc who could probably pull together a big NIL bag to sign her
Apparently when she committed to Stanford, her other finalists were Baylor, UCLA, UConn and Notre Dame according to Raoul's WBB Blog.
annarborbear
Used to be that a Stanford degree was enough to keep academically-oriented student~athletes wanting to stick around. Shows the effects that the growing NIL money is having. All top players have to consider it.
CalWSportsFan
According to a piece in today's Chronicle

Quote:

Iriafen is in the portal with a "do not contact" marker, which typically indicates the player already knows where they are transferring to. One college basketball source told the Chronicle she was receiving offers upward of $700,000 in NIL money throughout the Stanford season from other collectives.

I didn't realize it was ok for players to be courted by other teams DURING the season???

I'm really worried for the future of wcbb.....I guess success comes in many forms, but I will lose interest if every season is a game of musical chairs with the game rigged for the highest bidder....

source: https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/stanford-s-kiki-iriafen-enters-transfer-portal-19400628.php
stu
I'm guessing a collective isn't a team so there aren't many rules. Or ethical standards.
wbbilluminati
annarborbear said:

Used to be that a Stanford degree was enough to keep academically-oriented student~athletes wanting to stick around. Shows the effects that the growing NIL money is having. All top players have to consider it.
With summer bridge and summer school, many student athletes (including Kiki) actually get their degrees early. IIRC, Kiki will leave with a bachelor's from Stanford.
Schroeder71
This Associated Press article names the 8 Oregon State Beavers that have entered the transfer portal. It was their starting five in the NCAA Tournament.
Paurova becomes eighth Oregon State player to enter the portal (yahoo.com)
annarborbear
Schroeder71 said:

This Associated Press article names the 8 Oregon State Beavers that have entered the transfer portal. It was their starting five in the NCAA Tournament.
Ironic that some of these players, not being all that great, may get their best offer only from another WCC team. Or will ride the bench some place else.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

Maybe this gives center Sela a chance for more play time
CalWSportsFan
Gonzaga seems to do well for itself playing in the WCC. OSU could have been dominant and retained a national profile too....I'm sure their non-conference schedule would feature games with plenty of other strong schools...looks like Washington neighbors WSU and Gonzaga will be at the head of the WCC pack....

The grass is always greener.....

Schroeder71
annarborbear: Dominika Paurova led the comeback in the fourth quarter in Berkeley that gave the victory to Oregon State. She is a freshman guard who hit 6-6 field goals down the stretch to key the rally. Nobody on Cal had an answer for her and she finished with 16 points. Heck-I would not mind if she considered Cal. She could develop into a star.

Women's Basketball vs Oregon State on 1/19/2024 - Box Score - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
OBear073akaSMFan
Schroeder71 said:

OB73-I explained my rationale quite clearly so your statement is garbage. Why don't you put my posts on inactive status so that you don't have to read 'em. You're the most negative poster that I have to deal with here.

I don't even reply to you and only agreed to the posters comments about you. I don't read 99% of your comments but only when others reply to you.

Ashfield63
CalWSportsFan said:

Re grad school options, I really think it depends on the discipline a student athlete may be looking for. Stanford has some strong programs as does Cal. " In all, some 30 Berkeley graduate programs ranked in the Top 10 in the country "

https://news.berkeley.edu/2024/04/08/best-graduate-schools-2024-rankings-us-news#:~:text=Schools%20and%20disciplines%20at%20Berkeley,Systems%20(No.%201)

Tara couldn't get the Ivy League transfers in Stanford so they went to USC.....this is what I have read or heard in the last few days.....There was no explanation given....
GGV
CalWSportsFan
I don't know if she couldn't, or didn't want grad transfers given only a year of eligibility. It worked for Stanford…until it didn't.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.