Caitlin Clark

24,974 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by bear2034
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well I think the time off for Olympic break was good for her given tonight's performance: 29 points, 10 assists and 5 defensive boards…
bear2034
CalWSportsFan said:

Well I think the time off for Olympic break was good for her given tonight's performance: 29 points, 10 assists and 5 defensive boards…

CC made other players look like bad defenders.
HoopDreams
bear2034 said:

CalWSportsFan said:

CC made other players look like bad defenders.
elite vision
philbert
Good read and interesting quote at the end from dawn Staley

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-caitlin-clark-phenomenon-isnt-slowing-down--its-growing-164532713.html

TV viewership for Indiana Fever games is getting bigger and bigger.
HoopDreams
So who is everyone's vote for Rookie of the year?
Ashfield63
HoopDreams said:

Caitlin Clark.....I haven't missed a game, love her passes, scoring and everything else she does on the court!! She is only 22 years old. Caitlin and Lexie Hull(Stanford) are quite the duo, on the court and are good friends too. Hoping the Indiana Fever makes the WNBA playoffs, more games to watch!!!
GGV
bear2034
HoopDreams said:

Clark breaks single season assists record for rookies.
oski003
HoopDreams said:

You'd have to be on drugs or racist (or at the very least heavily influenced by a racist media) to not vote Caitlin Clark rookie of the year.
SFCALBear72
oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

You'd have to be on drugs or racist to not vote Caitlin Clark rookie of the year.
Shameful that you felt the need to go there to state your case for Clark. Her accomplishments this season would have been sufficient.
ClayK
After watching her against Minnesota last night, I can't help myself: What a horrid defender she is.

She made Natisha Heideman look like the fastest player in the league -- and I'm guessing most here have never heard of Natisha Heideman (and for good reason).

Clark can't defend on the ball, doesn't know where the ball is when her man doesn't have it and occasionally fouls out of frustration.

Clark is a brilliant offensive player, and will become an all-timer when she cuts down on turnovers (seven last night), but you have to have some semblance of ability at the other end of the court.

oski003
ClayK said:

After watching her against Minnesota last night, I can't help myself: What a horrid defender she is.

She made Natisha Heideman look like the fastest player in the league -- and I'm guessing most here have never heard of Natisha Heideman (and for good reason).

Clark can't defend on the ball, doesn't know where the ball is when her man doesn't have it and occasionally fouls out of frustration.

Clark is a brilliant offensive player, and will become an all-timer when she cuts down on turnovers (seven last night), but you have to have some semblance of ability at the other end of the court.

We still didn't know who Natisha Hiedeman is. I just looked it up, and she got 12 points against the Aces and then 10 against the Fever with a 0 +/-. Are you alluding to that 0 +/- with 10 points with ZERO assists against the Fever as some great game?

Please note her team, led by Olympian Collier's 31 points, is 22-8 and has won 6 in a row.
BearBint
SFCALBear72 said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

You'd have to be on drugs or racist to not vote Caitlin Clark rookie of the year.
Shameful that you felt the need to go there to state your case for Clark. Her accomplishments this season would have been sufficient.
Thanks, SFCALBear72. No wonder I block this particular member. (Or maybe it's all the drugs I don't take.)

MoragaBear, is there anything to be done about offensive them-versus-us comments? Anyway, I thought this was supposed be a message board about Cal WBB; perhaps we need a separate WNBA board.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
oski003
BearBint said:

SFCALBear72 said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

Thanks, SFCALBear72. No wonder I block this particular member. (Or maybe it's all the drugs I don't take.)

MoragaBear, is there anything to be done about offensive them-versus-us comments? Anyway, I thought this was supposed be a message board about Cal WBB; perhaps we need a separate WNBA board.

The racism against both Angel Reece and Caitlin Clark is shameful. Stating this reality is not offensive.
SFCALBear72
BearBint said:

SFCALBear72 said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

You're welcome. I kept my response simple and to the point despite all the anger I'm feeling.
SFCALBear72
oski003 said:

BearBint said:

SFCALBear72 said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

The racism against both Angel Reece and Caitlin Clark is shameful. Stating this reality is not offensive.
Don't try to backtrack. You never mentioned Angel Reese (correct spelling) in your original post. Only Caitlin Clark. And it is offensive to all and you should be censured for it.
oski003
SFCALBear72 said:

oski003 said:

BearBint said:

SFCALBear72 said:

oski003 said:

HoopDreams said:

Don't try to backtrack. You never mentioned Angel Reese (correct spelling) in your original post. Only Caitlin Clark. And it is offensive to all and you should be censured for it.

Why should I be censured, and why do you feel so much anger. I did edit my comment to add that perhaps racism by others has influenced people who don't think CC should be ROY.
brevity
Anyway...

To draw a recent comparison to the NBA, Angel Reese is like Chet Holmgren and Caitlin Clark is like Victor Wembanyama. Think about that for a moment.

In the voting for Rookie of the Year, 99 voters rank their top 3, and Holmgren was almost the unanimous choice (98 ballots) for 2nd place. Wembanyama was the unanimous winner.

The results suggest that Holmgren might have won the award in a different year, if Wembanyama wasn't his competition. This is where Angel Reese stands. She's probably a solid rookie winner in some other year, but for this year, she appears to have second place locked up. (Which is impressive; she zoomed past 5 of the 6 players selected ahead of her in the draft, and hasn't looked back.)

Also consider that Clark is riding the narrative that the Indiana Fever are better with her, moving into the playoffs. Reese and the Chicago Sky are only 2 games behind, but exactly where they were last year.
movielover
A friend just told me she endorsed Trump.
stu
movielover said:

Hope she isn't dating RFK Jr.
CalWSportsFan
A friend? LOL…Maybe confusing her with Jeffrey Clark.
Ashfield63
stu said:

movielover said:

Hope she isn't dating RFK Jr.

I read Caitlin Clark's boyfriend is supporting Harris/Walz. Who knows if this is true.
I seriously doubt she would talk about her political preference.

I always enjoy your Humor Stu!!!
GGV
oski003
ClayK said:

The Fever just beat the 22-7 Connecticut Sun and now have 15 wins, two more than they had all last season when they finished in last place without CC.
HoopDreams
ESPN now unanimously projects CC makes WNBA 2nd team (top 10 player in the league)

oski003 said:

ClayK said:

The Fever just beat the 22-7 Connecticut Sun and now have 15 wins, two more than they had all last season when they finished in last place without CC.
ClayK
Caitlin Clark, all in all, is a great player, and will only get better. She makes the Fever much better.

She's still; a horrid defender.

Both things can be true.
movielover
There is a claim she's shooting 3s - on average - a smidgen deeper than S Curry.
bear2034

CC with a career high 31 points tonight! Angel Reese can't guard Caitlin.
oski003
Angel Reese is a good player but the stat padding to get double doubles is unbelievable. I predicted it tonight when there were 5 minutes left.

Tonight's game against the Fever was just ANOTHER example. Reese only had 5 pts with just a few minutes left. Fever were up about 27 points and pulled their starters. Reese played the rest of the game and scraped together 5 more points in garbage time against the end of the Fever's bench players.

There's no reason to have your starters in there and risk injury. Just goes to show where the Sky's priorities are.

On the other hand, the Fever now have a .500 record for the first time since May 2022.
philbert

BearBint
philbert said:

Gosh, that disappoints me--I mean LeBron's use of the ugly term "haters." You can disagree with a popular opinion without hating it.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
LudwigsFountain
oski003 said:

Angel Reese is a good player but the stat padding to get double doubles is unbelievable. I predicted it tonight when there were 5 minutes left.

Tonight's game against the Fever was just ANOTHER example. Reese only had 5 pts with just a few minutes left. Fever were up about 27 points and pulled their starters. Reese played the rest of the game and scraped together 5 more points in garbage time against the end of the Fever's bench players.

There's no reason to have your starters in there and risk injury. Just goes to show where the Sky's priorities are.

On the other hand, the Fever now have a .500 record for the first time since May 2022.
I hadn't seen Reese in action prior to this game. Perhaps she was having one of her worst games and Clark one of her best, but how are these two in a tight race for rookie of the year? Clark was not only outstanding in her own right; she made the rest of the team better. I had a watched a Fever game early in the season and the contrast couldn't be more stark. I attribute that to Clark. As noted, Reese got her double-double, but it was irrelevant. I was surprised at how poorly she finished around the rim. I've read she has ardent supporters for ROY but I don't see it.

As an aside, my wife, who is a little hard of hearing, said, "Why on earth would they name a women's team The Beaver?"
HoopDreams
LudwigsFountain said:

oski003 said:

I hadn't seen Reese in action prior to this game. Perhaps she was having one of her worst games and Clark one of her best, but how are these two in a tight race for rookie of the year? Clark was not only outstanding in her own right; she made the rest of the team better. I had a watched a Fever game early in the season and the contrast couldn't be more stark. I attribute that to Clark. As noted, Reese got her double-double, but it was irrelevant. I was surprised at how poorly she finished around the rim. I've read she has ardent supporters for ROY but I don't see it.

As an aside, my wife, who is a little hard of hearing, said, "Why on earth would they name a women's team The Beaver?"

i guess basketball is in the eye of the beholder

to my eye there is zero debate as to who deserves ROY

I heard a comment from someone like... "no one ever said Rodman was a better player than Michael Jordan"
CalWSportsFan
I think Clark with definitely get ROY. Her team has grown along side her and really improved as the season has progressed. She's been particularly on fire post-Olympic break...goes to show what resting weary legs can do eh? "Clark's averages for the season to this point: 18.4 points, 5.7 rebounds, 8.3 assists per game.
That's never been done over a full WNBA season. By anyone, rookie or otherwise." -Fox Sports

Reese is an amazing rebounder for sure and has been impressive, but she'll need to work on shooting bunnies. She'll break the WNBA per game rebounding record which is pretty impressive. It will be fun to watch these two going forward....

And in other WNBA news, apparently Portland will be getting a franchise in 2026. Let's go Left Coast! :-)
HoopDreams
Considering the Fever started 1-6 or 1-7 with the first 10 games packed together, it remarkable they are now over 500

Reece is a crazy rebounder and plays with such fire and aggressiveness. She is a great player who will improve offensively as she develops her post moves and outside shot

But she is on a much better team based on past results and despite her crazy rebounding performances have lost way too many games

So stats matter, team results matter and the eye ball test matters
bear2034
To be fair, Angel Reese is having an impressive season as well. She didn't just break the single season rebounding record for rookies, she broke the all-time single season WNBA rebounding record with a bunch of games to go.
oski003
28 points, 12 assists, 4 boards, 5-11 from 3 pt line in a 100-93 point victory on the road. Nice job CC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.