Question for Clay

804 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by SBGold
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the past you have stated that there is less interest in Bball than there used to be. that high school girls are flocking to Vball. Will this latest NCAA championship change that?
SBGold
wvitbear said:

In the past you have stated that there is less interest in Bball than there used to be. that high school girls are flocking to Vball. Will this latest NCAA championship change that?
My daughters play competitive volleyball, so I doubt it. Volleyball has exploded in the past 7-10 years. It's not as physical and plays well with the Tik Tok vibe. A coach told me that girls can be more stylish in volleyball and the game is not a physical one. That's why he thinks that the trend has shifted to volleyball.
Finnish Oski
My daughter played club and high school volleyball 18 years ago and it was expanding then so this is not a new trend although maybe it's getting even bigger.
ClayK
So here's the long answer ...

The decision for elite athletes about which sport to take seriously comes in middle school. At that point, choices must be made about what direction to go. It's very difficult to play two summer sports, and so whatever a girl does during the summers after sixth and seventh grade is very likely what she will for the rest of her career. (And we are only talking about elite athletes here, the ones who will P4 starters and difference-makers.)

In middle school, thoughts of a career in athletics are far from a girl's mind. As anyone who has been around girls at that age knows all too well, it's all about friends. Friendships, peer groups, etc., are by far the most important factors in decisions for the vast majority of girls.

Now basketball and volleyball players are both cut from the same mold: Tall, long, explosive. (On the boys' side, this is not an issue because volleyball is not taken seriously.) So the two sports compete for the same pool of athletes.

But what's really determining what the elite athlete does is not the sport she likes best, or the coach she likes best, or what she's better at. What determines her choice, in most cases, is her friends -- and they are very likely not elite athletes, and maybe not even high school level.

So consider a middle school girl of middling athletic ability -- what sport is more attractive to her? There's basketball, with running in practice, contact, fans that scream at refs and other parents and ugly uniforms. Or there's volleyball, with no running, no contact, polite crowds (because no one really understands the game) and spandex shorts.

What sport does that girl choose? And what sport will she encourage her elite athlete friend to play?

SBGold
Finnish Oski said:

My daughter played club and high school volleyball 18 years ago and it was expanding then so this is not a new trend although maybe it's getting even bigger.
I'm been involved with it for the past 8 years plus and it is much bigger than 5-8 years ago now
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.