Kemery Martin has entered the portal

2,346 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by TomBear
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As announced this morning on Raoul's WBB Blog. Best of luck to her!!
HoopDreams
That's too bad. I was hoping she was staying

CalWSportsFan
Good luck to her. Grad school awaits and I wish her well. She was a fun player to watch and root for.
mbBear
CalWSportsFan said:

Good luck to her. Grad school awaits and I wish her well. She was a fun player to watch and root for.
Speculating out of my rear (okay, not the first person to do that here...ha) but I wonder if they got a silent commit from a transfer that made her feel like she was recruited over?
OR... as some reported from the banquet, she was still thinking about it, so maybe she did just finally make up her mind...
BearBint
Damn. Good luck, K.M.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
3Cats4CAL
mbBear said:

CalWSportsFan said:

Speculating out of my rear (okay, not the first person to do that here...ha) but I wonder if they got a silent commit from a transfer that made her feel like she was recruited over?
OR... as some reported from the banquet, she was still thinking about it, so maybe she did just finally make up her mind...

I am guessing that as well. She did well when she first transferred here but she underperformed this past year. I don't see her starting for another team.
ncbears
Sigh. I really liked her as player and a person - and a lovely family.
She made many big shots in her time at Cal.
Good luck to her on her academic and athletic journey.
smh
SFCALBear72 said:

somehow i hadn't heard of Raoul's blog before,, thanks '72. signed, '73
https://wbbblog.com/
SFCALBear72
smh said:

SFCALBear72 said:

somehow i hadn't heard of Raoul's blog before,, thanks '72.
https://wbbblog.com/

You're welcome!

It's my go-to resource.

Schroeder71
Kemery Martin's performance dropped off substantially last season. She started the year coming off of the bench but started ten consecutive games down the stretch. McKayla Williams and Kemery Martin were competing for minutes at the third guard or wing position. Now they are both gone. I hope that the Bears can bring in a portal transfer with comparable skills. Bears have a void there. Maybe the Hawaiian recruit, Lola Donez, can compete for that spot, too. GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
Is Mia Maslov returning to the team? She was not seen at the banquet, correct? If she departs, the Bears only return five experienced players: PF Marta Suarez (6-3), C Michelle Onyiah (6-3), SG Ioanna Krimili , SG Lulu Laditan-Twidale & F/ wing Claudia Langarita (6-4). Two of Cal's five primary three-point threats are gone, too.

2023-2024 California Women's Basketball (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

Five newbies will join the action along with a preferred walk-on.
Ashfield63
BearBint said:

Damn. Good luck, K.M.

Feel the same way about Kemery. There was something special about her, lovely young woman. I am hoping the transfer has something to do with finding the right Graduate Program for her to pursue. I remember when she came herel it was important to her to earn a degree from Cal. The best to Kemery. She has represented Cal well as a Student/Athlete!
GGV
Finnish Oski
Quote:

Is Mia Maslov returning to the team? She was not seen at the banquet, correct? If she departs, the Bears only return five experienced players:
It's concerning that she wasn't at the banquet but for now she's still repping Cal on all here social media platforms.
I always liked Kemery but not overly-concerned about her departure. I think/hope we can upgrade on her in the portal.
stu
I'm very happy Kemery graduated and I hope she finds the right grad program. I'll miss her but sometimes people have to move on. (Not me, I'd still be a Cal student if they didn't kick people out for accumulating too many units.)
CalWSportsFan
Michelle wasn't at the banquet either as she had a class or something....student life comes first I suppose. Also, it's "Mastrov" not "Maslov."
stu
I saw Michelle at the banquet but I arrived and left late.
CalWSportsFan
Well she wasn't there when I was there and someone said she had class. Had she been there when Charmin told us she was returning I'm sure we'd have had standing ovation! ;-)
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Is Mia Maslov returning to the team? She was not seen at the banquet, correct? If she departs, the Bears only return five experienced players: PF Marta Suarez (6-3), C Michelle Onyiah (6-3), SG Ioanna Krimili , SG Lulu Laditan-Twidale & F/ wing Claudia Langarita (6-4). Two of Cal's five primary three-point threats are gone, too.

2023-2024 California Women's Basketball (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

Can you say transfer portal??

Charmin has it perfectly under control. Relax.
Schroeder71
CWSF-thank you for correcting my mistake on Mia's last name. Mia Mastrov-I've got it.
calbear80
Martin was one of my favorite players in this year's Cal WBB roster.

Thank you for your years at Cal and wishing the best!

Go Bears!
wvitbear
She was only here for two years. Spent the first two in Utah.
mbBear
Schroeder71 said:

If we are looking for improvement, isn't turnover a good thing? Or you are implying that if they returned everyone that they would have had enough improvement individually to make for a better team?

Schroeder71
The four transfers that came in last season elevated the team to a winning program. Marta Suarez, Ioanna Krimili, McKayla Williams & Ila Lane had a major impact on the Bear's performance. The latter three were starters on their previous schools while Suarez had only played one season for Tennessee as a freshman.

I'm hoping that the caliber of portal transfers this season will be on parity with that group. It will be difficult to duplicate for Charmin Smith & Co. GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

The four transfers that came in last season elevated the team to a winning program. Marta Suarez, Ioanna Krimili, McKayla Williams & Ila Lane had a major impact on the Bear's performance. The latter three were starters on their previous schools while Suarez had only played one season for Tennessee as a freshman.

I'm hoping that the caliber of portal transfers this season will be on parity with that group. It will be difficult to duplicate for Charmin Smith & Co. GO BEARS!
I'm not so sure about that statement.

This time around, Coach Smith can point to a winning season and postseason appearance. Plus, a highly regarded freshmen class on their way to Berkeley. More leverage, I'd say, when talking to transfer portal players.
Schroeder71
I hope that you're correct, SFCB72.

Mark Madsen is on fire with six commits from the transfer portal with four more to go. He is in essence completing a makeover of the entire roster. I don't think that a coach wants to do that every year. It will be difficult to have any continuity that way. He certainly is earning his money in his new long-term contract through 2030.
mbBear
Schroeder71 said:

I hope that you're correct, SFCB72.

Mark Madsen is on fire with six commits from the transfer portal with four more to go. He is in essence completing a makeover of the entire roster. I don't think that a coach wants to do every year. It will be difficult to have any continuity that way. He certainly is earning his money in his new long-term contract through 2030.

Does Madsen have anyone (so far) that matches the pedigree of the group you mention above?
annarborbear
In ESPN's initial projections for next year, the ACC is forecast to have 7 of the top 20 teams in the country. . So to make the NCAA tournament, we are going to need portal transfers in who can play at that very high level. Especially at the PG and post player positions.
stu
Madsen had no choice. He had only 2 returning scholarship players, both freshmen who together played 127 minutes and scored 12 points. Since this was Madsen's first season at Cal he signed only 1 high school player in November. That leaves 10 open scholarships.

So far Madsen has commitments from 5 portal players and 1 JC player. They look OK on paper but none are big stars. They look way better than the transfers and international players Fox brought in. I can't compare them to Charmin's transfers until the class is complete and I see them play.
CalWSportsFan
I think we will be fine....interested to see if we get any more east coast players now....
OBear073akaSMFan
I liked Kemery and think she has lots of skilled but she really had a bad year. With the NIL it just create lots of uncertainty for her and any returnees. Not a fan of the NIL with all this jumping around.
TomBear

Hate seeing this. I thought she was one of the more truly "athletic" players on the team.

And yes, she was fun to watch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.