Jayda Noble joins Cal as a senior transfer...

2,883 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by annarborbear
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Woodacre said:

Leger-Walker supposedly committed to UCLA tonight
There's an irony since her season-ending injury last year occurred against UCLA.
annarborbear
stu said:

annarborbear said:

Looking at the point guards that are still out there in the portal, the three that make the most sense would be:

Kaitlyn Chen, Princeton - Grad Transfer, 15.8 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.9 to/pg, 48.8% field goal percentage. 32.8% three-point percentage, 76.6% free throw percentage. Downside is available for only one year.

Tess Heal, Santa Clara - Two more years of eligibility, 19.5 ppg, 4.9 apg, 3.9 to/pg, 46.2% field goal percentage, 35.2% three-point percentage. 87% free throw percentage. Could also help establish an Australian connection. Downside is stats were not as good against 5 PAC12 opponents last year - 42% shooting percentage, 19 assists, 20 TO's.

Charlisse Leger-Walker, WSU - Grad Transfer. No explanation needed. Not a true point guard, but 5.1 assists per game. Produces winning basketball. Downside - coming back from serious injury and available for only one year.

I might have also mentioned Deja Kelly from North Carolina, But here is a quote from ESPN on her:

"Kelly has also established herself as a standout in the NIL (name, image and likeness) space, boasting deals with Tommy Hilfiger, Cros, Beats by Dre and more".

More power to her, but we are not going to be able to compete with that.
What do you all think of OSU's Donovyn Hunter? I see a long PG with a well-rounded game who has 3 years of eligibility remaining.
From my standpoint, I thought we would need someone with more experience going into the ACC. But if we are taking a longer view, she is a good talent. She has made a visit to TCU, which seems to be buying some players with NIL.
stu
annarborbear said:

stu said:

annarborbear said:

Looking at the point guards that are still out there in the portal, the three that make the most sense would be:

Kaitlyn Chen, Princeton - Grad Transfer, 15.8 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.9 to/pg, 48.8% field goal percentage. 32.8% three-point percentage, 76.6% free throw percentage. Downside is available for only one year.

Tess Heal, Santa Clara - Two more years of eligibility, 19.5 ppg, 4.9 apg, 3.9 to/pg, 46.2% field goal percentage, 35.2% three-point percentage. 87% free throw percentage. Could also help establish an Australian connection. Downside is stats were not as good against 5 PAC12 opponents last year - 42% shooting percentage, 19 assists, 20 TO's.

Charlisse Leger-Walker, WSU - Grad Transfer. No explanation needed. Not a true point guard, but 5.1 assists per game. Produces winning basketball. Downside - coming back from serious injury and available for only one year.

I might have also mentioned Deja Kelly from North Carolina, But here is a quote from ESPN on her:

"Kelly has also established herself as a standout in the NIL (name, image and likeness) space, boasting deals with Tommy Hilfiger, Cros, Beats by Dre and more".

More power to her, but we are not going to be able to compete with that.
What do you all think of OSU's Donovyn Hunter? I see a long PG with a well-rounded game who has 3 years of eligibility remaining.
From my standpoint, I thought we would need someone with more experience going into the ACC. But if we are taking a longer view, she is a good talent. She has made a visit to TCU, which seems to be buying some players with NIL.
Yes, not much experience. She lead OSU to the Sweet Sixteen but I don't know if she'd look as good without those star players around her.
HoopDreams
Jayda reminds me of Karisma Ortiz
stu
Karisma might have been a better passer. Jayda is certainly a better rebounder.
SFCALBear72
TCU has former Oregon assistant coach, Mark Campbell, as their head coach. He was in Eugene for 7 years (He recruited Sabrina Ionescu) before his two-year stint at Sac State. Minyon Moore is on his staff.
Schroeder71
Hopefully, for an Oregon State PG like Donovyn Hunter, that will not be an attraction. Has the Aussie from Santa Clara visited Cal, yet?
SFCALBear72
Interesting sidebar:

I found the Instagram page for Tess Heal (the Santa Clara guard) and she is followed by our very own Lulu Twidale (fellow Aussie). hmmmmm

No mention of any college visits.
annarborbear
Have been trying to identify some proven post players in the portal who might be convinced to come here. There are some good prospects from Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State, but the cultural fit and desire to go to another winning program seem to make those unlikely.

Best bet might be to go with a less tall post like 6'1" Jordan Orbi of Penn (14.8 ppg, 7.7 rpg) or 6'2" Christeen Iwuala from UCLA (3.7 ppg, 3.0 rpg) and hope that she would be ready to step up her game with more playing time.

Can also still dream about Timea Gardiner or a to-be-identified international post.
Schroeder71
Can someone please post the link to the women's basketball transfer portal? It would seem that there should be a plethora of talented players there. I have seen the men's football transfer portal and it is huge. GO BEARS!
stu
Many sites, this is one:
https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/2023-24-transfer-portal-tracker-ncaa-womens-basketball/
annarborbear
Had overlooked that Shareef's younger sister - Amirah Abdur-Rahim - is also in the portal from SMU. She is a 6'3" post (11.3 ppg, 6.4 rpg) who started off at Notre Dame and now has one more year of eligibility (or possibly two for an injury redshirt year).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.