Charmin adds Jenny Huth, recruiting coordinator and assistant, to coaching staff.

2,558 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by mbBear
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Women's Basketball Adds Jenny Huth To Coaching Staff - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

I was hoping for more recruits, not for more staff members. Maybe this hire will work out over time. How many assistant coaches can she have? Mark Madsen hired more assistants (5) than I thought possible. GO BEARS!
SBGold
Schroeder71 said:

Women's Basketball Adds Jenny Huth To Coaching Staff - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

I was hoping for more recruits, not for more staff members. Maybe this hire will work out over time. How many assistant coaches can she have? Mark Madsen hired more assistants (5) than I thought possible. GO BEARS!
I think she's replacing Hintz though
CalWSportsFan
Nope...NCAA has new coaching rules a year ago....Cal is just catching up to that option.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2023-01-11/ncaa-division-i-council-modernizes-rules-coaching-limits

Quote:

"The Council's actions today for coaching limits reflect the ongoing efforts within Division I to modernize NCAA rules," said Lynda Tealer, executive associate athletics director at Florida and chair of the Division I Council. "These changes will ease the burden on campus compliance staffs and increase the number of coaches who can assist with recruiting activities."

The Council supported an increase of two coaches in men's and women's basketball. These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus. The rules change codified a waiver in those sports that allowed noncoaching staff members to engage in skill instruction. In both Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision football, the Council redefined graduate assistant positions to graduate student coaches and limited individuals to serving three years maximum in that role.

Schroeder71
When is the new recruiting coordinator, Jenny Huth, going to break her silence and make her presence known to Cal women's basketball? She's been on the job for 16 days and the Bears desperately need to fill at least one more personnel hole via the transfer portal: a bonafide frontcourt player that can provide depth and improve rebounding.

Stanford landed the Big Ten Freshman of the Year, a 6-4 post, last week. Their new Stanford HC, Kate Paye, stated that the ACC is more of a guard-oriented conference that lacks the giant post players that the Pac 12 possessed. Very few 6-8 or 6-7 "bigs" which will force Stanford and Cal to become more guard-oriented and less focused on defending and rebounding against "giant" posts. The Cardinal is going to focus more on 6-3 & 6-4 frontcourt players. This sounds perfect for Cal, too. Bears need to generate more scoring and better perimeter defense. GO BEARS!
annarborbear
Looks like it will have to be an international post. Every good post that I have followed in the portal has signed elsewhere. It would be good to hear some international names. One quite good international post has signed with Washington.
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

When is the new recruiting coordinator, Jenny Huth, going to break her silence and make her presence known to Cal women's basketball? She's been on the job for 16 days and the Bears desperately need to fill at least one more personnel hole via the transfer portal: a bonafide frontcourt player that can provide depth and improve rebounding.

Stanford landed the Big Ten Freshman of the Year, a 6-4 post, last week. Their new Stanford HC, Kate Paye, stated that the ACC is more of a guard-oriented conference that lacks the giant post players that the Pac 12 possessed. Very few 6-8 or 6-7 "bigs" which will force Stanford and Cal to become more guard-oriented and less focused on defending and rebounding against "giant" posts. The Cardinal is going to focus more on 6-3 & 6-4 frontcourt players. This sounds perfect for Cal, too. Bears need to generate more scoring and better perimeter defense. GO BEARS!
Well, when Eliza Pierre went to Australia from May 17-19, Jenny Huth was in Phoenix and Northern California (Roseville). Not bad since her hiring was announced on May 16th.

I think she may currently be in the midst of her move to the Bay Area. Eliza Pierre made some kind of reference to that on Instagram this past week.

Quite frankly, I don't think they add another player from the transfer portal. I think their focus is now on the 2025 class.
brevity
Schroeder71 said:

Their new Stanford HC, Kate Paye, stated that the ACC is more of a guard-oriented conference that lacks the giant post players that the Pac 12 possessed.
Well, let's see. Here are the players listed 6-2 or taller on each ACC roster next season. (It's a somewhat arbitrary criterion, but I figure that most players of that height would likely play in the frontcourt rather than at the wing or backcourt.)

If the school did not post a 2024-25 roster, I looked at the 2023-24 roster and consulted transfer portal trackers from On3 and WBB Blog, and then searched for any info about incoming freshmen.

A player's height comes from her most recent roster, and minutes per game are provided by Basketball Reference.

Boston College

6-3 sophomore Lili Krasovec (9.7 minutes per game last season)

6-4 senior Kennedi Jackson (26.8 mpg; transfer from Charleston Southern)

6-5 freshman Deborah Mukeba Kasanda
6-3 freshman Tatum Greene

California

6-4 senior Claudia Langarita (9.8 mpg)
6-3 grad Michelle Onyiah (19.1 mpg)
6-3 senior Marta Suarez (28.1 mpg)

6-3 freshman Gabrielle Abigor

Clemson

6-2 senior Eno Inyang (13.8 mpg)

6-2 senior Tessa Miller (29.0 mpg; transfer from Belmont)
6-2 grad Anya Poole (12.4 mpg; transfer from North Carolina)

Duke

6-4 sophomore Jordan Wood (4.7 mpg)
6-3 sophomore Delaney Thomas (16.6 mpg)

6-2 sophomore Riley Nelson (14.1 mpg; transfer from Maryland)

6-4 freshman Arianna Roberson
6-2 freshman Toby Fournier
6-2 freshman Jenessa Cotton

Florida State

6-3 sophomore Avery Treadwell (4.2 mpg)
6-2 senior Makayla Timpson (29.8 mpg)
6-2 redshirt sophomore Mariana Valenzuela (injured last season; 17.2 mpg in 2022-2023)

6-4 Malea Williams (23.6 mpg; transfer from Cincinnati)

Georgia Tech

6-6 Ariadna Termis (10.5 mpg)
6-2 D'Asia Thomas-Harris (7.8 mpg)

Louisville

6-3 grad Olivia Cochran (27.1 mpg)
6-3 sophomore Elif Istanbulluoglu (12.7 mpg)
6-2 junior Nyla Harris (27.1 mpg)

6-5 redshirt freshman Eseosa Imafidon
6-4 freshman Isla Juffermans
6-3 freshman Anaya Hardy

Miami

6-5 grad Natalija Marshall (20.2 mpg; transfer from Notre Dame)
6-3 Cameron Williams (17.9 mpg; transfer from Michigan)

6-4 redshirt freshman Aurora Almon

NC State

6-3 sophomore Mallory Collier (6.3 mpg)
6-2 sophomore Maddie Cox (9.7 mpg)

6-4 senior Caitlin Weimar (35.7 mpg; transfer from Boston U)

6-6 freshman Tilda Trygger
6-5 freshman Lorena Awou

North Carolina

6-3 senior Maria Gakdeng (23.9 mpg)

6-5 freshman Blanca Thomas
6-4 redshirt freshman Ciera Toomey

Notre Dame

6-4 senior Kylee Watson (25.9 mpg)
6-3 grad Maddy Westbeld (33.2 mpg)
6-2 sophomore Cassandre Prosper (22.8 mpg in only 5 games)

6-2 grad Liza Karlen (31.0 mpg; transfer from Marquette)

6-4 freshman Kate Koval

Pittsburgh

6-4 grad Khadija Faye (12.2 mpg; transfer from Texas)
6-3 senior MaKayla Elmore (25.6 mpg; transfer from Clemson)

6-2 grad Ioanna Chatzileonti (injured last season; transfer from Kansas; 26.6 mpg in 2022-2023)

SMU

6-2 senior Jessica Peterson (7.0 mpg)

6-3 junior Brianna McLeod (6.1 mpg; transfer from Colorado)

Stanford

6-3 senior Brooke Demetre (21.0 mpg)
6-2 sophomore Nunu Agara (13.9 mpg)
6-2 senior Elena Bosgana (17.9 mpg)

6-2 sophomore Mary Ashley Stevenson (27.9 mpg; transfer from Purdue)

6-4 freshman Kennedy Umeh
6-3 freshman Harper Peterson

Syracuse

6-3 senior Kyra Wood (21.5 mpg)
6-2 sophomore Sophie Burrows (18.6 mpg)

6-3 junior Journey Thompson (21.1 mpg; transfer from Arizona State)

6-2 freshman Ka'Shya Hawkins

Virginia

6-7 grad Taylor Lauterbach (7.2 mpg)
6-3 sophomore Edessa Noyan (13.7 mpg)
6-2 sophomore Olivia McGhee (14.8 mpg)

6-7 sophomore Hawa Doumbouya (3.5 mpg; transfer from Maryland)
6-4 sophomore RyLee Grays (3.6 mpg; transfer from North Carolina)
6-4 senior Latasha Lattimore (15.0 mpg; transfer from Miami)

6-2 freshman Breona Hurd

Virginia Tech

6-2 senior Rose Micheaux (12.5 mpg)
6-2 sophomore Carys Baker (11.8 mpg)

6-5 freshman Ramiya White
6-4 freshman Myah Hazelton

Wake Forest

6-3 redshirt junior Malaya Cowles (24.5 mpg)
6-2 redshirt senior Demeara Hinds (injured last season; 21.6 mpg in 2022-2023)

6-2 freshman Kennedy Moore
Schroeder71
Great job, brevity! It'll be hard to get used to 18 teams in the ACC. How many do we play each season? Several schools are formidable in basketball (I think). I see that Journey Thompson, ASU's 6-3 center, transferred to Syracuse. Stanford's new transfer, Mary Ashley Stevenson, from Purdue is evidently 6-2 based upon your post. I thought that I remembered her height at 6-4 when I read the article last week in the SF Chronicle. She averaged 9+ ppg. My memory ain't what it used to be. GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Great job, brevity! It'll be hard to get used to 18 teams in the ACC. How many do we play each season? Several schools are formidable in basketball (I think). I see that Journey Thompson, ASU's 6-3 center, transferred to Syracuse. Stanford's new transfer, Mary Ashley Stevenson, from Purdue is evidently 6-2 based upon your post. I thought that I remembered her height at 6-4 when I read the article last week in the SF Chronicle. She averaged 9+ ppg. My memory ain't what it used to be. GO BEARS!

Here you go. ACC WBB opponents for next 2 seasons.

Women's Basketball ACC Opponents Released - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
Schroeder71
Thanks, SFCB72! I remember seeing this but, I guess, because there are so many teams, it went in one ear and out the other. How come Cal and Stanford play each other twice? It should be interesting and enjoyable to observe all of these matchups between new opponents. GO BEARS!
ClayK
Great post, Brevity. It does look like the ACC is not very post heavy ... it will be an interesting season getting to know new teams.

As for Jenny Huth, 16 days isn't really quite long enough to accuse her of not doing her job. It takes time to land recruits, usually several years of communication. And now she has to sell a completely different product.
mbBear
SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

Well, when Eliza Pierre went to Australia from May 17-19, Jenny Huth was in Phoenix and Northern California (Roseville). Not bad since her hiring was announced on May 16th.

I think she may currently be in the midst of her move to the Bay Area. Eliza Pierre made some kind of reference to that on Instagram this past week.

Quite frankly, I don't think they add another player from the transfer portal. I think their focus is now on the 2025 class.
Well, if she didn't call "key" posters here personally, can we really call it "breaking her silence"??? You are trying to tell me that being out on the recruiting trail should count for something?!!!
annarborbear
Twelve ACC teams are bringing in new portal posts, and thirteen will have new freshmen posts, adding to the unpredictability of what is about to happen.
SBGold
mbBear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

Well, if she didn't call "key" posters here personally, can we really call it "breaking her silence"??? You are trying to tell me that being out on the recruiting trail should count for something?!!!
We all always need to do more!
mbBear
SBGold said:

mbBear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

We all always need to do more!

Oh yes, let's make **** up to criticize is the lesson here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.