Story Poster
Photo by Bear Insider
Cal Basketball

Bear Insider Video: Cal Grad Transfer Guard Recee Caldwell

August 31, 2018

Late this summer, Cal women's basketball fans received some good news in the commitment of 5'9 grad transfer guard Recee Caldwell when she decided to use her last year of eligibility in Berkeley after graduating from Texas Tech.

Caldwell has found the life of a grad transfer much different than her experience as an undergrad and she's embracing the change.

"I just met with my advisor today and to only have six units when I'm usually taking 15 or 18 is pretty wild, so have a lot of free time but I'm taking advantage of every time. So it's pretty cool," said Caldwell.

Even though Caldwell's making a big move from Texas to the Bay Area, she's no stranger to the West Coast, growing up in Hemet, CA before moving to San Antonio as a young teenager.

"I'm a California kid," said Calwell, with a smile. "California is just beautiful. I just feel like I'm home so it's nice."

Cal head coach Lindsay Gottlieb noted in the Cal women's basketball press conference that her relationship with Caldwell actually began much earlier than this year.

"I would say probably seventh grade, eighth grade," said Caldwell of when she first met the Cal head coach. "I began to be really recruited from a lot of schools, so that's probably when I started having a bond."

Was it an easy transition reestablishing that relationship?

"Everybody gets along with Coach G. And if you don't, there's a problem," said Caldwell, with a laugh. "It was pretty easy."

The same can be said for bonding with her new teammates.

"It's been pretty seamless as well," said Caldwell. "I've known about four or five girls. just being from California. A lot of the others are California kids, as well. California is pretty tight knit when it comes to basketball, so it was pretty seamless."

When Caldwell's transfer was announced, Gottlieb said: "We are truly looking forward to having Receé in a Cal uniform. She's the first graduate transfer our program has ever had and is going to bring to this team some special things that you would expect of a fifth-year student-athlete. She's a very crafty and gifted scorer. She knows how to create her own shot while also creating shots for others. In addition, Recee' is a coaches' kid. She's communicative and has been tested in a number of different experiences on the floor. She loves this game so much and is a true competitor who can help us take our program to the next level."

Caldwell spent her first season with UCLA before transferring to Texas Tech as a soph. After sitting out her transfer season, Caldwell proved to be a perimeter weapon for the Red Raiders, averaging 14.5 points per game, good for 8th in conference, as well as near the top of the conference from the arc, shooting 3's at a 36.4% clip, including 7-for-12 in their win over Texas A&M.

Caldwell had to shut things down after an injury 13 games into her junior season but is healthy and raring to go for the Bears this season

After having a chance to hit the court a bit with her new teammates, how does the newest Bear feel about the talent surrounding her?

"What we don't lack is talent, said Caldwell, confidently. "I think it's been pretty cool that we've been able to pick up and our use our (NCAA limited summer practice) hours to somewhat gel as a team.

"I know we're only in August, so it's gonna take a little bit of time, but we don't lack talent at all." 

Caldwell was a big perimeter threat with A&M, putting the team on her back in many games with her accuracy on the 3-ball.

"I think that is my strength," said Caldwell. "I shoot the ball. But I am a playmaker as well. I think my different roles from the past couple of years have been to really score the ball. I know last year I had a pretty good year in assists, so I'm just looking to really combine my sophomore year, my junior year and put it all together for my senior year."

And what is the newest Golden Bear looking most looking forward to this year?

"Winning," said the senior guard, with a smile. "Making a deep run in the tournament." 

Exactly what cal fans want to hear.

Discussion from...

Bear Insider Video: Cal Grad Transfer Guard Recee Caldwell

10,876 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Fun to do this interview after all the crap you guys gave me when it couldn't be quickly announced after I tipped you off that good news was coming
Schroeder71
Now that I have seen her talk on three occasions, Caldwell is quickly becoming one my favorites on the team. She's cute and has a winsome personality. I'll forgive you, Jim, for holding that "secret" transfer for so darn long.
GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
I love her confidence, personality and enthusiasm. Great fit with her teammates. She could be quite the difference-maker this season.
puget sound cal fan
Caldwell is a very good addition for the Bears. To be honest, though, MB, I was hoping the transfer was an experienced and skilled post.
MoragaBear
Staff
Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, you can never have too many strong perimeter shooters.
SFCALBear72
MoragaBear said:

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, you can never have too many strong perimeter shooters.
Absolutely! Particularly if they bring Mi'Cole Cayton back slowly and not rush her recovery period.
MoragaBear
Staff
MiCole will be a big key, too, and is another of my favorite players for what she brings to the court. Did a video interview with her, too, we'll have up in the coming week.
Big Dog
Only six units? When did we start on the 'furd academic schedule?
HoopDreams
MoragaBear said:

MiCole will be a big key, too, and is another of my favorite players for what she brings to the court. Did a video interview with her, too, we'll have up in the coming week.
WBB has some big personalities and some big time players/athletes
how can you not love this team
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.