Cal vs. Michigan & Pepperdine for Crocker 2019

5,628 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bobbk
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Finally some encouraging recruiting news.
SFCALBear72
Interesting choices.

Michigan finished 23-10 last season and 10-6 in the Big Ten. They went to the NCAA Tournament and lost in the 2nd round to Baylor. Sounds very similar to Cal.

Pepperdine has a new coaching staff. Coach Milton-Jones played in the Olympics and WNBA (LA Sparks). The team finished 10-20 last season in her debut as coach.
CalFanatic
It sounds like we are in a very good position to land two more talented guards outside of Fields. That's wonderful and all- but what about the post recruiting? CJ is going to need some help next year!
stu
CalFanatic said:

It sounds like we are in a very good position to land two more talented guards outside of Fields. That's wonderful and all- but what about the post recruiting? CJ is going to need some help next year!
Even more worrisome is the following year, when CJ will be gone. I like small ball but not to the point of putting 5 guards on the court!
annarborbear
Missing out on post players last year is what really hurts. We should probably be looking for a mature foreign player and possibly a grad transfer along with one or two frosh recruits. And we should definitely have some Plan B players in the pipeline in case the Plan A post targets go elsewhere.

Based on my years in Ann Arbor, we should also start a fund to help Crocker make a visit to Ann Arbor in December or January.

Regarding a possible grad transfer, you are probably looking for someone like Caldwell who has had a medical redshirt along the way and has the units to graduate early if they want to. Not sure if you can reach out to people like that, or if you have to wait for them to reach out to you.

Interestingly, Michigan also has a grad transfer on their team this year. Taylor Rooks started out at Stanford, didn't do much there, and then transferred to Harvard. She completed her degree at Harvard last year, and with one year of eligibility left, is now enrolled for a masters in business at Michigan.
puget sound cal fan
Did Cal ever pursue her?
SFCALBear72

Also as per Raoul on Twitter (Sept. 4, 2018):

WBB: Top-60 ranked Sydnee Roby, 6-3 C, Milwaukee King HS (WI-2019), took her first official visit over the weekend, to Texas A&M. Her other finalists are Cal, Louisville, Marquette, Miami (FL), Michigan State, and Notre Dame.
CalFanatic
Am I missing anyone?

Cal recruits/still in running.

Cailyn Crocker
Alexis Tucker
Sydnee Roby
Angel Jackson

I know we were recruiting the talented WA post from this class. Just don't have any information her recent recruiting. GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Haley Jones?

Has she eliminated us?
ricehntr5
lets be honest.. that was formality to make it that far in her choices. No chance
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

Am I missing anyone?

Cal recruits/still in running.

Cailyn Crocker
Alexis Tucker
Sydnee Roby
Angel Jackson

I know we were recruiting the talented WA post from this class. Just don't have any information her recent recruiting. GO BEARS!
Competition for Angel Jackson:

"In addition to Florida, other schools that Angel Jackson, 6-3 C, Salesian HS (CA), *might* be looking at (based on home/school visits in March) include Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, UCLA, Colorado, and USC". -Raoul (Sept.5, 2018).
puget sound cal fan
Crocker is a solid recruit, but where are the front court recruits the Bears need in a big way?
wbbilluminati
Crocker highlights. I'm impressed. Love her mid-range game.

SFCALBear72
According to Raoul on twitter, Cailyn Crocker is taking her official visit to Michigan this weekend (Sept 14-16).
annarborbear
Michigan's coach, Barnes-Arico, has been somewhat of a disappointment since coming in from St. John's, although she has made it twice to the NCAA second round. However, it looks like she has now had a break-through recruiting class this past year, and that may make it attractive to others now being pursued. Most top players in that last class were front-line people, so they will still be looking for additional guards.
CalFanatic
SFCALBear72 said:

According to Raoul on twitter, Cailyn Crocker is taking her official visit to Michigan this weekend (Sept 14-16).
The same time Jackson made hers- spotted at the Cal football game yesterday!
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

SFCALBear72 said:

The same time Jackson made hers- spotted at the Cal football game yesterday!
Yes. Hosted by McKenzie Forbes, Cal Stars teammates. Lauren Fields is also here on her official visit and hosted by Kianna Smith.
puget sound cal fan
Pepperdine and Michigan--that's quite a contrast in those two schools.
SFCALBear72
Looks like Coach G went down to Mater Dei HS yesterday to watch the girls basketball practice.
wbbilluminati
I'm optimistic about Crocker both w/ our chances and her ability, but it seems like she's a shooting guard not a point guard, and I get the same impression with Lauren Fields.

I don't think Cal is recruiting the 2019 PG from Sac High, though she's ranked top 100.

The top PG in NorCal for 2020 is Anya Choice from Cardinal Newman 5'6", but only #5 overall in NorCal. TeHina PaoPao from La Jolla looks hands down the best PG in Cali for 2020, but there's a new intriguing PG name also from SoCal, Kaitlyn Chen ranked top 50 by Hoopgurlz: http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235803/kaitlyn-chen

We will need a successor to Kiana Smith at some point.
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

I'm optimistic about Crocker both w/ our chances and her ability, but it seems like she's a shooting guard not a point guard, and I get the same impression with Lauren Fields.

I don't think Cal is recruiting the 2019 PG from Sac High, though she's ranked top 100.

The top PG in NorCal for 2020 is Anya Choice from Cardinal Newman 5'6", but only #5 overall in NorCal. TeHina PaoPao from La Jolla looks hands down the best PG in Cali for 2020, but there's a new intriguing PG name also from SoCal, Kaitlyn Chen ranked top 50 by Hoopgurlz: http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235803/kaitlyn-chen

We will need a successor to Kiana Smith at some point.
Based upon her twitter feed, it looks like Coach Charmin Smith was in Phoenix earlier this week. Who do you think she went to see?

There's an uncommitted point guard there - Leilani McIntosh at Xavier College Prep. Thoughts?
ClayK
Xavier College Prep is coming to the West Coast Jamboree Dec. 27-29 -- along with Harvard-Westlake, Esperanza, St. Mary's of Stockton, Salesian, Pinewood, Bishop O'Dowd, West Campus, Sacramento, Carondelet, Miramonte and others.

No Mitty or Cardinal Newman.

California as a whole is down this year in terms of national-level teams. SoCal's best is probably Mater Dei or Etiwanda (which may arrive), and Mitty, Salesian and Pinewood look like the best in NorCal.
ClayK
Watched half of the Crocker tape -- she went left almost every time (once to the right), and the pull up jumper, at her size, is not a high-percentage shot in the college game. Highlight films are always hard to evaluate, as obviously they show the best of the player, but the fact there were only three threes, and all were right at the line and wide open, is not encouraging.

The prize at Mater Dei is Brook Demetre; Crocker looks to me to be a complementary player, which is why her list is what it is. She needs to add a consistent and deeper three-pointer, and penetration off the dribble going to her right. No way to judge defense, really, but she seems to offer strength rather than quickness.
wvitbear
Thanks Clay. I was going to ask you if certain teams would be at the Jamboree but hadn't figured out which ones I want to see. I can see Jackson any time as she is only a few miles from me.
bobbk
Demetre is outstanding, top 10 and will get better, just starting her Soph season. She and Jackson played in Rocklin in July and I was able to see 3 of their games, same travel team. I have seen Jackson now 7-8 times and always thought a very good player and 6-5, but agreed with Clay on her offense. However she looked pretty good offensively at this tournament so a definite improvement.

Sorry I didn't say Hi Clay but you were busy when I was nearby.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.