Recruits

19,346 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Baygbear
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went to the Jamboree yesterday to see a potential recruit. This is the first year that I didn't go to the Platinum division which is supposedly the highest division. Instead I went to see Antelope play. Antelope has two guards whom are rated highly in the sophomore class in Northern Cal. I know we are interested in them or maybe just one but I wanted to see for myself.

The two are Jzanya Harriel, a 5'9" guard and Kaiija Lesane, a 5'6" point guard. Both are athletic with ball handling skills.

Of the two, Harriel is the higher rated. She can handle the ball, shoot in traffic and I think she can shoot outside. But she is wildly undisciplined. She shot a lot of three pointers and some from very far out but she didn't make any of them. She has good instincts for the ball. But she is not well coached. Their whole team throws up a lot of wild shots. Reminds me of Brittany Boyd in that she will have to be reined in when she hits college. Her game is different from Brittany but she kind of does what she wants to.

Watching her, I wondered how well she would take coaching. Reading what Geno A said when they had the talk, I know he wants players that are willing to be coached. Maybe this player will be willing but I would want to know her personality. She has the raw talent but she would have to fit in the structure better.

Lesane might be more explosive. Would want to see more of her. Antelope played a man to man the second half but they really don't know how to play real man to man. But they are both athletic enough to grasp it. Trouble with most high school teams now is they like to press the whole game and fall into a zone. So it is hard to assess their defensive skills.

I also wanted to see Lincloln of Stockton play as they have a good sophomore too. I got their late but imagine my surprise when this Lincoln team was from Tacoma wash.

Bear Creek, who also has a very good sophomore guard will be here in January to play in a MLK tourney. I would like to see her if possible.

Last , let me tip my hat to Clay for getting some 150 plus team to play in this tournament. Getting the gyms, the officials, and scorers is an amazing quest.
wvitbear
The January 19th game for Bear Creek is at Bishop O'Dowd. The player to watch is Mya Blake whom Clay said was really something. Not very tall but neither is Thomas. And they are playing Card Newman with Anaya Choice whom many people said was the best player on the court against Pinewood. Two good Northern Cal guards in the same game.
wvitbear
Antelope won the Coral Division in the Jamboree. Harriel is considered the best sophomore in Northern Cal at this time.
puget sound cal fan
How about some tall, skilled post players, guys?
wvitbear
Hereis a name for big ones. Abigail Muse of Heritage. A 6'2" post in the 2020 class. Probably the best big in Northern cal in next year's class.

While I went to see Antelope, my friends went to the Platinum Division (supposedly the best teams). Heritage won it in a mild upset. Heritqage is out in Breantwood so East Bay fans could check it out. How about you Cal fanatic? I don't know if Cal is recruiting her or not. These Cal fans see a lot of high school games and we compare notes all the time. And they like her.

Speaking of big ones, who is the center in Seattle whom Lindsey went up to look at. And have you seen her Puget?
wvitbear
Heritage won the Gold Division instead of the Platinum. Pinewood won the Platinum over Salesian.
wvitbear
Puget, is Cal recruiting Dalayah Daniels a 6'4" center from Garfield. Have you seen her play?
ClayK
Charmin Smith came to the Harvard-Westlake/Miramonte game, presumably to watch the 6-2 forward Iriafen from H-W. She's not really a post at the next level, but has a nice touch up to about 10-12 feet and is very mobile and reasonably athletic.

Miramonte won the game by 10, but it's interesting how styles of officiating differ. When Miramonte was in San Diego, the physicality allowed by the officials caused problems -- but it was the same both ways. When H-W came north, contact that usually wasn't a foul was, and H-W's best perimeter player was in foul trouble from the second quarter on.

wbbilluminati
wvitbear said:

Puget, is Cal recruiting Dalayah Daniels a 6'4" center from Garfield. Have you seen her play?
Have read she was getting looked at by UConn even. Has been linked with Stanford for a while, too, and apparently has the grades. She released a top 5 or 6 list a while back with Stanford, UConn, the Oregon schools and a couple others but no Cal.

"Daniels has drawn more than 30 scholarship offers, including every school in the Pac-12."
wvitbear
Harriel had a big game the other night. Stanford was there watching. Someone said she had a 4.5GPA.
wvitbear
Today at Bishop O'DCowd is a couple of games worth seeing. Two guards in the 2 O'Clock game and a big person in there 6:00pm game. I hope to be at the 2:00pm game but not sure I'll stay for the 6 O'Clock game.
wbbilluminati
I noticed 5'10" guard Daylee Dunn transferred from Bishop O'Dowd to Salesian. At Salesian, she only averages 2 ppg, but still ranked top 6 by NorCalPreps.
wbbilluminati
Cal is following 6'6" Kennedy Basham from Arizona (but actually plays for AAU powerhouse Cal Sparks in LA). She is expected to be an elite prospect but only c/o 2022.
wvitbear
Back from Bishop O'Dowd. Saw an absolutely fantastic game between CardinaL Newman of Santa Rosa and Bear Creek out of Stockton. What a game . Big plays down the stretch by both teams. But it was ruined when the Bear Creek coach pulled a boner. Score tied with 4.2 seconds. Cardinal Newman player shooting two free throws. She missed the first and she had missed two others just before that. The Bear Creek coach called a time out before the second shot except they didn't have a time out left. Two technicals and the ball out for Santa Rosa.

Got to see Anya Choice,a junior guard out of Cardinal Newman and Mya Blake out of Bear Creek. Both played great but Choice is on a different plane. Best guard I have seen in Northern Cal this year. She can do it all. Impossible to stop when penetrating to basket. Great passer. Shoots the three. Already has a college body. And plays in a very well coached high school team so is not making silly mistakes. Both teams were not tall and everybody ran and everybody handled the ball.

Blake is a year younger and is smaller and thin. Maybe 5'4" tall. But she can penetrate and shoot the three. But not as good as Anya. However, she had a freshamen team mate I want all of you to watch named Junae Mahan. Boy she made some big shots down the stretch. Played center on defense and guard on offense but she is really strong and can also shoot the three.

Special tip of the hat to Avery Cargill, who is going to play college ball somewhere in Hawaii. She can really shoot.

Watched the first half of the Salesian and Bishop Montgomery. The big girl from Salesian has gotten better but Bishop Montgomery was leading at the half. Had a couple of players that might bare watching if you had a chance. Didn't get their names.

Didn't stick for the Heritage game so I didn't get to see Abigail Muse but the two brothers who I sat with who see more high school games than i do really like her. Said she is pretty thin though.
wbbilluminati
wvitbear said:

Back from Bishop O'Dowd. Saw an absolutely fantastic game between CardinaL Newman of Santa Rosa and Bear Creek out of Stockton. What a game . Big plays down the stretch by both teams. But it was ruined when the Bear Creek coach pulled a boner. Score tied with 4.2 seconds. Cardinal Newman player shooting two free throws. She missed the first and she had missed two others just before that. The Bear Creek coach called a time out before the second shot except they didn't have a time out left. Two technicals and the ball out for Santa Rosa.

Got to see Anya Choice,a junior guard out of Cardinal Newman and Mya Blake out of Bear Creek. Both played great but Choice is on a different plane. Best guard I have seen in Northern Cal this year. She can do it all. Impossible to stop when penetrating to basket. Great passer. Shoots the three. Already has a college body. And plays in a very well coached high school team so is not making silly mistakes. Both teams were not tall and everybody ran and everybody handled the ball.

Blake is a year younger and is smaller and thin. Maybe 5'4" tall. But she can penetrate and shoot the three. But not as good as Anya. However, she had a freshamen team mate I want all of you to watch named Junae Mahan. Boy she made some big shots down the stretch. Played center on defense and guard on offense but she is really strong and can also shoot the three.

Special tip of the hat to Avery Cargill, who is going to play college ball somewhere in Hawaii. She can really shoot.

Watched the first half of the Salesian and Bishop Montgomery. The big girl from Salesian has gotten better but Bishop Montgomery was leading at the half. Had a couple of players that might bare watching if you had a chance. Didn't get their names.

Didn't stick for the Heritage game so I didn't get to see Abigail Muse but the two brothers who I sat with who see more high school games than i do really like her. Said she is pretty thin though.
Bria Shine (listed 6'0" to 6'2") ranked #2 behind Muse right now. Face-up power forward with poor shooting percentages for Christian Brothers in Sac this year (but 10 rpg).

Amiya Oliver 6'1' wing/forward was considered the top of this class for NorCal and seems to be back from injury for St. Mary's Stockton but still ranked below Muse Shine and a couple others.
wvitbear
Harriel is the number one recruit in the class 2021 for Nor Cal prep. The only 5 star recruit.

In the 2020 Class, Choice moves up to number 3. Abigail Muse a 6'2" forward for Heritage who has been mentioned before is number one and Brita Shine, a 6'2" forward from Christain Bros is number two. All are 4 star recruits. People in the Valley can tell us if they see Shine. East Bay folks can see Heritage. And North Bay folks can see Choice.
willtalk
Oregon St. Just got a commit from 2019 Jelena Mitrovic a 6'9" center from Serbia. She joins two other five star posts Brown 6'6" and 6'3" Jones. To add to their returning 6'7" and 6'9" posts. The bears should follow the Oregon St bus and just grab on of their 5 post players next season. Oregon St wouldn't even know one was gone.

I know that Scott R. is now considered a post whisperer, but still how can Oregon St have that many post commits and Cal's cupboard is so bare?
annarborbear
willtalk said:

Oregon St. Just got a commit from 2019 Jelena Mitrovic a 6'9" center from Serbia. She joins two other five star posts Brown 6'6" and 6'3" Jones. To add to their returning 6'7" and 6'9" posts. The bears should follow the Oregon St bus and just grab on of their 5 post players next season. Oregon St wouldn't even know one was gone.

I know that Scott R. is now considered a post whisperer, but still how can Oregon St have that many post commits and Cal's cupboard is so bare?
As a top program. OSU has reached the point that they can over-recruit, redshirt some people, have a survival-of-the-fittest contest, see a few people eventually transfer out, and then bring in the next post recruiting class. Hamblin and Gullich were great post development success stories, and their offensive system uses posts in multiple ways.. International posts don't have to worry as much about academic adjustments, and posts from Canada and the rural areas feel at home in Corvallis. They are winning, and after four years of development, you have a good chance of moving on to the WNBA, while having some fun along the way.

Our recruiting has been dropping off because we have not had similar results. But maybe Kristine's great senior season will make a difference. However, not many great post players will likely want to come here only to be triple-teamed.
GOLDEN
willtalk said:

Not sure if you can keep everyone happy overfilling a position so you are exactly right some harvesting might be done. Maybe he will weed out two or three?

Btw, Oregons new commit Holly Winterburn of Great Britain scored 51 points in a game this week and broke a school record hitting 14 threes.
CalFanatic
willtalk said:

C-O-A-C-H-I-N-G. We sure as hell wouldn't be 7th in the conference with Scott R. in charge of the program.
stu
Perhaps we lack (or don't allocate) resources for international scouting and recruiting. Too bad, Cal has great name recognition overseas and anyone can see Kristine's development under our coaches.
puget sound cal fan
Sorry, wvitty, I have not seen her play.
puget sound cal fan
Isn't that the same route Angwe took to wind-up at Cal? Have the Bears been following her?
wbbilluminati
puget sound cal fan said:

Isn't that the same route Angwe took to wind-up at Cal? Have the Bears been following her?
If I follow correctly, no, Anigwe did not play for Cal Sparks but rather a local AAU team based in Arizona, and not the one that Chantel Osahor, Courtney Ekmark, et al. played for, thus Anigwe was always under the radar until USA Basketball trials. Jaelyn Brown and Celeste West, however, did play for Cal Sparks.

Another young Arizona player I've heard some buzz about is Jennah Isai. I believe she's 6'0"-6'1" long small forward type. She was offered by Arizona in 8th grade. She looks like a good ball player in video I saw posted on the UConn board:
wbbilluminati
Versatile guard 5'10" Meghan Fiso from near Seattle ranked #36 by Prospects Nation for c/o 2020 has committed to Michigan. Only Washington State was listed in her finalists as a Pac-12 option, but I know Coach G was following her on Twitter at least. Looked great in video with a Kelsey Plum style game.

https://prospectsnation.com/story/no-36-fiso-chooses-michigan

Tehina Paopao from La Jolla Country Day is probably atop our backcourt wish list for 2020. She was a consensus top 10 recruit before sidelined by an ACL I believe.
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

Versatile guard 5'10" Meghan Fiso from near Seattle ranked #36 by Prospects Nation for c/o 2020 has committed to Michigan. Only Washington State was listed in her finalists as a Pac-12 option, but I know Coach G was following her on Twitter at least. Looked great in video with a Kelsey Plum style game.

https://prospectsnation.com/story/no-36-fiso-chooses-michigan

Tehina Paopao from La Jolla Country Day is probably atop our backcourt wish list for 2020. She was a consensus top 10 recruit before sidelined by an ACL I believe.
Alaysia Styles graduated from La Jolla Country Day.
wifeisafurd
bearwbbfan
Staff had an in-home visit with 6-4 2020 TX C Fatou Samb. Long, athletic big.
R90
I count 9 uncommitted post prospects (6'3"-6'6") listed in the top-40 here:
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2020

Dugalic is #33.
Samb isn't listed in the top-60, but may be one of Lindsay's under-the-radar finds.

I expect the staff is still talking to a great any post prospects for 2020.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
bearwbbfan
While not ranked, she isn't super under the radar. She already hosted Clemson and Alabama, and holds offers from Arkansas, Boston College, Florida, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Houston, and Kansas. Should be a good one.
R90
bearwbbfan said:

While not ranked, she isn't super under the radar. She already hosted Clemson and Alabama, and holds offers from Arkansas, Boston College, Florida, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Houston, and Kansas. Should be a good one.
If those were men's teams, I'd think we didn't have a chance. Fortunately they're not.

Women's RPIs through Sunday:
#40 California
#51 Clemson
#64 Georgia Tech
#65 Arkansas
#109 Houston
#132 Boston College
#153 Kansas
#161 Alabama
#204 Vanderbilt
#241 Florida

"Long, athletic, big" sounds like Lindsay's kind of player. She could make a great tandem with Dugalic by 2022.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
wvitbear
Anya Choice MVP player of the year in Northern Cal. And Clay agrees. Said last year she was the best guard I had seen. Too bad she is going to Santa Barbara.
CalFanatic
I hope we are still actively recruiting Mastrov from Miramonte.
wbbilluminati
CalFanatic said:

I hope we are still actively recruiting Mastrov from Miramonte.
It seems the Cal coaches are recruiting her.
CalFanatic
She's exactly the type of player Cal should be investing in, IMO. We have a lot of other pieces of the puzzle...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.