CAL vs UCLA

4,766 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GATC
pearbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Game has started. Smith hit a three for a 3-2 Cal lead.

Let's see how Bears respond to Harvard loss...
IssyBear
Sloppy passing is killing us. We seem way too casual, and UCLA is taking full advantage.
IssyBear
Down by 10 at half. Very poor passing and defense.
Schroeder71
I have not seen the 1st half because I cannot get the Pac12 feed for Comcast. However, I have followed the live stats and UCLA pulled away because of a plethora of Cal TOs in the 2nd quarter. The Bears have commited 11 turnovers to only 4 for the Bruins. This has resulted in UCLA getting ten more field goal attempts in the 1st half.
It sounds as if Onyenwere is scoring at will and the Bruins are scoring often on easy layups. Anigwe sounds as if she is struggling shooting again. She missed multiple layups and is 1 for 3 on FTs. Once again Cal's defense is yielding an opponent shooting 50% (18-36) from the floor on their home court. Pitiful.

Can someone tell the steps necessary to watch the game on Pac 12 Networks? Cal live-stream is not being used tonight. Thank you in advance. GO BEARS!
Bear8995
I keep thinking that we must be Ok since we are ranked. Then I watch and see the same thing I've seen in years past. LOTS of turnovers. Really bad passes. Little movement on offense. Missed free throws. Going for steals and giving up easy baskets. Really hard to believe there are only 17 teams in the country better than us.

I hope this is an aberration. But maybe I should stop watching. They seem to play better when I don't.
pearbear
It's as if we're not prepared for UCLA's quickness and length. So many passes tipped. And UCLA closes very quickly on shooters and down low.
gljone
Bears very sloppy...very loose with the ball. Question for Pearbear since you cover the team: why don't the Bears get out in transition more? Seems they are content with a slower pace...I would think the Bears have the guards and wings plus Anigwe to run more?
pearbear
gljone said:

Bears very sloppy...very loose with the ball. Question for Pearbear since you cover the team: why don't the Bears get out in transition more? Seems they are content with a slower pace...I would think the Bears have the guards and wings plus Anigwe to run more?
I think they try to push. But in this game, UCLA crashes offensive glass hard, so everyone has to stay home to rebound. And UCLA does a good job getting back and cutting off passing lanes (the Recee Caldwell three-quarter court passes) while doing so.
OdontoBear66
Ranked team at home gets totally outplayed by perennial power that is unranked this year in the first half. Ugly with turnovers. Hope the 2nd half bodes well. Hate losing to lil' sister 'ruins in WBB.
IssyBear
Wish we would feed Smith more often. She's deadly with her floater from the baseline.
ncbears
Onyenwere is just killing the Bears.
ncbears
AT! and we are tied at 53.
IssyBear
Caldwell goes to the bench and we tie the score. This has not been one of her better games.
ncbears
And AT floats the Bears into the lead at the end of 3.
gljone
Thanks...maybe it also comes down to questionable decision making. Anyhow, the Bears flipped the proverbial switch and have taken the lead with some (finally!) inspired play late in Q3. Hope they can bring it home...
Bear8995
Glad it isn't me. I watched the 3rd period and we looked like a completely different team. Other than leaving Onyenwere open for a 3, the defense is much better. Still, too many sloppy passes. We need to stop trying to throw lobs and lazy passes on the perimeter. If the person isn't open, then instead of trying to hold their defender off, they need to go away and set a screen.
ncbears
The difference - per Kate and Mary - is that Drummer was out while Cal made its run. Drummer is back in and just made a 3 point play.
IssyBear
Is Styles okay? She has only played 1 minute.
ncbears
1:54 to go. Cal up by a single point.
ncbears
I don't know how AT made that shot - but make it she did. A pretzel!
ncbears
Ugh. Missed FT turns into a basket - and we are tied. Cal with the ball and 17 seconds to go...
I presume AT will dribble and look for KA, but then...we will see
ncbears
Um, that was not the play, Bears....
ncbears
I don't know what Forbes was thinking - she was covered - there was plenty of time. And now UCLA has a chance...
ncbears
Overtime.
Bear8995
No excuse for that poor boxing out. Forbes should have been helping box out Onyenwere and Smith should have taken the shooter. Smith ended up boxing out no one on that play. That can't happen.
ncbears
OT is not going so well.
calbear80
Now UCLA ahead 74-71.

Let's GO BEARS and somehow win this one.
ncbears
The Bears get hammered - no call - ball on floor, looks like a tie up with Bears calling time out - and not getting call. Aargh.
calbear80
UCLA by 4 with 24 seconds to go. Need a miracle now.
ncbears
Well, AT with a 3 - Bruins make the 2 Ft - and with 21 seconds left, Cal is within 3 - so....
ncbears
Smith misses everything and with 9 seconds to go - this game may be gone. That failed block out on the missed free throw.....
ncbears
#18 no more.....
blungld
What is it with this team? For the past few seasons, great out of conference. Then lose first game and go into a tailspin. So many mental and effort errors tonight.

This is supposed to be THE YEAR. We will not be as strong the next couple years and we are still losing games we should have won and not reaching potential.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Bear8995
blungld said:

What is it with this team? For the past few seasons, great out of conference. Then lose first game and go into a tailspin. So many mental and effort errors tonight.

Coaching.
calbear80
Three loses in a row. Not good.

Next year, without KA (double double machine), we are not going to be competitive in Pac-12 unless we get an impact big who is ready to play immediately.

Go Bears!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.