Anigwe is a rebounding fool

2,783 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCALBear72
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As most of you know, she is the leading rebounder in the Pac 12 . And it is not close. She is now averaging 15 rebounds a game and the next closest is 9 plus a game. But did you know she leads the nation in rebounding per game. Next closest is Miss State big 6'7" center Teaira McGowan, at 13.3 a game. And Anigwe has down this against some tough Pac 12 opponents in UCLA and ASU. She has not had a rebounding game in single digits. So she has had a whole year of Double Double's.

For those of you who don't attend the games, she is a savage. (And I say this in a good way). She never takes a minute off. And she is also our best defensive player.

Lately, she has been guarding the opponents leading scorer very well, even though they may not be a center. At least until she has two fouls. And since they are letting them play this year, she has fouled out of only one game. Watch when she guards that player CJ comes in to guard the opposition's post. Our second best defensive player is Brown, who is playing better and better every game.

Anigwe has been scolid on her free throws. In the first game she shot 11 for 11. Then went into a projected slump ending with the Harvard game. But since she played the Harvard game she has rallied and shot pretty well going 36 for 47 which is around 76%.

So atop of my hat too her.
HoopDreams
Good to see someone recognize how crazy good she is

Her rebounding numbers are all universe
SFCALBear72
I was at the game today and it was fun to watch Kristine on the boards. She was relentless and not to be denied.

Bears also had a spark in their play. Maybe it was all those kids in the seats yelling "Defense"! Plenty of games left to play and they can still turnaround their season.
wvitbear
In the last 5 games we lost, we had the lead in the 4th quarter in four of them and if Asha had made that three against UConn, we would have been within three points. Suppose we won four of those games. Would we be a better team? Probably not, but we would be a whole lot happier.
annarborbear
Biggest ptoblem is that, unlike last year, the losses were to teams we were supposed to beat. ESPN bracketology has dropped us to a seven seed, which means we would likely have to play a two seed in the second round. Only solution will be to win the remaining games we are supposed to win, and hopefully, get a couple of upsets.
BearBint
We won't see the likes of K.A. again, or not for a long while.

Today BleacherBear and I were discussing the possibility of a summer post clinic for West and Styles, but perhaps they'll both play better when they're out of Anigwe's shadow.
wbbilluminati
Kristine's place on the records books after the WSU win:

Pac-12 Records:

8. Career Scoring Average (currently 19.9)
8. Career Rebounding Average (currently 10.0)
9. Career Field Goals Made (846 and counting)
11. Career Points (2,205 and counting)
17. Career Rebounds (1,111 and counting)

NCAA DI Records:

=9. Consecutive Double-Doubles Streak in Career (17 and counting)
=10. Consecutive Double-Doubles Streak in a Season (16 and counting)

There are a handful of lists (especially for the Pac-12) that Kristine is probably on, but there are just the ones I looked into.

wifeisafurd
wbbilluminati said:

Kristine's place on the records books after the WSU win:

Pac-12 Records:

8. Career Scoring Average (currently 19.9)
8. Career Rebounding Average (currently 10.0)
9. Career Field Goals Made (846 and counting)
11. Career Points (2,205 and counting)
17. Career Rebounds (1,111 and counting)

NCAA DI Records:

=9. Consecutive Double-Doubles Streak in Career (17 and counting)
=10. Consecutive Double-Doubles Streak in a Season (16 and counting)

There are a handful of lists (especially for the Pac-12) that Kristine is probably on, but there are just the ones I looked into.

She has to be a pick on Cal's All Time Team. My team would be: :

G: Gray Lawson
G: Claredon
G: Boyd
F: Walker
C: KA

I never saw Galloway play so I'm not in a position to judge.
wvitbear
What about Millica Vucondonivich(SP). First team All American and a great player.
wifeisafurd
wvitbear said:

What about Millica Vucondonivich(SP). First team All American and a great player.
Maybe I should just have a modern era all-Bear team, since I didn't see her play either.
wvitbear
That team had three players who played in the WNBA. One for quite a few years. Maybe someone can remember their names.
HoopDreams
Cal should retire her jersey in a few years
CalFanatic
Anigwe is one of the all time greats to ever wear a Cal jersey.

The fact that she has only won a single tournament game in 3 years? Still blows my mind.
wvitbear
Milica V's team had Trish Stafford, (WNBA), Heidi something or the other who didn't start for Cal but played in the WNBA, and another great forward whom I can't remember. They also had an athletic guard from Australia named Jackie Lord. Talent wise, was as good as it gets.
stu
Jackie Lear.
CalFanatic
We did briefly have a Jackie Lord on our team from Brea Olinda, back in the 2001-2002 season
wbbilluminati
CalFanatic said:

The fact that she has only won a single tournament game in 3 years? Still blows my mind.
And Cal has had 4 HEALTHY years of her.
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

CalFanatic said:

And Cal has had 4 HEALTHY years of her.

She missed the first round Tournament game against Virginia last season for an undisclosed reason. Had she played that would have been her second win (at least).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.