2019 Int'l Post Commit

6,271 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wbbilluminati
LegoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like we finally got a post player (that Moraga alluded to).

CalWSportsFan
Good news. Here's a highlight video:
annarborbear
Has some nice basketball skills. Limited elevation/jumping ability seems to be her major limitation at 6'1". But she will be a useful player.
CalFanatic
http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18bwomen/2018/player/Evelien-Lutje-Schipholt
CalFanatic
Excited to see her in uniform. Congratulations to all involved.

Are we still looking to "sign 2 to 3 posts" as originally mentioned- or is is it for the class? Still pretty... slim with just CJ and Evelien. Go Bears.
BearBint
annarborbear said:

Has some nice basketball skills. Limited elevation seems to be her major limitation at 6'1". But she will be a useful player.

Excellent news. And her size needn't be a limitation; Ashley turned 32 yesterday, and she's still averaging 8 rebounds and plenty of points for her team in Turkey (and got that invitation to the Sparks' training camp). She's claiming 6'2" these days. Mmm, well, maybe--in her shoes and with lifts:

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Turkey/Mersin-Buyuksehir-Belediye/7715?Women=1
annarborbear
Again, I like a lot of her skills. But at 6'1", she is shorter tha Alaysia Styles and about the same height as KC Waters. So it does look like we will need to get something out of Chen Yue next year. If OSU can turn Grmyk into a contributor, I would hope that we can still do the same with Chen.
stu
annarborbear said:

Again, I like a lot of her skills.

It looks like she can handle the ball and pass, she also seems to have good tenacity and a second (or third) jump on the boards.
Quote:

But at 6'1", she is shorter tha Alaysia Styles and about the same height as KC Waters.

On the plus side she looks neither too thin nor too wide, possibly more skilled than Alaysia and certainly more mobile than KC. BTW KC was closer to 5'11" than to 6'1".
CalWSportsFan
Also, kids grow. Not so much the case with women but it seems to me Anigwe added a bit of height since high school. Also, conditioning etc. can play a role in upside with regard to jumping, etc.
annarborbear
Focus her physical training on improving her vertical jump and her skills training on developing a mid range shot, and she could end up being a very good player.
Schroeder71
This young lady from the Netherlands looks athletic and good enough to step into the immediate rotation. CJ West doesn't jump 90% of the time so how can someone pick on this gal? She's nice looking, too, and NOT too skinny like some other players that I could name... I did not see many offensive moves or outside shots or jump shots from her. She seems to easily play w/in the flow of the game. She passes to her teammates. I'm happy with this recruit but Gottlieb still needs a 6-3 or 6-4 player rebounding center.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/maine-west-warriors-(des-plaines,il)/girls-basketball/roster.htm

Whoops-this recruit, Angela Dugalic, must be in the 2020 class if Max Preps is correct that she's a junior. Maine West HS is 32-0 and is ranked #2 in Illinois. I saw on another website that Cal has offered a 6-3 Serbian post but she has many offers including a couple of teams in the Pac 12. I didn't get too excited because I didn't feel that Gottlieb could land her over the competition. If Cal pulled off a miracle to get her I could possibly get excited about the Bears next season. I'll see if I can find her name. (see above & below)

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/angela-dugalic/0Y-V2qHdEeaAdqA2nzwY6g/videos.htm

GO BEARS!

CalWSportsFan
She's "nice looking?" Is that a reference to her skills or her looks? If the latter, give me a break...
BearBint
CalWSportsFan said:

Also, kids grow. Not so much the case with women but it seems to me Anigwe added a bit of height since high school.

Quite. I agree about K.A.'s looking maybe 1/2 an inch or so higher, and BearBloke swears that Jennie Leander grew 2 inches at Cal. Very tall females seem prone to do that, so go for 6-3, Evelien!
wvitbear
Am not a big fan of film as you don't know the competition. But one thing I think she has is good hands. Maybe the most important thing to a rebounder.
stu
CalWSportsFan said:

Also, kids grow.

Especially once they're listed on a Cal roster. If she's an honest 6'1" when she leaves Amsterdam then she'll be 6'3" when she arrives in Berkeley.

This FIBA page from last fall shows her height at 183cm which is 6'0". And in the video her limbs look long. But at whatever height her stats from the European tournament look good. I'm thrilled that she's coming to Cal!
IssyBear
Good rebounding and court presence, but I saw no "ready to play" offensive skills in this video. She basically played under the basket and even missed a few lay-ups. That style won't consistently work in the PAC-12 when you're only 6'-1". Hope she has more offensive moves, has (or can develop) an outside game, and can play defense against quicker players. She looks athletic and hustles, so she appears to have a good upside. It may take her some time before she can contribute.
annarborbear
If you scroll down on the page linked by CalFanatic, you can see full videos of some of Shipholt's FIBA games. I watched some of the Netherlands game against Turkey because Turkey features Seval Gul, one of Arizona's incoming international post recruits.

Gul is listed as 6'5, but doesn't look that much taller than Shipholt. However, Gul is mobile, active and a decent shooter. They were not always directly matched up, But Shipholt went by Gul once on a nice baseline move. However, then got a couple of shots blocked down low. Will have to watch more later. But off of this impression, Gul does look she will be ready for some PAC-12 post play minutes, and Shipholt more like a developmental player from what I have seen thus far.
stu
IssyBear said:

Hope she has more offensive moves, has (or can develop) an outside game

I noticed Evelien attempted no threes in 8 games at the European Tournament. Yes, something to develop. But I think plenty of American posts polish their offensive skills after reaching college.
R90
stu said:

IssyBear said:

Hope she has more offensive moves, has (or can develop) an outside game

I noticed Evelien attempted no threes in 8 games at the European Tournament. Yes, something to develop. But I think plenty of American posts polish their offensive skills after reaching college.
51% on FTs. She'll need to improve her shooting, and will be very important to us her sophomore year, after Brown, West and Yue graduate.

Cal can play a lot of 4 out, with CJ and Chen mostly rotating at the 5, and Forbes/Schipholt/Brown spending time in the 3/4/5 spots, depending on the matchup.

No shortage of candidates for playing time in the guard positions.
IssyBear
annarborbear said:

If you scroll down on the page linked by CalFanatic, you can see full videos of some of Shipholt's FIBA games. I watched some of the Netherlands game against Turkey because Turkey features Seval Gul, one of Arizona's incoming international post recruits.

Gul is listed as 6'5, but doesn't look that much taller than Shipholt. However, Gul is mobile, active and a decent shooter. They were not always directly matched up, But Shipholt went by Gul once on a nice baseline move. However, then got a couple of shots blocked down low. Will have to watch more later. But off of this impression, Gul does look she will be ready for some PAC-12 post play minutes, and Shipholt more like a developmental player from what I have seen thus far.
Thanks for the heads up on CalFanatic's link. Unfortunately, Shipholt's U-18 Euro Championship offensive stats were underwhelming. She was 38 for 84 on field goals (45%). Not great for a post player. Her 6'-1" height may have limited her effectiveness against Europe's best players. Her free throws - 21 out of 41 (51%) - were not good period. Still, once she gets here, I think she will (hopefully) get better coaching and be able to improve those numbers. I assume as her team's post player, she may have not been asked to expand her shooting range and moves.
GATC
IssyBear said:

annarborbear said:

Thanks for the heads up on CalFanatic's link. Unfortunately, Shipholt's U-18 Euro Championship offensive stats were underwhelming. She was 38 for 84 on field goals (45%). Not great for a post player. Her 6'-1" height may have limited her effectiveness against Europe's best players. Her free throws - 21 out of 41 (51%) - were not good period. Still, once she gets here, I think she will (hopefully) get better coaching and be able to improve those numbers. I assume as her team's post player, she may have not been asked to expand her shooting range and moves.
The good thing about most European players is that they are really good at FT shooting and fundamentals.
annarborbear
It was a rainy day, so I watched the rest of the Netherlands/Turkey game.

Schipholt took 11 shots. None were from outside of three feet. She never went outside at all to look for a shot. She made 5 and had 3 blocked. But she is a nice effort player who will put out on the defensive end, so may be useable that way next year.

Gul will definitely play minutes next year at Arizona. That is, if she shows up. You never know with young European players who have that readily available opportunity to play professionally while staying home. If she does show up, she has nice agility, toughness and a good shooting touch out to the free throw line. However, I noticed that she always goes to her right for her shots, so she will be overplayed that way until she learns how to go left.
annarborbear
GATC said:

IssyBear said:

annarborbear said:

The good thing about most European players is that they are really good at FT shooting and fundamentals.

I enjoyed watching a European U18 game today. Lots of good ball movement and ball handling, tremendous pounding under the boards, and plenty of good shooting forms. You are right that fundamentals must be emphasized over there at a young age.
wifeisafurd
annarborbear said:

Has some nice basketball skills. Limited elevation/jumping ability seems to be her major limitation at 6'1". But she will be a useful player.
Good evaluation. Not that athletic, but uses her body well, and has skills. Seems to have nice form from the line - wonder if she has a perimeter shot?
wifeisafurd
CalWSportsFan said:

She's "nice looking?" Is that a reference to her skills or her looks? If the latter, give me a break...
Dugalic is very athletic, with hops. Very good prospect.
annarborbear
wifeisafurd said:

annarborbear said:

Good evaluation. Not that athletic, but uses her body well, and has skills. Seems to have nice form from the line - wonder if she has a perimeter shot?
I am really hoping that Schipholt has been held back by conservative coaching in her case. Her team doesn't even use a pick and roll with their posts. Her European coach should be a lot more focused on developing some new skills in his players for the long-term instead of just settling for current skills. She seems athletic enough to develop some kind of a shot. Other players on the Netherlands team seemed able to take whatever shot they wanted.
CalWSportsFan
stu said:

CalWSportsFan said:

Also, kids grow.

Especially once they're listed on a Cal roster. If she's an honest 6'1" when she leaves Amsterdam then she'll be 6'3" when she arrives in Berkeley.

This FIBA page from last fall shows her height at 183cm which is 6'0". And in the video her limbs look long. But at whatever height her stats from the European tournament look good. I'm thrilled that she's coming to Cal!
Well...I wasn't talking about roster fudging. Maybe my eyes deceived me but Anigwe did seem to grow an inch or so...could be wrong. Just an observation. I don't scrutinize the rosters that closely.
stu
CalWSportsFan said:

Well...I wasn't talking about roster fudging. Maybe my eyes deceived me but Anigwe did seem to grow an inch or so...could be wrong. Just an observation. I don't scrutinize the rosters that closely.

I happen to be 6'1" (no shoes, no hair) so I can't resist noticing who I have to look up or down at from close range.
pearbear
Hard to tell things on video, but I'll play... she seems to release quickly on her shots, which will help her if she is undersized inside.
HoopDreams
hard to tell how good she will be in the pac12, but any front court player for next year is a plus

stu
HoopDreams said:

hard to tell how good she will be in the pac12, but any front court player for next year is a plus

I'm hoping she'll be a 4-year plus.
blungld
Watching her video she reminded me a lot of Penina D.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
stu
blungld said:

I see some similar moves around the basket. To me Evelien looks quicker, but Penina came in a little bigger and with an outside shot. Also I thought Penina improved enormously in her 4 years at Cal and I'm hoping to see the same from Evelien.
GATC
stu said:

blungld said:

I see some similar moves around the basket. To me Evelien looks quicker, but Penina came in a little bigger and with an outside shot. Also I thought Penina improved enormously in her 4 years at Cal and I'm hoping to see the same from Evelien.
Penina is bigger and she came in with a good outside shot (she put on an exhibiition with her 3 point shooting when she came in) and had good inside moves (remember the move she made to beat ASU for the game winner as a freshman when she had to come in because Gray fouled out). Her rebounding and strength improved but I think her shooting regressed.
stu
GATC said:

Penina ... Her rebounding and strength improved but I think her shooting regressed.

I could be wrong but I got the impression our coaches didn't want her to shoot threes. But I think her shooting near the basket did get better.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.