Bears vs Cougs Game Thread

5,053 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm hooked on the team. Go Bears!
GATC
KenBurnski said:

There must be 100 people in the stands. Senior night too.

After the first feed from Brown I think the next feeds to Anigwe has resulted in her turning the ball over. WSU getting better shots. The 3's bt Caldwell and Smith keeping it close.
pearbear
Cal playing well now, ready to shoot from outside. Up 21-10 after Forbes 3.
GATC
pearbear said:

We're a good team when we shoot 3's in rhythm. They said Anigwe was in the gym an hour and a half before the game practicing her shot with her left hand and it showed. Brown with a shot falling down with time expiring to get to 25. Caldwell got the team going again by shooting a 3 then a 2 the next possession. WSU has a back up post that had 2 1' foot shots and she missed by 2'.
pearbear
Anigwe with 10 points and 13 rebounds. It's her 30th consecutive double-double, a Pac-12 record (besting Jillian Alleyne's 29).

But now with 2 fouls and has to sit.
pearbear
GATC said:

pearbear said:

We're a good team when we shoot 3's in rhythm. They said Anigwe was in the gym an hour and a half before the game practicing her shot with her left hand and it showed. Brown with a shot falling down with time expiring to get to 25. Caldwell got the team going again by shooting a 3 then a 2 the next possession. WSU has a back up post that had 2 1' foot shots and she missed by 2'.

I agree. When we look at being aggressive with the three, to use it as a weapon instead of just as a last-resort option, we are a much better team.
pearbear
Bears up 42-30 at half.

Anigwe has been amazing with her effort. 17 points and 18 rebounds, with 9 on the offensive glass!

When Anigwe picked up her 2nd foul (offensive), you can see her getting a little frustrated. So it was good to see the coaches on the bench talking to her. And while she clearly still needed to vent, she was also calm and listening--this is part of her growth this year. So when she came back in, she was still aggressive but also really under control--arms straight up, no opportunity for fouls to be called on her.

Caldwell continues her offensive tear. She's become our 2nd option on offense. We have 4 3-point threats (Caldwell, Thomas, Smith, Forbes), and if two are on, we're in most games. Three on and we can upset top teams.

GO BEARS!
GATC
pearbear said:

Anigwe with 10 points and 13 rebounds. It's her 30th consecutive double-double, a Pac-12 record (besting Jillian Alleyne's 29).

But now with 2 fouls and has to sit.

She didn't like the foul but she lowered her shoulder and pushed her player away from the basket. They showed the replay. Chen got one rebound and took one wild shot but otherwise held court. WSU cut the lead from 12 to 6 and Caldwell hit a 3 to stop their momentum. She seems to be involved in all our scoring runs. Now back up by 12 at the half.

What is impressive about Anigwe is that she is playing so hard. A lot of the rebounds she got were because she out hustled two of three players. I watched the ASU game yesterday to see how we dug out of the early deficit. It was Caldwell shooting and her driving and kicking it out to Thomas. I was also curious how we held Ibis to something like 1-12 shooting. She was guarded by Brown and Anigwe all night. Brown did a good job but Anigwe did a great job. She was tenacious.
calbear80
KenBurnski said:

That makes it two of us.

Go Bears!
calbear80
Is the game on TV anywhere? How can I watch it? Any link?
blungld
There are some plays that Kristine makes that simply astound me and make me burst into applause even watching on TV at home. She is incredible. My favorite woman's player ever. I love how she has harnessed her pout from last year. When she shoots, she is immediately going for the rebound. Doesn't watch the shot at all. What effort and energy!

These are the best away game announcers I have heard. Very fair and complimentary. Not crazy homers.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
calbear80
KA just picked up her third foul. Let's hope we can keep the scoring going.
calbear80
TV? Streaming? Anyone?
calbear80
KA has 25 rebounds.

WSU (the whole team) has 15 rebounds.

Go KA, Go Cal!
UrsusTexicanus
calbear80 said:

TV? Streaming? Anyone?
Try: http://oklivetv.com/pac-12-bay-area-live/
pearbear
calbear80 said:

TV? Streaming? Anyone?

Watching it here:

https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2019/03/03/california-washington-state
pearbear
calbear80 said:

KA has 25 rebounds.

WSU (the whole team) has 15 rebounds.

Go KA, Go Cal!

25 ties her career high.
pearbear
Anigwe has 27 rebounds--Cal single game record.

Smith shot a three and Anigwe was all alone under the basket waiting for the rebound. The shot went in, and Anigwe was all "damn, that's my rebound! I mean, great shot!" I'm totally making this up, of course. LOL. But that's probably her mindset right now!
pearbear
Swedlund hit a three and now Cal lead is down to 62-52, with 7:42 to go.

GATC
pearbear said:

They just won't go away.
pearbear
Anigwe ties Pac-12 record with 30 rebounds!
GATC
GATC said:

pearbear said:

They just won't go away.

We just scored 8 straight so game is safe. Good to see Mosley and Forbes in there.
calbear80
I have called KA Ms. 20/20.

I was wrong.

KA is Ms. 30/30!!

Amazing!

blungld
I am at a loss for words for KA. That was one of the greatest performances I have witnessed by a Cal athlete. So glad to see her and the team close the season strong!

stu
Last night I had a dream about Kristine getting 30 points and 30 rebounds. Really. What's almost as amazing is the entire WSU team got only 22 rebounds. And almost as amazing as that is Jaelyn managed to get 7 rebounds herself with Kristine in the vicinity. What a way to close out the season! I wasn't there but it would have been classy for the WSU crowd to applaud Kristine's performance on senior day.
blungld
stu said:

Last night I had a dream about Kristine getting 30 points and 30 rebounds...

You have interesting dreams!

stu
blungld said:

stu said:

Counting rebounds beats counting sheep.
pearbear
stu said:

blungld said:

stu said:

Counting rebounds beats counting sheep.

Yes. But how does counting rebounds put you to sleep? Especially some of those rebounds she got today--they got me HYPED!
pearbear
blungld said:

stu said:

Also, PM me if perchance you ever dream about the lottery!
BearBint
pearbear said:

calbear80 said:

TV? Streaming? Anyone?

Watching it here:

https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2019/03/03/california-washington-state
Maybe a similar URL should be pinned to the top of the WBB forum home screen:

https://pac-12.com/live
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
stu
Actually Kristine is now in the 30-30-30 club as today's performance was her 30th consecutive double-double.
pearbear
stu said:

Actually Kristine is now in the 30-30-30 club as today's performance was her 30th consecutive double-double.

Hmm. Stats now read Anigwe with 32 points. It was 30 when game ended. Did I miss something?

Just hope they don't take any rebounds away from her!
Bobodeluxe
Is this a legal link?

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26130031/cal-f-c-angiwe-30-30-game-first-17-years
HoopDreams
https://twitter.com/Pac12Network/status/1102332474166697985?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1102332474166697985&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2Fwomens-college-basketball%2Fstory%2F_%2Fid%2F26130031%2Fcal-f-c-angiwe-30-30-game-first-17-years
wvitbear
Last year Anigwe averaged 8.8 rebounds a game so in one year she double led that total. That is astounding. And we were 11 and 7 last year in the Pac 12. Do you think we are better or worse this year. I think the league is tougher so you could have a worse record and be better. I think we are better offensively.

Can you imagine Anigwe's rebounding total if we were a better defensive team since she gets more defensive rebounds that offensive rebounds.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.