Bears vs Cougs Game Thread

5,081 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
blungld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Already the nation's leading rebounder, Anigwe is now the second player in Division I history to record 30 consecutive double-doubles, joining Oklahoma's Courtney Paris."

It's interesting to note that Courtney's dad went to Cal and that she almost came here too. We might have had the two greatest rebounders in WBB history.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
wvitbear
Courtney 's dad was a pro football tackle who went to Michigan. Her brother went to Cal but was not a great ball player.
R90
blungld said:

"Already the nation's leading rebounder, Anigwe is now the second player in Division I history to record 30 consecutive double-doubles, joining Oklahoma's Courtney Paris."

It's interesting to note that Courtney's dad went to Cal and that she almost came here too. We might have had the two greatest rebounders in WBB history.
Bubba Paris went to Michigan (not Cal) and played most of his career for the 49ers. He and his first wife, Lynne, had 6 children, 4 boys and twin daughters, Courtney and Ashley (who both still play in the WNBA). The girls lived with their mother and played for Piedmont High before choosing Oklahoma over Cal, UCLA, UConn, Texas and Syracuse. Bubba had 2 more children with his second wife, Cynthia, and he now lives in Tracy, CA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubba_Paris

Courtney Paris holds the NCAA record for rebounds in a season at 539.
Kristine Anigwe has 476 after today's game.
Needing 63 more to tie, she might get the record if we play two Pac-12 tournament games and two NCAA tournament games.
Anigwe averaged 18.06 rpg. in conference play.

OK.. back to retirement.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
IssyBear
pearbear said:

stu said:

Actually Kristine is now in the 30-30-30 club as today's performance was her 30th consecutive double-double.

Hmm. Stats now read Anigwe with 32 points. It was 30 when game ended. Did I miss something?

Just hope they don't take any rebounds away from her!
I actually thought they did take one away from her. She came down with a rebound and got immediately tied up. I thought she should have been credited with a rebound (#31), but they didn't give it to her.
BearBint
"Courtney Paris holds the NCAA record for rebounds in a season at 539.
Needing 63 more to tie, she might get the record if we play two Pac-12 tournament games and two NCAA tournament games.
Anigwe averaged 18.06 rpg. in conference play."

I really enjoy that idea--something to dream about (kind of like Stu's dream of the 30-30 game). Well, she's an ambitious person, our K.A., and obviously sets goals for herself. She just might do it.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
HoopDreams
BearBint said:

"Courtney Paris holds the NCAA record for rebounds in a season at 539.
Anigwe averaged 18.06 rpg. in conference play."

I really enjoy that idea--something to dream about (kind of like Stu's dream of the 30-30 game). Well, she's an ambitious person, our K.A., and obviously sets goals for herself. She just might do it.

well I think the first game in the pac tourney is vs WSU, so she might get half those rebounds in the next game!

wvitbear
The Paris twins started out at Modesto Christian. I didn't see them till they got to Piedmont. Where I believe they won back to back state championships.
annarborbear
Kristine has made this huge leap forward this season. Seems to be a combination of skills improvement, physical conditioning, a whole different mental temperament and motor, and having better outside shooting and ball movement to take some pressure off of her. Would love to get a back story on how this transformation came about over this past off season.
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

Kristine has made this huge leap forward this season. Seems to be a combination of skills improvement, physical conditioning, a whole different mental temperament and motor, and having better outside shooting and ball movement to take some pressure off of her. Would love to get a back story on how this transformation came about over this past off season.

during the post game senior ceremony, coach G said an interesting thing about Kristine. f

she described KA as a person who was determined to be the BEST. To be GREAT. I don't know those were the exact words coach used, but it was that gist. But the thing that really hit that point home, was she said something like ...

"... oh my, I'm coaching Kobe"

GATC
annarborbear said:

Seemed like there was a back story either here or maybe in one of Pearbear's report. I thought it was something like a friend (that played MBB?) challenged her to be better and reach her full potential. It worked.
GATC
GATC said:

annarborbear said:

Seemed like there was a back story either here or maybe in one of Pearbear's report. I thought it was something like a friend (that played MBB?) challenged her (in the off season) to be better and reach her full potential. It worked.
annarborbear
GATC said:

GATC said:

annarborbear said:

Seemed like there was a back story either here or maybe in one of Pearbear's report. I thought it was something like a friend (that played MBB?) challenged her (in the off season) to be better and reach her full potential. It worked.

Hire that friend as an assistant coach.
blungld
R90 said:

blungld said:

Bubba Paris went to Michigan (not Cal) and played most of his career for the 49ers. He and his first wife, Lynne, had 6 children, 4 boys and twin daughters, Courtney and Ashley (who both still play in the WNBA). The girls lived with their mother and played for Piedmont High before choosing Oklahoma over Cal, UCLA, UConn, Texas and Syracuse. Bubba had 2 more children with his second wife, Cynthia, and he now lives in Tracy, CA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubba_Paris

Courtney Paris holds the NCAA record for rebounds in a season at 539.
Anigwe averaged 18.06 rpg. in conference play.

OK.. back to retirement.
Of course you are right. I needed to slow down and think for a second. I meant son David played for Cal. I remember Courtney not choosing Cal as the first Sabrina-level disappointment of a local recruit.

Are you really retired? Everyone loves your posts, and your positivity is awesome. Some critical posts doesn't mean that you aren't appreciated and the team isn'y being cheered for and being supported. There are very few posts on WBB that cross the line into irrational negativity as far as I can see...and unlike MBB or Football.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
HoopDreams
HoopDreams said:

annarborbear said:

during the post game senior ceremony, coach G said an interesting thing about Kristine. f

she described KA as a person who was determined to be the BEST. To be GREAT. I don't know those were the exact words coach used, but it was that gist. But the thing that really hit that point home, was she said something like ...

"... oh my, I'm coaching Kobe"

he is coach g's real quote:

Kristine is the most driven athlete I've ever been around. When she first arrived, I saw this obsession with being the best. Really, it was the only thing she talked about. It truly challenged me, because I'd never heard a female athlete speak the way she did. I thought, 'I'm coaching Kobe. What do I do with that?!?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.