Question - home court for Baylor

2,054 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by R90
Larno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great victory for Cal today. I do have question, though, in regards to the next game. Is it common to have the number 1 seed host the first round, particularly, or maybe even any round? Isn't that really stacking the deck against the other teams. Does this go on every year? Cal would be underdogs against Baylor wherever they played but at home........
wvitbear
The top 16 seeds all get home court advantage. One of the reasons you don't see a women's pool at work. Not enough upsets. The deck is stacked against the underdog.
R90
Of course it's all about money, rather than fairness, at the NCAA.
Home teams will sell far more tickets.
Reduced travel distances also play a factor, thus our third time playing at Baylor in 6 years.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
fredbear
I'm a BU fan. But it is all about $ and getting rears in the seats. Bu had nearly 7,000 at their game which would have never happened at a neutral site. I will say BU has been beaten at home in the second game before. Best thing for Cal to do is rise high enough to be a host team and control your own destiny. That opportunity is available equally to every team.
ncbears
fredbear said:

I'm a BU fan. But it is all about $ and getting rears in the seats. Bu had nearly 7,000 at their game which would have never happened at a neutral site. I will say BU has been beaten at home in the second game before. Best thing for Cal to do is rise high enough to be a host team and control your own destiny. That opportunity is available equally to every team.
Well, when the season began, it was our hope that Cal would succeed well enough to host a first and second round. Alas, it did not happen. Cal is where it is.
R90
fredbear said:

Best thing for Cal to do is rise high enough to be a host team and control your own destiny. That opportunity is available equally to every team.
In 2013 Cal was a 2 seed, but had to play in Lubbock, Texas because Stanford was a 1 seed and the NCAA didn't want two subregionals so close to each other.

Luckily for us, South Florida beat the #7 seeded host, Texas Tech, so Cal had a neutral site for the second round rather than a road game.

If the rule is still the same we'd have been screwed again, because Stanford is hosting again.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.