5 star #3 Dalayah Daniels commits to Cal

8,848 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ashfield63
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
What a run!

bobbk
Congrats
bearwbbfan
Not in my biggest dream did I ever think Charmin would get it done like this in Year 1. Ridiculous. Insanity. Amazing. Exactly the class we needed to get back up to the top! Wonder how many coaches have had an inaugural class of this caliber.
kc1121
Wow what a week. Is that going to be it MB or any other surprises? A guard?
HoopDreams
are you kidding me???!!???

three FIVE STAR posts in one week???
annarborbear
Wow, Not just great, historic. Now some good guards are going to want to play with those three. And let's hope we can finally get some shooters.
MoragaBear
Staff
kc1121 said:

1-2 more, including at least one guard,just probably not this week
BearBint
My, my, my. It may be dry in California, but we have a real rainmaker at Haas. Congrats and thanks, Coach.
kc1121
Thanks MB. I hope it's Van Lith (dreaming) or a top guard that decommits from another school
mbBear
annarborbear said:

Wow, Not just great, historic. Now some good guards are going to want to play with those three. And let's hope we can finally get some shooters.

Can't be accurate. Didn't one of the so-called experts here explain a bit ago that top recruits had no reason to go to Cal???
annarborbear
mbBear said:

annarborbear said:

Can't be accurate. Didn't one of the so-called experts here explain a bit ago that top recruits had no reason to go to Cal???
No expert here. But it you are talking about me, I have been saying it is a really long road back, especially when your two best returning players decide to transfer out and you are picked for 11th, and would take some great personal selling by Charmin to turn it around. Obviously, she can really do that, way beyond expectations.

In many ways, Charmin does have a great story to tell. At present, 59% of college women's basketball coaches are female, but only 11% are black. Charmin has a great academic background herself, has played professionally, and has made it to a Final Four as a coach and as a player. She can also point to players like Layshia and Talia who were terrific students while also playing at a high level at Cal, with Talia making it through the Haas School of Business. If this can now also be translated to improved coaching on the floor, it can be the beginning of a terrific era.
calbear80
Wow! Great Bews!

Go Bears!
CalFanatic
THREE 5 star posts in one week? There are no words.... but um, GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/garfields-five-star-forward-dalayah-daniels-commits-to-california/

'Daniels had UCLA, Stanford, Duke, Oregon State and Princeton also on her shortlist."
stu
MoragaBear said:

Excellent! Our 2020 recruiting has already exceeded my wildest dreams. I'm not usually wild about large classes but with just 6 players returning in 2020 we'll be able to play a lot of new people. Also the position balance is looking pretty good, though I'd like to see a wing or big guard who can play both inside and outside.
wbbilluminati
WOW.

Daniels is not the highest ranked recruit to commit to Cal WBB, but in terms of the other programs that wanted her and pursued her, this is one of the the biggest coups for Cal WBB.

Just wow.
wbbilluminati
MoragaBear said:

kc1121 said:

Curious who the guard might be that Cal is in the mix for. Not aware of any uncommitted guards that have Cal in the mix still....guessing it could be an international recruit?

Ashfield63
Remember Naje Murray, St. Mary Stockton, transferred to Cal last April from San Diego State. She has to sit this year out, but will join the 2020 class ....She is at terrific true PG, who makes 3-pointers and steals the ball.
You can read all about her accomplishments playing for SDS two seasons! WOW, Charmin and April, Holy Smokes, what great news.... Congratulations to the CAL WBB staff!!! It too bad tomorrow Open Practice and festivities had to be cancelled. I want to give this years team all of my support.....
Schroeder71
Charmin Smith and Co may be the first women's sport's team to have recruited three 5 star recruits in a single recruit class. Maybe the swimming team has come close under McKeever when they landed 4 of the top 5 recruits in the country four years ago...

This trio of three "bigs" (HoopGurlz #14, #34 & #53) playing together at Cal is reminiscent of Brandon, Gray & Caldwell. The Bears won games with rebounding and dominance inside. I'm unbelievably excited with the potential that Cal will have but Stanford & probably Oregon will be super formidable challengers, too. With this tall & athletic group coming to Berkeley, Charmin may be able to bring back a defensive mentality at Cal. PG Naje Murray and the 5-10 shooting guard, Jazlin Green, could potentially help form a tough defensive starting five.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2020

Unbelievable news-football coach Justin Wilcox needs to talk to Charmin about how to recruit 5 star talent. He has landed a couple of four star players in three years. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
1 Cailyn Crocker, MiCole Cayton, Leilani McIntosh
2 Naje Murray, Jazlen Green
3 Dalayah Daniels, Archer Olson, Sierra Richey
4 Alaysia Styles, Ugonne Onyiah, Evelein Shipholt
5 Fatou Samb

That is a... suddenly very strong looking roster next year.
OBear073akaSMFan
Wow fantastic. Who was the silent verbal that you referred to in an earlier post?
MoragaBear
Staff
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Wow fantastic. Who was the silent verbal that you referred to in an earlier post?

Michelle
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

Charmin Smith and Co may be the first women's sport's team to have recruited three 5 star recruits in a single recruit class. Maybe the swimming team has come close under McKeever when they landed 4 of the top 5 recruits in the country four years ago...

This trio of three "bigs" (HoopGurlz #14, #34 & #53) playing together at Cal is reminiscent of Brandon, Gray & Caldwell. The Bears won games with rebounding and dominance inside. I'm unbelievably excited with the potential that Cal will have
I thought of those three too
Bears heading up!
HoopDreams

annarborbear
Here is some rarified company: At this point, 42 of the ESPN Top 60 have made verbal commitments. Only three schools have three or more of those players committed - Oregon, Notre Dame and Cal.
pearbear
Staff
MoragaBear said:

What a run!

This is just terrific! I am really happy for the program and for Charmin!
annarborbear
Might also have to raise April's salary. I will make a donation.
GOLDEN
GOLDEN
How sweet, Daniels was pursued hard by Coach Rueck at Oregon State. I don't know what is happening up there at OSU but he has only one decent signing for next years class.
ClayK
Huge get ... great job by Charmin and company.
mbBear
annarborbear said:

mbBear said:

annarborbear said:

No expert here. But it you are talking about me, I have been saying it is a really long road back, especially when your two best returning players decide to transfer out and you are picked for 11th, and would take some great personal selling by Charmin to turn it around. Obviously, she can really do that, way beyond expectations.

In many ways, Charmin does have a great story to tell. At present, 59% of college women's basketball coaches are female, but only 11% are black. Charmin has a great academic background herself, has played professionally, and has made it to a Final Four as a coach and as a player. She can also point to players like Layshia and Talia who were terrific students while also playing at a high level at Cal, with Talia making it through the Haas School of Business. If this can now also be translated to improved coaching on the floor, it can be the beginning of a terrific era.
No, definitely wasn't aimed at you in anyway...I was just adding to the thread. And this post is terrific.
But there were posts that said with a great amount of certainty that Cal could not attract top players.
BearBint
"But there were posts that said with a great amount of certainty that Cal could not attract top players."

Mmm. And that if Charmin were that great a coach, our defense would be better. Well, Charmin's been my favorite Cal coach for the last decade, and I believe she'll be a success as H.C.
bearwbbfan
GOLDEN said:

How sweet, Daniels was pursued hard by Coach Rueck at Oregon State. I don't know what is happening up there at OSU but he has only one decent signing for next years class.
Daniels would likely be spending some time on the bench at OSU because they have recruited many posts/forwards in the past few years, plus it looked like she was looking for a higher level of education that OSU offered.

They missed out on 2-3 PGs, and their class stands at two players, both G/W.

Regardless, we really needed some posts/forwards to keep up with Stanford, Oregon, and Oregon State, and Charmin struck gold.
ncbears
annarborbear said:

Might also have to raise April's salary. I will make a donation.
Coach AP does seem to have made a difference in recruiting. Any ideas about what that difference is exactly - other than results. Is there a different strategy or different sales pitch?
HoopDreams
We need to start the new era right

Fans need to get out and support the team THIS year

Come to some games, bring someone new, get on the train early

And if you can't make the game, make a donation

Cal accepts donations of tickets and they will find some group to give them to. Ten ticket pack is only $30

I have a contact if you PM me
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.