5 star #3 Dalayah Daniels commits to Cal

8,907 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ashfield63
Ashfield63
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My son works at a Charter School in Oakland. I gave him the phone number of my contact at Haas ticket office as they are interested in taking students to a game or two. He was pleased with the information he was given, especially about the yearly game played during the school day. The tickets are $2 each and they may purchase a lunch for $5. The festivities usually start around 11am. I think it is called something like the Haas School of Rock, and is well attended by a raucous crowd of school children. I have purchased my Senior Season Pass, what a deal! I am planning on going to Stanford tomorrow and The pen Practice next Sat. at Haas. Let the fun begin!
wvitbear
Michele apparently has family that went to Cal. So a crack there to insert yourself.
CalFanatic
Daniels gives me major Courtney Range vibes in this highlight reel... but better.

UrsineMaximus
Instinct that can't be coached, permeates this tape.

Curiously, instinct can be ruined by coaching.

At every level, few have instinct and athletic ability. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
blungld
CalFanatic said:

Daniels gives me major Courtney Range vibes in this highlight reel... but better.

Great movement off the screens/picks. High BBall IQ!
Gkhoury2325
This young lady, Ms. Daniels appears to have tremendous skills. She can play the pick-and-roll very well. She can score or pass off of it. She has a very nice handle going right or left. She looks to shoot the ball fairly well. I agree she has great instincts-plus coupled with the intelligence on the court that makes everyone better. She will be big-time as a freshman. Dare I say, she can have the impact of a Jason Kidd, for the girls program. Her high-low game, should be a big part of the offense in the next couple of years.

Great highlight film. Go Bears!
OBear073akaSMFan
Thanks! Are you aware of any guards / small forwards in the pipeline? Yes I'm greedily happy with what we have gotten so far.
annarborbear
Everything to like in the highlight video. Only thing to change is that jackknife outside shooting form left over from when she was a smaller kid. The release is terrific.So hope that a more upright jump shot will be a goal for her senior high school year. Then watch out when she gets college-level strength and conditioning. Her father was a college player at Central Washington who seems well-remembered in that area. You can certainly see his early work with her in what she is now capable of.
MoragaBear
Staff
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Thanks! Are you aware of any guards / small forwards in the pipeline? Yes I'm greedily happy with what we have gotten so far.

Yes, at least one guard in this class, too.
wvitbear
My only concern with the video is that the opposition looks like they are running in mud.
Wookids
Video from May 2017, so not during basketball season, thus likely AAU ball. Anyway, defense wasn't the name of the game. But showed she's comfortable handling the ball and has some skills.
MoragaBear
Staff
These girls play at the highest level of AAU ball. You don't get to be a 5 star Top 20 player playing against scrub competition.
UrsineMaximus
Wookids said:

Video from May 2017, so not during basketball season, thus likely AAU ball. Anyway, defense wasn't the name of the game. But showed she's comfortable handling the ball and has some skills.
Agree and her movement without ball in hand is really what sets her apart. I don't much care what you do with ball in hand (a lot of players can do that), what you do without ball in hand makes you a player.
bearwbbfan
Cameron Brink was a defender in a few of the clips. That is a relatively old highlight tape -- it was posted May 19, 2017.

Some of Daniels' EYBL Stats:
- Boo Williams: https://basketball.exposureevents.com/109921/tree-of-hope/documents/playerstatistics?playerid=813486&output=pdf
- Indy: https://basketball.exposureevents.com/129729/event/documents/playerstatistics?playerid=936137&output=pdf
- Nike Nationals: https://basketball.exposureevents.com/132098/event/documents/playerstatistics?playerid=942603&output=pdf

These are full game highlights (not just DD), but very recent:
ClayK
A note on recruiting: We have a pretty good field at the West Coast Jamboree this year, but we always have some top teams. I usually get a couple emails from college coaches about the tournament ...

This year, I pick up the phone one day and it's April Phillips, wanting to know who's in the tournament. That's someone who's working hard ... and in general, women's college basketball coaches do not work nearly as hard as men's coaches. This tells me where this program is going, as the number of calls I've gotten from Pac-12 coaches over the years is, I'm pretty sure, zero. Maybe one or two, but it appears to be a new day in Berkeley, at least.

annarborbear
bearwbbfan said:

Cameron Brink was a defender in a few of the clips. That is a relatively old highlight tape -- it was posted May 19, 2017.

Some of Daniels' EYBL Stats:
- Boo Williams: https://basketball.exposureevents.com/109921/tree-of-hope/documents/playerstatistics?playerid=813486&output=pdf
- Indy: https://basketball.exposureevents.com/129729/event/documents/playerstatistics?playerid=936137&output=pdf
- Nike Nationals: https://basketball.exposureevents.com/132098/event/documents/playerstatistics?playerid=942603&output=pdf

These are full game highlights (not just DD), but very recent:
The free throw percentages indicate one weakness. Would like to see a video of a couple of those to see what the problem is.
annarborbear
Liked #32, Megan Fiso, a guard for West Seattle, in the video. Found out that she is committed to Michigan.
mbBear
ClayK said:

A note on recruiting: We have a pretty good field at the West Coast Jamboree this year, but we always have some top teams. I usually get a couple emails from college coaches about the tournament ...

This year, I pick up the phone one day and it's April Phillips, wanting to know who's in the tournament. That's someone who's working hard ... and in general, women's college basketball coaches do not work nearly as hard as men's coaches. This tells me where this program is going, as the number of calls I've gotten from Pac-12 coaches over the years is, I'm pretty sure, zero. Maybe one or two, but it appears to be a new day in Berkeley, at least.

Oh, so just maybe some good players might be willing to go to Cal???
ClayK
Something has made a difference at Cal. Charmin's been there a long time, and there have been few years with this kind of recruiting.

I still think Cal is a tough sell, but clearly it's not an impossible sell, especially if the staff can take advantage of the situation (opportunity for freshmen, etc.). In the past, it hasn't seemed the advantages have been exploited much, at least in terms of elite players, but it looks like things are changing.

philbert
I think Charmin replacing Lindsay is probably the biggest thing. I doubt we see these last 3 commits if Lindsay is still here.

Credit to the new asst coach AP, as well.
polarbear
Awesome news re: these new recruits! We have needed something positive for a while now especially after that Utah FB game! Looking forward to seeing them play!
Ashfield63
I agree, if there had not been a coaching change, we would not have such great news about the Class of 2020! Charmin and April are doing it. I went to Stanford last Sunday to watch the Bears play. It was a good game for Chen. I really enjoyed seeing the freshman play with such enthusiasm.This weekend will be fun with Open Practice on Sat. and the 2nd exhibition game on Sunday. The Bears will need our support this season. GO BEARS!!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.