Harvard opener preview...(boxscore)

1,675 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Schroeder71
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wbkb/2019-20/boxscores/20191105_3nqi.xml?view=boxscore

I was optimistic about a potential Cal upset after realizing that half of Harvard's players that upset us in Berkeley last season were no longer on the team. The Crimson killed the Bears with 13 three balls. Guess what-a dozen of those treys do not return. Harvard returns three good players in C Jeannie Boehm (6-3), F Rachel Levy (6-2) & wing Jadyn Bush. This trio accounted for 14, 10 & 6 points, respectively, last year.

Then I decided to review their opening game victory on the road at Northern Illinois, 69-63, on Tuesday night.
Jadyn Bush DNP. Harvard played nine players with seven of them being guards. The only two bigs that saw the floor were Boehm & Levy. Levy only booked 7 minutes.

Two new guards, 5-11 freshman SG Lola Mullaney and 5-10 soph PG Maggie McCarthy, played 34 & 37 minutes, respectively. Mullaney went off for 25 points (including six treys) to spark the offense. Jeannie Boehm complemented her performance with 16 points and 14 rebounds. The remaining seven participants performed their roles in the win. The plethora of guards did not prevent the Crimson from commiting 19 turnovers. They also registered 19 personal fouls. Harvard solidly outrebounded Northern Illinois [54-46] but I have a feeling that Cal might not acquiesce on the boards similarly.

bottomline: only two Crimson members shot the ball well: Mullaney outside 8-18 (44%) & Boehm inside 8-15 (53%). The team FG% was 34.4%, 3 PT% was 25% & their FT% was 39.1% (9-23). If Cal can play decently, they have a chance to be competitive against THIS team (I think)? What say the rest of you...G0 BEARS!
calbear80
Thanks S71 for the Harvard preview. I have always thought a Pac-12 coach that cannot beat a non-scholarship school should not be coaching in Pac-12 (from last year, both LG and The Guy Mike Williams Hired As MBB "coach" are gone for a good reason).

Good Bears, Beat Harvard!

P.S. Even though I went there for awhile, there is absolutely no divided loyalty for me, GO BEARS!
ncbears
calbear80 - Tara Vanderveer's #1 seed lost to #16 Harvard in the NCAA tournament at Maples. That was the only #1 seed to lose to a 16 until Virginia men duplicated the feat. (There were some extenuating circumstances for her team due to injury - but it happened)
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wbkb/2019-20/boxscores/20191105_3nqi.xml?view=boxscore

I was optimistic about a potential Cal upset after realizing that half of Harvard's players that upset us in Berkeley last season were no longer on the team. The Crimson killed the Bears with 13 three balls. Guess what-a dozen of those treys do not return. Harvard returns three good players in C Jeannie Boehm (6-3), F Rachel Levy (6-2) & wing Jadyn Bush. This trio accounted for 14, 10 & 6 points, respectively, last year.

Then I decided to review their opening game victory on the road at Northern Illinois, 69-63, on Tuesday night.
Jadyn Bush DNP. Harvard played nine players with seven of them being guards. The only two bigs that saw the floor were Boehm & Levy. Levy only booked 7 minutes.

Two new guards, 5-11 freshman SG Lola Mullaney and 5-10 soph PG Maggie McCarthy, played 34 & 37 minutes, respectively. Mullaney went off for 25 points (including six treys) to spark the offense. Jeannie Boehm complemented her performance with 16 points and 14 rebounds. The remaining seven participants performed their roles in the win. The plethora of guards did not prevent the Crimson from commiting 19 turnovers. They also registered 19 personal fouls. Harvard solidly outrebounded Northern Illinois [54-46] but I have a feeling that Cal might not acquiesce on the boards similarly.

bottomline: only two Crimson members shot the ball well: Mullaney outside 8-18 (44%) & Boehm inside 8-15 (53%). The team FG% was 34.4%, 3 PT% was 25% & their FT% was 39.1% (9-23). If Cal can play decently, they have a chance to be competitive against THIS team (I think)? What say the rest of you...G0 BEARS!
As the box score you attached indicates, the final score was 59-53.

Only a chance to be competitive? The exhibition results didn't convince you that we should beat this team?
wbbilluminati
Katie Benz i think is her name. Harvard's star guard past couple seasons decided not to play for Harvard this year and will play her final year of eligibility at Texas next season i believe. Benz was a top 60 or top 100 ranked prospect in HS.
wvitbear
The problem with the exhibition games were that the teams were short. We massacred them on the boards. Will we be able to do that against a taller team. Have to wait and see, although Harvard is not too tall themselves. Harvard was sad to see Benz go.
Schroeder71
Schroeder71
Katie Benzan & Madeline Raster combined for 9 threes in Berkeley. Sorry that I misstated the score (59-53). Cal should win if Harvard again scores in the fifties...GO BEARS!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.