UC Riverside Comparative Game

4,285 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CalWSportsFan
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Second half: UCR shot 8-35 (14.3%) and 2-7 from three. They were 7-10 from the free throw line.
Cal shot `15-30 which to me is 50% but live stats says 53.8? - 4-10 on 3s which to me is 40% but LiveStats says 33.3?

Cal was 14-15 on free throws in the second half? I must be hallucinating....

Oh, and remember the sturm and drang about SA's first game? Tonite she was 7-9 and 3-4 from deep for 17 points. She had no free throws.
ncbears
calbear80 said:

I'll wait for S71's analysis, but, I think we should beat UCR by 20 and give a lot of playing opportunities to all the players on our roster.

Go Bears!
We have a winner!
OBear073akaSMFan
Thank for your updates. What was the attendance for the game? Couldn't make the game
ncbears
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Thank for your updates. What was the attendance for the game? Couldn't make the game
I don't know the attendance. I'm watching from miles and miles and miles away on the computer.
I'm wondering if there was a discount for people who went to the volleyball game first.
annarborbear
Charmin: "Turnovers unacceptable".

Now I really think that we are going to see a turnaround over the next three years.
Finnish Oski
Just back from the game. On the downside there were too many needless fouls, some poor shot selection and erratic passing. In most cases one can write this off as being products of inexperience. Anyway the positives outweigh the negatives. -- substantially. Charmin has her team playing much better defense than I've seen the women play in years. The ball movement is also much improved and the team actually seems to have some ideas on offense. Tonight the Bears were hitting their threes (which will be a must against better competition) and were near perfect at the free throw line. I also appreciate that Charmin played everyone and only the two walk-ons (Richey and Olson) came in when the game was decided.
I'm very enthusiastic about what Charmin is doing and hope fans don't wait until next year when the great freshman class comes in, to come out and support the team. Go Bears!
stu
OBear073akaSMFan said:

What was the attendance for the game?
I haven't seen an official total but me eyeball estimate is under a thousand.

I thought Lelani looked great. Her stats show 6 for 12 shooting plus 5 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals. When she and CJ were on the floor together we really got going.

At one point we had all 4 freshies on the floor together. They played hard, though Evelien and Jazelyn each got 4 fouls. It might take Jazelyn a few games to get back in a groove - she drove well but shot several airballs from deep.

The stats say we had 13 turnovers, which is better than usual for Cal, but Charmin was right in that most of them were really ugly. I also think we gave up too many offensive rebounds.

Jaelyn and Alaysia took a while to get going but looked like themselves in the second half. Sara can score.

ncbears
stu said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

What was the attendance for the game?
I haven't seen an official total but me eyeball estimate is under a thousand.

I thought Lelani looked great. Her stats show 6 for 12 shooting plus 5 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals. When she and CJ were on the floor together we really got going.

At one point we had all 4 freshies on the floor together. They played hard, though Evelien and Jazelyn each got 4 fouls. It might take Jazelyn a few games to get back in a groove - she drove well but shot several airballs from deep.

The stats say we had 13 turnovers, which is better than usual for Cal, but Charmin was right in that most of them were really ugly. I also think we gave up too many offensive rebounds.

Jaelyn and Alaysia took a while to get going but looked like themselves in the second half. Sara can score.

I too thought McIntosh was really good tonite. Maybe she will be a worthy successor to AGL, Boyd and Thomas.
stu
ncbears said:

I too thought McIntosh was really good tonite. Maybe she will be a worthy successor to AGL, Boyd and Thomas.
I agree. She's not as big and strong as AGL or Boyd but she has a great motor, shows good skills and instincts for a freshie, and I think possesses Eliza Pierre quickness.
ncbears
OBear073akaSMFan said:

The CalBears site says 1268 was the attendance.
CalBears Stats Page
stu
ncbears said:

Does that number include the players, coaches, trainers, bus drivers, band, spirit groups, security and events people, catering, etc.?

BTW I can't comment on the "gameday experience" outside of the game itself. The sound level was comfortable inside my ear muffs.
BearBint
annarborbear said:

All of a sudden we are a great shooting team, including 90% from the free throw line. Hope people can retain that confidence in their shots.
I wish there had been a few more rebounds, but all those free throws! Eerie.

Strange games around the country: Arizona State lost to Minnesota; Stanford managed to beat Gonzaga, at Maples, in O.T. (the former scored 28 points in the first half...); while Arizona smacked the hell out of #22 Texas.

Am glad April Phillips decided to come here; she evidently knows her stuff.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/scoreboard
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
BearBint
stu said:

ncbears said:

Does that number include the players, coaches, trainers, bus drivers, band, spirit groups, security and events people, catering, etc.?

BTW I can't comment on the "gameday experience" outside of the game itself. The sound level was comfortable inside my ear muffs.
1268? Really? Yeah, and don't forget the weekend office and and cleaning staff. Nice atmosphere all the same.

(Should add, though, that the atmosphere was positive and happy, of course, toward the end. Bring your friends and family and neighbors!)
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
GoBears635
ncbears said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

CalBears Stats Page
I was there and I doubt that the fans in the seats were a third of that number. They are undoubtedly including all season ticket holders.
GATC
BearBint said:

stu said:

ncbears said:

1268? Really? Yeah, and don't forget the weekend office and and cleaning staff. Nice atmosphere all the same.

I was a nice atmosphere. Charmin said that she is so lucky to have these players in her first HC job. That says a lot about her and about the players. She said that the freshmen were instrumental in getting the great recruiting class that was just signed.
bearchamp
I am told that all that the ream has been working on is defense. Still a lot of "well it worked in high school" to get under control.. As to "Game Day" experience: the piped music is not only too loud, it is ugly anyway. I for one do not want to hear a tape telling me to clap my hands: I know when I want to clap or not. Impossible to have a conversation because of all the noise. Why is WBB trying to emulate NBA style razzle dazzle? We all know WBB is a different culture. Why not embrace it?
CalWSportsFan
I am living overseas now but bought my two season tickets court side to continue support program. Making sure to get friends in my seats in my absence to cheer the Bears on. Hope to make a game in January but enjoyed the live stream in the meantime. Excited about the future. Go Bears!
wvitbear
Bearchamp, you should complain to the school. The truth of it is that the majority of the fans are older and don't like it. Even though I am a musician, I would rather hear the the Straw Hat Band play than some tape. There is not much musical diversity at the game.
CalWSportsFan
I stopped going to WNBA games (in Sacramento) cuz I hated the loud music and constant noise during time outs, etc. I know they want to create a mood for the players, but that should be balanced with desires of fans as well...one shouldn't need earplugs to enjoy a game.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.