BOD tourney

1,696 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wvitbear
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bishop O' Dowd has games Saturday and Monday at their place for MLK. Some very interesting games with some players we may be recruiting.

Good weekend in Stockton too. But it is farther away.
wvitbear
Went to tourney yesterday. And have some points to make about recruits.

1. Saw St. Joe vs LaJolla Country Day. Country Day is the number one team in California and number one in the USA. They also have the number one player in Te-hina Paopao. And she is very good. Has the whole game. Can shoot, plays good defense, sees the court well. Sure would like to see her here.

2. A name to remember is their freshman center, 6'3" Breya Cunningham. Blocked a about a million shots. Long arms. Can score as well. I hope we are after her.

3. St. Joe has some decent guards but I don't see Pac 12 written on them. Sophomore Talana Lepolo handles the ball very well but I didn't notice an outside shot. Actually over penetrated repeatedly to have her sit blocked by Cunningham. Why don't guards float a wide open 8 footer?

4. A little side line. St Joe's coach just resigned after the school ran up the score on a couple of weak teams. i won't get into the specifics of this as there is along discussion on Nor Cal Prep, but the just is St. Joe is in a league with a number of very good academic schools but weak athletically. So the administration wants to be Head Royce but the basketball team wants to be like Mitty. Sat beside a parent who's daughter is on the team. She was very disgusted with the decision. I don't have a stand except it does no one good to beat someone 90 to 3.

5. On the the Bod- Heritage game. Bod has a sophomore guard named Amaya Bonner who is rated as the number one sophomore in Northern Cal. She is about 6' tall and was the most athletic I saw in any of the games and that included Paopao. At first I didn't think she shot well from the outside but she shot better the second half. Great in transition. Can pass the ball. And my understanding is we are recruiting her.

6. Heritage. I wanted to see 6'2" Abigail Muse as some last year were hot for her. She is very thin but has one skills but I don't hunk she would be much of an impact player in the Pac 12. She is considered the number one recruit in the 2020 class. She is going to Boise State.

7. But the player I was impressed with was her sister. 6'4" freshman Amanda Muse. She runs the court well, shoot midrange, has good hands, long arms and is only a freshman. She is very thin like her sister but is only a freshman . I talked to a parent on the team who said her father is 6'10". She looked like she grew between the first half and the second half. She could be 6'6" or more.

8. So to reiterate, I like the younger Muse, Bonner, and Cunningham. Easy to watch Bonner and Muse in the coming years but a little harder to watch Cunningham. Still, they may be up for some of the tournaments here like the Jzmboree or St. Mary's tournament. Or even the BOD tournament.

9. One question. How old is the BOD gym? Felt like I was going thru a time warp.
ClayK
Good analysis, at least from my perspective.

The BOD gym is actually dangerous, with metal bleachers only a couple feet from the court. It's also so small that the scorer's table is above the floor, only reachable by ladder, and they can't see subs.

I can only guess that BOD's reputation has allowed the court to be declared OK for North Coast Section and even NorCal play, but it really shouldn't be. The danger is enough, but also it's funny how O'Dowd's subs always get buzzed in in big games but subs for other teams might languish for a while.

Malik McCord is an excellent coach, and his event was great, but I had to yell up to our scorekeeper to find out how many timeouts each team had left, and tracking fouls (the scoreboards are old) was much more difficult than usual.

I've heard talk they want to build an actual gym on the crammed campus, but it's a multi-million dollar proposition, so who knows ...
wvitbear
In the first game, a ref tripped over the players feet on the bench which actually stick out on the floor. It took quite a while to see if he would continue. Boy was that dangerous. A -player could have the same thing happen to them.
wvitbear
Bonner is just rated the top player in the 2022 class in Norhtern Cal and the only 5 star recruit. BOD should be pretty good next year if they have a season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.