ASU today - Rd One of Pac12 Tourney

5,602 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ClayK
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Turner-Thorne didn't have her team ready for full-court pressure. Charmin out-coached her, and the freshmen applied the speed and intensity.
wvitbear
Cal has beaten three top 25 teams this season.

We played ASU pretty good last week but didn't win.
BearBint
PALMS OF EVERLASTING VICTORY!

(I am shaking so much I can barely type.)
Kookiebean
Awesome!
ncbears
Brown with 22
Crocker with 20
Green with 14
Only 6 turnovers in the half.

25-30 on free throws.
ASU was only 11-16.

Cal had 12 steals to ASU 7
Surprising, Cal had 22 points off turnovers and ASU had 20. Much tighter.

And what a happy group as Coach Smith is interviewed. The team is there behind her. And the Bears are doing their dance!

BearBint
ncbears said:

1.6 seconds to go.
Crocker to the line.
Cal did fair defense but kind of let ASU get the bucket.

Crocker makes the first.
and the second
Nerves of steel, blood of ice. Very, very proud of this crew.
ncbears
Cal made its push with four freshman on the floor.
And with the bigs coming in .well, I'm not going to get ahead of myself.

Tomorrow - rematch with Arizona.
ncbears
Stats here:
Stats from LiveStats
stu
Freshies play a big part with 44 points, 11 rebounds, 6 steals. They're not fresh any more.
BearBint
pearbear said:

Such BS calls. Seriously, the way ASU plays, and these are the calls on Cal?
It's called flagrant flopping.
ncbears
In all the excitement, I forgot Cal had only 21 points at half.
Cal scored 50 - FIFTY! - points in the second half.
They scored more than 21 in the third and the fourth quarter.
annarborbear
Great and deserved for a team that never, ever quit. And what a boost for future recruiting.
ncbears
Looking more at the stats - while the free throw attempts had a large divide.
ASU actually only committed five more fouls than the Bears - 23-18.

Cal has 12 steals to ASU's 7.
Both teams made 6 three pointers.
Blocks were even at 4.
ASU had 32 rebounds to Cal's 26. Each with 21 defensive rebounds but ASU had 11 offensive to Cal's 5.
And given the free throw scoring, ASU did make more field goals 25-20.

BearBint
Some nice video here: https://twitter.com/CalWBBall
GATC
annarborbear said:

Great and deserved for a team that never, ever quit. And what a boost for future recruiting.
They did not give up when things were looking bad. And they didn't give up when they ran into the rash of bad calls. I really like the character of the team.

Charmin said at the beginning of the year that this team will surprise some people. Then after the last home game right after the senior ceremony she said that the season isn't over and this team will make some waves, or something along those lines.

She also said after one of the private talks after the games that this was her favorite team because of the character of the players. No dead beats.
Schroeder71
I have the game on dvr for tonight. ASU handled Cal by 11 (32-21) in the first half. Somehow the Bears beat the Devils (50-35) by 15 points in the 2nd half. I think that I'll just watch the second half of this upset of #24 Arizona State. The Sun Devils top four players [Richardson, Ryan, Tapley, Ruden] were seniors, too. How many baskets has Cal scored in the final three minutes of games this season? GO BEARS!
NYCGOBEARS
I watched the last 4 minutes and... wow! That was an exciting game and a great win for the program. Whatever happens next, the team is definitely on an upward trajectory. Go Bears!
CalFanatic
I LOVE THIS TEAM.

Charmin 2020
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

I LOVE THIS TEAM.

Charmin 2020
+1000

Great comeback in the second half. Bears didn't fold under ASU pressure during waning moments.

Cal folks and friends need to get to Haas next season and support this team. Coach Smith is building something special.

Go Bears!!
KiteBear
Holy cow! Just got home and saw the score. Now I'm pissed I didn't go to Vegas this year
stu
GATC said:

Charmin said at the beginning of the year that this team will surprise some people. Then after the last home game right after the senior ceremony she said that the season isn't over and this team will make some waves, or something along those lines.
I recall her saying the team would make some noise in Arizona and they wanted a long stay in Las Vegas.

I wonder when or if the #12 ever beat the #5 in the Pac-12 tourney.
GATC
stu said:

GATC said:

I recall her saying the team would make some noise in Arizona and they wanted a long stay in Las Vegas.
Thanks. You have a better memory. You were sitting closer - that's my excuse.

Really a fun team to watch even when they struggle. They are fearless.

wvitbear
I believe that this is the second time a 12 seed has beaten a 5 seed. In fact, it might have been last year by Washington.
Bear8995
Way to go team! Congratulations to Coach Smith and staff. This team is going to be fun to follow the next couple of years.
IssyBear
Just watched the replay on PAC-12, and despite the fact that much of the 4th quarter seemed to be edited out of the video, it was clear that Cal just overwhelmed ASU in the 2nd half. Their quickness, effort and execution was very impressive. This is a great way for our senior players to end their careers at Cal (and it's not over just yet) and a super way to send our younger players into the off season. They now know that intensity and effort can win games.
ncbears
Those three minutes or so from down 11 to up 9 was amazing. ASU didnt get a shot for much of that. Five consecutive turnovers, then two misses/blocks, and then two more turnovers! And that was the press, the toughness, the quickness, the fun
Ashfield63
ncbears said:

What a #(*&#$(*&Bfoul call on Brown.
Even Murphy agrees.
So, with 1:33 to go, it's Cal 66 and ASU 63
Jaelyn did not touch her!!!! ***...
GGV
ClayK
A great win, and the kind of win a coach and program can build on.

Charmin and staff have done a tremendous job with this group.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.