From Cal WBB: Chillin' With Charmin!

5,592 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wvitbear
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This Saturday, May 2, 11 am PT live on Cal WBB Instagram (@CalWBBall). Special guests: April Phillips, CJ West and Sara Anastasieska.
3Cats4CAL
That was neat that all those people came and wished Charmin a happy birthday. I wonder if Devanai's daughter will be a bear? (how old is she at 6-5 ??)
HoopDreams
unfortunately missed it again. these just haven't been at good times for me

any recap?
3Cats4CAL
I came on after about 10 minutes into it, but what I saw: CJ updated what she's been doing and mentioned her favorite game (AZ ), did she think she would return in the game after her injury, that she loved the closeness of the team no matter what, etc, Sara also said what she's been doing,practicing in her garage, and her favorite game (UConn), what she'd like to improve on (Bringing up the ball etc but didn't mention her passing), and glad to get the Cal degree despite not being able to go on stage to get the diploma.. April came by alongwith other staff and wished Charmin a happy birthday, dropping off presents, A whole bunch of them were having a good time outside in the street, staying 6 ft apart, singing Stevie Wonder's version of Happy Birthday, Reshanda G and LayLay also logged in, as did Cowling, and Layshia I think. Then Devanai came on while driving in a car and updated her life and family, how tall her daughter was (6 ft 5) and large shoe size of her young boy who was already 5 ft tall. and lastly cute fan/boy ?? came on and talked about his basketball moves, etc as time ran out.
HoopDreams
Thanks 3Cats

It's great that former players joined in. Every time I miss these I kick myself!
wbbilluminati
3Cats4CAL said:

That was neat that all those people came and wished Charmin a happy birthday. I wonder if Devanai's daughter will be a bear? (how old is she at 6-5 ??)
I think you misheard... I just looked it up and Devanei's daughter was born in 2015 so not likely to be 6'5" (yet) lol

don't get our hopes up like that! :-P
3Cats4CAL
My badd. Now I wonder where that height size was in reference to - was it her own
height or child's projected height? During that conversation, Charmin mentioned how back when Dev was on the team- altho Charmin was still "on the other side" that she could relate since both had suffered injuries while they were on their teams.
stu
wbbilluminati said:

I think you misheard... I just looked it up and Devanei's daughter was born in 2015 so not likely to be 6'5" (yet) lol
Was she born on June 5th?
SFCALBear72
This Saturday, May 30, 11 am PT live on Cal WBB Instagram (@CalWBBall). Special guests: 2020 signees: Fatou Samb, Sela Heide and Ornela Muca
Schroeder71
Does anyone know of a link to today's chat with the other three 2020 recruits? I do not subscribe to Instagram but I was able to watch the previous Charmin chat here. GO BEARS!
3Cats4CAL
I subscribe to Instagram but was unable hear any audio., So I switched to my cell [hone and could her and see it there but I missed the first part with Crocker and only could hear halfway thru Samb. All were great but Ornella was especially sweet.
kc1121
I don't use IG but was able to see and hear both parts on cal wbb Instagram
Ashfield63
kc1121 said:

I don't use IG but was able to see and hear both parts on cal wbb Instagram
I was able to connect today via the link you noted, but was unable in the past to connect to Instagram. ...... I am looking forward to having these players in Calif. Ornella said she is so grateful to have the opportunity to attend CAL, and be a member of the team. I read the athletic teams on campus this summer will be part of the Covid-19 protcol to be studied in cooperation with the Student Health Sevices, and other departments. I am a retired nurse and figured as much would happen to ensure the health of the students and all involved who are on campus this summer. CAL hopes to have 4,000 people in the study including staff members.
GGV
wbbilluminati
stu said:

wbbilluminati said:

Was she born on June 5th?
I have a feeling 6'5" might have referred to how tall Devanei's partner is the father of her daughter. I don't know for sure as I was not at this particular live chat, but I believe i recall a past interview of Dev reading that her partner played at Morgan State (?) men's basketball, and I seem to recall that he wasn't outrageously tall but indeed taller than her
bearchamp
"Taller than she" in the English language.
smh
ugh
wvitbear
That's Ugh with an exclamation point. Ugh!
smh
grrrr! arrrgh!!
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
wvitbear
Posted on the wrong thread. I watched the whole tape today. Like this group. Selq would rather be here than the desert. Orna wanted to know if the team would travel internationally in the summer (how about Greece). The big girl from down south couln't wait to get here.

By the way, the school sent me an email stating that season tickets are for rebewal. The phone doesn't work. They don't know how many games. Don't know about spacing. Looks a little premature to me.
smh
wvitbear said:

By the way, the school sent me an email stating that season tickets are for rebewal. The phone doesn't work. They don't know how many games. Don't know about spacing. Looks a little premature to me.
yeah. just guessing, a bum rush got going to put out men and women's applications on the same day, ahead of ongoing high mucky muck covid prep. i had a great experience helped over the phone by homebound gold-mumble staff. where mumble is the goto senior moment placeholder. gold advantage ..or whatever.

and ato enthusiastically would/could/should help connect the dots too, to the extent known.
wvitbear
My staff member was helpful too, but the University didn't give her enough bullets. Was sent out too soon. Rex
SFCALBear72
wvitbear said:

Posted on the wrong thread. I watched the whole tape today. Like this group. Selq would rather be here than the desert. Orna wanted to know if the team would travel internationally in the summer (how about Greece). The big girl from down south couln't wait to get here.

The ink has barely dried on their signing letters and you are already disrespecting them by messing up their names ("Selq, Orna") and by this ignorant reference ("big girl from down south"). Ever stop to think they might be reading this forum? Or their parents? I know for a fact that at least one current player's mother reads these postings.

I don't care how big of a Cal WBB fan you think you are show some respect for these young women. Did the pain and raw emotion shown by Coach Smith and Cailyn Crocker at the beginning of the session do nothing for you?

For the record, it's Sela, Ornela and Fatou.
3Cats4CAL
I'm glad I was able to rewatch the first part of it with Charmin and Crocker That was the most important part.
wvitbear
Most of my mistakes were typos. I mispelled on the season ticket order too. People have mispelled my last name all my life. It doesn't upset me. And I don't think they are disrespecting me when they do it. My mother in law never di learn to spell my last name. My wife kept her maiden name so why bother. And my daughter has my wife's last name. So again she didn't have to learn my last name. My sister had a first grade teacher who put our name upon the blackboard every day in first grade and she misspelled it. So she had to endure for a whole year her name being mispelled. I think I mispelled mispell but I kind of like it that way.
smh
> The ink has barely dried on their signing letters and you are already disrespecting them by messing up their names

harsh much, just a lil bit?

all us old folks are doin' the best we can with what we got (left).

# go bears / farm out

signed, class of '73
wvitbear
You're such a kid Jay.
bearchamp
Watch who you are calling old! Class of '73 also. LOL.
smh
bearchamp said:

when reg fees were cheap and, umm, most other stuff was too. live long and prosper champ.
SFCALBear72
smh said:

> The ink has barely dried on their signing letters and you are already disrespecting them by messing up their names

harsh much, just a lil bit?

all us old folks are doin' the best we can with what we got (left).

# go bears / farm out

signed, class of '73
Nope. Edit function works quite fine here. Online courtesy should be observed by graduates of the #1 university in the world. Right?

Class of '72.
wvitbear
What if you didn't graduate from the Number 1 University of the World. Should you turn in your season tickets?
SFCALBear72
wvitbear said:

What if you didn't graduate from the Number 1 University of the World. Should you turn in your season tickets?
You're totally missing the point of my original posting. So be it.
I'm done debating this issue.
smh
wvitbear said:

cal generally and m/w hoops in particular looves supportive fans, wvit, puhlease don't.
OBear073akaSMFan
smh said:

bearchamp said:

when reg fees were cheap and, umm, most other stuff was too. live long and prosper champ.

Super cheap..was my first yr less than $100-$200 but quarterly. Class of '73 too!
smh
OBear073akaSMFan said:

smh said:

bearchamp said:

Super cheap..was my first yr less than $100-$200 but quarterly. Class of '73 too!
friend OBSM -> Right, On. "akaSMFan" a don't need to know secret. [patty hearst,, is that yoou?]

gratuitous flashback.. this fool got by w/o parental support (between jobs), nor savings, just gi bill bennies. a last chance at higher ed situation. first year's cheep 2br apt served 4 newbies, discounted rent too close to warring frats; aand of course we fought like cats about keeping the kitchen clean---er.

OBear073akaSMFan
Oak Tech graduate but kids all attended st Mary HS Berkeley! Was a huge fan of their HS
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.