Story Poster
Cal Women's Basketball

Cal Women's Hoops Adds 2021 Miramonte Guard Mia Mastrov

July 31, 2020

After a stellar Top 5 national recruiting class in 2020, the Bears are continuing to build for the future, adding local Miramonte High School guard Mia Mastrov to their 2021 recruiting class.

The 5’11” Matrov averaged 15.1 points, 5.6 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 2.8 steals for last year’s 23-6 Miramonte squad.

The senior guard has Cal basketball in her blood as the granddaughter of former Cal hoops player Bert Mastrov, who played with former Miramonte parent nd former all-time leading Cal  scorer Bob McKeen on Newell’s first Cal team in the mid-50s. McKeen’s son Bryan led Miramonte football to the NCS championship game in the Oakland Coliseum as a senior in 1979 and was a starting forward on their successful basketball teams.

“Ever since I was in grade school, I’ve been going to Cal games and watching Cal games since I was little,” said Mastrov. “My grandpa went to Cal and played for Pete Newell and he loved his experience there. All I’d ever hear from him is stories about his time at Cal. And every birthday or Christmas, it was nothing but Cal gear.”

Mastrov, rated 4 stars by NorCal Preps and 107th nationally by MaxPreps, was also named the SF Chronicle’s Contra Costa/Tri Valley Player of the Year.

http://instagr.am/p/B5ULSogjKTp

Mastrov has closely followed the talent Cal’s second year head coach Charmin Smith has been adding to the program since her arrival and is happy to get on board.

“I think the recruiting class Charmin brought in this year is going to be amazing,” sais Mastrov. “I mean, a top five class with tons of potential and size will set an amazing foundation for the future. I’m excited to play with them and the rest of the team that will be there when I get there next year. It’s going to be crazy!”

Miramonte head coach Kelly Sopak is one of the most respected prep and AAU coaches in the country. He’s seen and coached a lot of star players, including #1 overall WNBA pick Sabrina Ionescu at Miramonte and he likes where Mastrov stands in comparison to the talent he’s coached.

“Mia is one of the most improved players I have coached, with unlimited potential as a dynamic scorer,” said Sopak. “She puts in a lot of work to improve her game and will be an immediate contributor for Cal.”

Bear Insider

Mastrov will have another year of high school to enjoy before arriving at Cal but is already looking forward to the next step of her journey.

“I’m just looking forward to playing in the Pac-12,” said Mastrov. “That’s always been my dream and it’s always been my dream to play at Cal, so I’m just excited to get out there and face the best competition in the country. And to be able to play in front of family and friends, I’m lucky to have this support system behind me. It’s a huge part of my choice and to have my family and friends nearby, I think that’s super special. Not a lot of people get to experience something like that. 

“I’ve had a lot of offers from top educational institutions in the country like the Ivy Leagues, but Cal’s the number one public school in the nation and education’s extremely important to me and my family so it helped make my decision that much easier. I mean, where else can you get such a great education and play that high a level of basketball?”

Cal Women's Hoops Adds 2021 Miramonte Guard Mia Mastrov

12,544 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dmh65
DCW67MSW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great story MB. She has Cal in her blood, & lots of Cal gear already , what a perfect recruit.
puget sound cal fan
Sopak's comment about Mastrov's scoring ability and her work ethic makes for excited anticipation for her arrival.
Along with the addition of Jayda Curry, Charmin has assembled quite a back court duo to compliment, what could be, Cal's strongest team since the Final Four aggregation.
Schroeder71
Perfect Cal recruit! MB-thankyou for filling in her backround story for the rest of us. GO BEARS!
dmh65
How awesome! Congrats to her and the WBB program!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.