A potential grad-transfer?

16,803 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
bearwbbfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jadyn Bush, a 5-11 forward from Harvard.

This was posted on the UW forum from her former AAU coach:

"Jadyn Bush a 3 year starter at Harvard is graduating and will be a grad transfer. We [UW] may not have had the room but she will play for Cal. She is a bit undersized but she is extremely smart, plays hard, can rebound and would have been another connection to NW Blazers. She played high school ball at Blanchet."
CalFanatic
Would make sense with the news of Styles transferring. Sounds like a very solid replacement. GO BEARS
SFCALBear72
Her experience is needed and would be extremely valuable. Harvard plays a tough schedule and is very competitive, as we well know.
wvitbear
So I think she is a junior elgibility wise. I an't find her on last year's team but she was the previous two years. Thinking she might have been injured. She wasn't super impressive. For one year,maybe. But not two years. As I have said before, anymore recruits have to be super impressive as we are full of talent.
HoopDreams
so we trade players with Harvard huh?
OBear073akaSMFan
In the 2 years she played, she took zero 3pt shots. My guess most of her points will be coming around the paint. At 5-11 & in the competitive pac-12 could be tough unless she relies on quickness.
stu
OBear073akaSMFan said:

In the 2 years she played, she took zero 3pt shots. My guess most of her points will be coming around the paint. At 5-11 & in the competitive pac-12 could be tough unless she relies on quickness.
I've seen a few unlikely-looking players get a lot of mileage out of smarts, skills, and hustle. Besides her experience could be helpful to our freshies.
CalFanatic
10.9 PPG and 8.5 RPG in her last season.

Great numbers but obviously Pac-12 competition will be much tougher.
Schroeder71
Jadyn Bush is from the state of Washington. She only played her freshman and sophomore years and was MIA her junior campaign. As CalFanatic listed, her stats were solid for a soph starter SF (5-11) at 10.9 ppg + 8.5 rpg. She should have two seasons of eligibility if she desires to use 'em.
https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jadyn-bush/22727
GO BEARS!
annarborbear
She did play 13 minutes against us two years ago. So Charmin did scout her and saw her in that game.
wvitbear
And she scored 6 points. The thing I am concerned about is she has two years left. Meaning that we wouldn't be able to offer a top notch recruit a scholarship.
SFCALBear72
wvitbear said:

And she scored 6 points. The thing I am concerned about is she has two years left. Meaning that we wouldn't be able to offer a top notch recruit a scholarship.

Let's not get too carried away with the "what ifs". She hasn't even committed to us yet.
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

Aa a Harvard grad with honors in economics and internships with a hedge fund and a transportation company, she will probably use this opportunity for a one-year graduate degree and then move on to a great career in business.
wvitbear
When I looked at the Harvard site, and this was before she said she was transferring, two sophomore guards were featured. She wasn't mentioned. So at best she would be the third best player on her team. Any playing time she took would be at the development time of the newer recruits. One year OK. Two years then no.
puget sound cal fan
Her record indicates she has skills. Her HS and AAU experience suggests she's a competitor, and may have played against incoming Cal frosh Daniels and Seide. Could be a good pick-up with her D-1 experience on a young team.
wbbilluminati
I remember this name, she was actually ranked #84 by Prospects Nation though her name misspelled: Jayden Bush -- https://prospectsnation.com/player/jayden-bush#bio
annarborbear
For this young a team, you would like to have a mentor grad player who is serious about both basketball and the classroom. Looks like she would fit that role now that Styles is gone.
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

For this young a team, you would like to have a mentor grad player who is serious about both basketball and the classroom. Looks like she would fit that role now that Styles is gone.
The Harvard Crimson said Jaydn sat out most of the 2019-2020 season due to off season shoulder surgery.
mbBear
wvitbear said:

I thought Cal was still below the scholarship number, and that this is rarely, if ever an issue on the women's side?
wvitbear
Normally it isn't. But we have a lot of young players.. More than normal. So one year doesn't matter. It is the second year that does. We are looking for some high class recruits then and we don't have many scholarships left.
philbert
https://instagr.am/p/CE5s9kpMZwv
stu
Welcome Jaydn! So pleased you chose Cal!
mbBear
wvitbear said:

Normally it isn't. But we have a lot of young players.. More than normal. So one year doesn't matter. It is the second year that does. We are looking for some high class recruits then and we don't have many scholarships left.
Okay, I guess we have to hope that Charmin et. al. have it figured out! But let's face it, based on an early track record, recruiting etc. seems to be very under control....
CalFanatic
I continue to be amazed at this staff and the ability to land top notch players. It felt like we landed 1 out of every 40 recruits with LG leading the way. GO BEARS.
HoopDreams
I watched some video highlights of her during HS

Obviously her game has changed a lot since then, but from these videos:

Her standout ability is her defense. Indicates high hoops IQ

She is scrappy. Good hands

She scores 90% from the low post, and she seems to have a quick first step

Not a shooter. In her highlights, she had zero shots beyond 15 feet, and any shot outside of 5 feet were few. Her shooting form was not ideal

Not a strong ball handler

Undersized in height and frame. Has the body of a guard, but the game of a small forward

I'd like to see her Harvard highlights to get a better read

stu
HoopDreams said:

... Undersized in height and frame. Has the body of a guard, but the game of a small forward
Reminds me of Leigh Gregory, who had a fine career at Cal.
CalFanatic
stu said:

HoopDreams said:

... Undersized in height and frame. Has the body of a guard, but the game of a small forward
Reminds me of Leigh Gregory, who had a fine career at Cal.
Funny. I was thinking the same thing. Team Carondelet!
wbbilluminati
Looks like a better athlete than what I remember of Leigh Gregory. I like what I see on video!
Ashfield63
Jaydyn Bush, a 5-11 Sr. Wing per Raoul. She started 28 games in 2018-2019, 26 minutes per game, 10.9 PPG Shehosted McKenzie Forbes on her visit to Harvard. Kenzie applied to Harvard as a transfer student for this academic year....she found out she was accepted in early May. She has taken classes at a community college, coached young girls, trained and got into shape. She said she wasn't in great shape when playing at Cal. She looks great. She and her brother, who plays Basketball for Harvard train together. Harvard was looking forward to the 2020-2021 season with their new players, and senior Jadyn Bush. I guess CAL is even Steven with Harvard!
stu
wbbilluminati said:

Looks like a better athlete than what I remember of Leigh Gregory. I like what I see on video!
I see good vision, a strong motor, and no fear of contact. In the video she looks a little like Evelien.
Baygbear
From her high school highlights she reminds me of Gabby Williams from UConn, now with the Chicago Sky. Same height and looks like an all out hustle player who will do the dirty work on the glass. I didn't see her dribble but if she can grab the rebound and start the transition similarly to what Cowling did I think that would be great.
HoopDreams
stu said:

wbbilluminati said:

I see good vision, a strong motor, and no fear of contact. In the video she looks a little like Evelien.

evelien is perhaps a good comparison, but evelien is taller and looks stronger/more athletic

I think she will be a contributor, but not sure how she fits in with this team given we have a lot of talent and size in the post, and as you say, her game looks similar to evelien

here are her soph highlights (she was injured so missed her junior year):

2018-19 (Sophomore)

Posted a double-double at Purdue (Nov. 11) with 11 points and 11 rebounds Recorded a double-double against La Salle (Nov. 14) with 11 points and 10 rebounds Notched a double-double at Siena (Nov. 16) with a season-high 19 points and 11 rebounds Added 18 points and nine rebounds against Jacksonville St. (Nov. 23) Posted a double-double at CSUN (Nov. 24) with 17 points and 15 rebounds Posted a double-double against Quinnipiac (Nov. 30) with 12 points and 11 rebounds Recorded eight rebounds and two assists against Rutgers (Dec. 4) Registered eight rebounds and two assists against Rutgers (Dec. 8) Posted a double-double against Boston University with 10 points and 10 rebounds (Dec. 21) Notched six points and two assists at No. 14 California (Dec. 30) Posted a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds against Dartmouth (Jan. 19) Posted a double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds at Dartmouth (Jan. 26) Added 12 points and six rebounds at Yale (Feb. 1) Posted a double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds at Brown (Feb. 2) Posted a double-double with 11 points and 13 rebounds at Columbia (Feb. 8) Tallied 12 rebounds and nine points at Cornell (Feb. 9) Recorded 10 points and seven rebounds against Princeton (Feb. 15) Notched 16 points and nine rebounds against Penn (Feb. 16) Registered 16 points and eight rebounds against Brown (Feb. 22) Posted 10 points and six rebounds against Yale (Feb. 23) Added 14 points and 10 rebounds at Penn (March 1) Posted a double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds against Drexel (March 22) Added 10 points and five rebounds against Georgetown (March 24).

annarborbear
I like that Charmin wants her players to earn their time on the court. Let the competition begin. It is going to make everyone better.
wvitbear
We need a wing that can defend and shoot the three. Like Brown and Cowling. We already have Ship.
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

We need a wing that can defend and shoot the three. Like Brown and Cowling. We already have Ship.
That would be ideal. But nobody like that has signed up yet.

I will go out on a limb, and say that I think Bush will be a lot better than Ship. Really solid basketball instincts, great anticipation on defense, and double/doubles game after game. Ship shot only 39% last year, even though most of her shots came within three feet of the basket. Love her toughness. But Bush looks like more of a player.

As far as over-signing goes, we are a long way from having a stable proven roster. There are going to be injuries, transfers, and people who don't end up being as good as we had hoped. Attrition among international players is also usually higher, So getting a proven player like Bush is a good move in my opinion, even if she does take a slot for more than one year.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.