A potential grad-transfer?

16,905 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
puget sound cal fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wvit, it didn't look like Bush is a perimeter scorer in her HS videos, which is apparently reinforced by her Harvard reports. Nonetheless, she appears to be scrappy on the boards at 5'11" (same height as Mia). The HS videos don't feature her slashing to the hoop. but she scores effectively in the paint. She moves well and blocks shots on defense. The Bears are in need of a SF/Wing, who can score from outside, as well as slash to the hole. If Bush wants to come to Cal and return to the West Coast, will Charmin take her?
SFCALBear72
puget sound cal fan said:

wvit, it didn't look like Bush is a perimeter scorer in her HS videos, which is apparently reinforced by her Harvard reports. Nonetheless, she appears to be scrappy on the boards at 5'11" (same height as Mia). The HS videos don't feature her slashing to the hoop. but she scores effectively in the paint. She moves well and blocks shots on defense. The Bears are in need of a SF/Wing, who can score from outside, as well as slash to the hole. If Bush wants to come to Cal and return to the West Coast, will Charmin take her?

She has already signed with Cal.
HoopDreams
SFCALBear72 said:

She has already signed with Cal.

I thought she was a strange signing

A solid player but we have a lot of bigs, and she seems too similar to evelien

Agree, we need a shooting, slashing athletic wing and with all the transfers probably immediately eligible this year, you'd think we would be able to sign someone good in our position of need
ClayK
The issues are the same as on the men's side, starting with facilities. I've talked to numerous female players over the years, and I remember asking one if she liked the school she was attending. She said she really didn't know because all she did was go to class, go the practice facility and hang out in the players' lounge/athletic dorm/apartment.

Essentially, players have a full-time job, and their work environment is pretty important -- and Cal's is substandard.

In addition, you're not coming to a program that's going to allow you to experience the NCAA tournament for more than a game (maybe two if the gods smile), if any at all.

So transferring would be for academics (which means the player isn't really elite and not looking to play professionally overseas) or to put up big numbers to polish the resume for overseas paychecks.

That's why I think Imari'I Thomas is a reasonable get -- she could increase her value overseas by showing she can score in the Pac-12, so it makes sense for her to seriously consider Cal. But as Alaysia Styles and Kianna Smith show, transferring out makes more sense for a lot of elite players, as they get to a better work environment and have a chance to go deep in the tournament.
HoopDreams
ClayK said:

The issues are the same as on the men's side, starting with facilities. I've talked to numerous female players over the years, and I remember asking one if she liked the school she was attending. She said she really didn't know because all she did was go to class, go the practice facility and hang out in the players' lounge/athletic dorm/apartment.

Essentially, players have a full-time job, and their work environment is pretty important -- and Cal's is substandard.

In addition, you're not coming to a program that's going to allow you to experience the NCAA tournament for more than a game (maybe two if the gods smile), if any at all.

So transferring would be for academics (which means the player isn't really elite and not looking to play professionally overseas) or to put up big numbers to polish the resume for overseas paychecks.

That's why I think Imari'I Thomas is a reasonable get -- she could increase her value overseas by showing she can score in the Pac-12, so it makes sense for her to seriously consider Cal. But as Alaysia Styles and Kianna Smith show, transferring out makes more sense for a lot of elite players, as they get to a better work environment and have a chance to go deep in the tournament.
good post, and agree with many of your points

I've advocated making smaller investments in the basketball program that would benefit players (and fans) until we can fund/build a practice facility ... for example, building a nice player lounge, making smaller upgrades to the locker room... even making the RSF gold gym a little nicer (I understand there were a group of donors that contributed to a fund that paid for the Cal basketball branding there, but the last time I was in there before Covid the new 3 point line was still just taped on the court, and the entire gym was looking a little worn)

Besides the factors you listed, I'd add team and coach culture. It doesn't make up for going deep into the NCAA or super facilities, but it matters a lot to players. I've heard local players say they just didn't like the players/coaches/culture of prospective teams they were recruited by
ClayK
The team culture aspect is really important -- good point.

When kids do their visits, they hang out with the players, and that's a major factor. There was a time Cal had a very inner-city, tough-girl vibe and it turned off some recruits. I don't think it's that way now, but I don't know. The recruits figure it out pretty quickly, though ...
SFCALBear72
ClayK said:

When kids do their visits, they hang out with the players, and that's a major factor. There was a time Cal had a very inner-city, tough-girl vibe and it turned off some recruits. I don't think it's that way now, but I don't know. The recruits figure it out pretty quickly, though ...

Your comment: "turned off some recruits". And how do you know this? Speculation? Or as Judge Judy would say "hearsay"? Like your next comment says "I don't know". Exactly.
ClayK
I do talk to recruits -- I think I've coached 25 D-1 or so basketball players over the years -- and I did hear that the inner city vibe at Cal at one time wasn't what they were looking for.

I doubt it's like that now, especially since Mia Mastrov is there.
wvitbear
Clay should know first hand in a roundabout way. There was a certain attitude in the Bay area that she was getting too much press. When Berkeley High played there several years ago, the Berkeley High Coach said the Miramonte fans were yelling the N word at the Berkeley High players. Clay said they were not doing it. But there was controversy for a couple of weeks till Berkeley High's investigation found the coach had lied. The Berkeley High coach was fired.

Clay did not deserve that. Neither did the Miramonte fans. I wasn't at that game but I was at another game that lead me to believe there were some hard feelings toward Sabrina.
juarezbear
ClayK said:

Thank you for your insights! I just watched the Arizona women's team advance to the Final Four. McDonald was amazing and lifted the team on her small shoulders - goes to show that one standout player like Kristen Anigwe did for us a few years back is a game changer. I understand your previous post about facilities and that an upgrade would help both the women's and men's programs. Barring that, I guess we have to rely on Charmin getting some great recruits who value an elite education and hope that if she can build some kind of winning tradition, that the momentum will bring in better players and eventually more financial support for a facility upgrade. Once again, thanks for your candor.
puget sound cal fan
At Cal Ashley got her points in the paint, and she was the Bears' leading rebounder. I don't recall her having an outside shot. She was drafted #1 by the WNBA's Seattle Storm. At ,maybe, 6'0", Ashley's lack of a perimeter shot limited her utility and PT. The Storm released her, and I think she went to Europe to have a pretty successful playing career there.
BearBint

At Cal Ashley got her points in the paint, and she was the Bears' leading rebounder. I don't recall her having an outside shot. She was drafted #1 by the WNBA's Seattle Storm. At ,maybe, 6'0", Ashley's lack of a perimeter shot limited her utility and PT. The Storm released her, and I think she went to Europe to have a pretty successful playing career there.
She has one now--5-of-7 recently: https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Turkey/OGM-Orman-Genclik-Ankara/17677?Page=0
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Schroeder71
Ashley Walker must really love the game to keep playing in Europe at age 34...Wow!
stu
Schroeder71 said:

Ashley Walker must really love the game to keep playing in Europe at age 34...Wow!
She may also really love Europe.
puget sound cal fan
Charmin was a key recruiter under Gotlieb, too. I'd say Charmin is a better "closer" of recruits than Lindsay was. Charmin is also Black, with two furd graduate degrees, which are big assets.
OBear073akaSMFan

Charmin was a key recruiter under Gotlieb, too. I'd say Charmin is a better "closer" of recruits than Lindsay was. emains Charmin is also Black, with two furd graduate degrees, which are big assets.

..but coaching still remains a question. She cannot have a disastrous year like this past year!
Ashfield63

protocols. Many WBB programs did not play games at all or stopped some time during the season. The BEARS almost beat Arizona at home. it was close until the end of the game, then Ari MacDonald got them the win. Two days later, Cal beat Arizona State. Meanwhile, Arizona will play in the Final Four NCAA tournament tomorrow nig night
Ashfield63
Ashfield63 said:

I don't think you can judge last season in regards to Charmin's coaching abilities due to injuries and Covid

protocols. Many WBB programs did not play games at all or stopped some time during the season. The BEARS almost beat Arizona at home. it was close until the end of the game, then Ari MacDonald got them the win. Two days later, Cal beat Arizona State. Meanwhile, Arizona will play in the Final Four NCAA tournament tomorrow night. Before the first game was played, Charmin said Alma was the only freshman college ready. Alma attended a residential basketball school for high school. Unfortunately, she sustained a season ending injury during one of the two pre-season games. Sela sustained an injury during the season. Charmin has said she expects Cailyn, Jazzy, Alma and Sela able to play next season. During a Pac-12 TV interview at the tournament, Charmin said she saw much growth for the team. Cori Close, HC at UCLA has commended Charmin's ability to coach during this very difficult season. It isn't easy to win games in the Pac-12 conference, but with summer workouts, conditioning, and playing pre-season games, I am hoping for a much improved team. There will be 13 scholarship players if everyone is healthy.
wbbilluminati
Indiana's Patberg announced she'll return next year using the covid year. She was c/o 2015 (granted had injuries and transferred from UND) but imagine if her classmate Kristine Anigwe was still playing college ball lol
wbbilluminati

Was recruited by Cal under coach G
wvitbear
I think if they don't give out all their scholarships, they will give one to Richey.
wbbilluminati
wbbilluminati said:

Was recruited by Cal under coach G
Koi Love to Arizona.
SFCALBear72
Taylor Chavez entered the portal today. She considered us coming out of high school. Her minutes decreased this past season with all the freshmen Graves brought in
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

Taylor Chavez entered the portal today. She considered us coming out of high school. Her minutes decreased this past season with all the freshmen Graves brought in

Strange situation with Chavez, Last year she was Sixth Man Player of the Year in the PAC12, and lead the league in three-point shooting at 47%. This year she shot only 33% from three. We could use last year's version.
wbbilluminati
We were said to be her leader at one point as she was a top student too. Doesn't seem to be a big need at this point.
3Cats4CAL
She hopped on the bandwagon and followed Ionescu to Oregon.
Ashfield63
I wonder if Taylor Chavez wants to play in Arizona.......can players transfer to a school in the same conference? Arizona State is rebuilding, and she could possibly be a starter. Adia Barnes loves transfers, and Arizona is on top of the world after the NCAA Tournament. In a tweet, Charmin said she wants to be where Adia and Dawn Staley are.(In so many words) The question is, will guards, Cailyn, Jazzy, and Alma be in pre-injury shape for the next season.
ClayK
It appears the NCAA and Pac-12 will finally abandon the transfer sit-out rule so Chavez will be eligible next year wherever she goes.
wbbilluminati
wbbilluminati said:

Alexis Tucker 5'11" W enters the portal out of Texas Tech. Averaged 6+ ppg this past season and 10+ ppg her frosh campaign.
Tucker to UC Santa Barbara
wbbilluminati
SFCALBear72 said:

Chavez to Arizona.

ASU also got a couple transfers: Jade Loville a guard who averaged 17ppg for Boise State and looks impressive and from SJSU shooter from San Francisco Ayzhiana Basallo.
puget sound cal fan
Ashley was all that and more, but she did not have an outside shot. At Cal she got the majority of her points in the paint at 6'2", and was their leading rebounder. If she had developed a perimeter game, she could have been a WNBA all star. Walker was taken in Round 1 by the Seattle Storm, but she was released she couldn't call on a perimeter game to compliment her strong inside play. She was Cal WBB's top career rebounder until she was eclipsed by Anigwe. After the Storm, Walker hit the international circuit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.