A potential grad-transfer?

16,917 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
Ashfield63
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can Jazzie Green(Sophomore), Alma(Sweden) or Mia Mastrov (2021) be developed to play the Wing position.....Hope the Pac-12 will play soon.....I read they are considering starting play at the end of November, depending on the Covid situation.......CAL has an excellent protocol for its Athletes......
wvitbear
Remember that Ship was going against the best league in the country. That is a significant jump from Ivy League stats.
GATC
annarborbear said:

wvitbear said:

We need a wing that can defend and shoot the three. Like Brown and Cowling. We already have Ship.
That would be ideal. But nobody like that has signed up yet.

I will go out on a limb, and say that I think Bush will be a lot better than Ship. Really solid basketball instincts, great anticipation on defense, and double/doubles game after game. Ship shot only 39% last year, even though most of her shots came within three feet of the basket. Love her toughness. But Bush looks like more of a player.

As far as over-signing goes, we are a long way from having a stable proven roster. There are going to be injuries, transfers, and people who don't end up being as good as we had hoped. Attrition among international players is also usually higher, So getting a proven player like Bush is a good move in my opinion, even if she does take a slot for more than one year.
Agree with you. She is perfect for our 10 player 40 minute pressure defense. Put a blond wig on Charmin and teams will think they are playing ASU.
annarborbear
Would be fun to see who's right. But the way this is going, we may end up with a virtual season of various imaginings.
wvitbear
I would compare their freshman years instead of one's soph and the others fresh. Fresh are similar except for one item. Slip led our team in blocked shots and was way ahead of Jad. In fact slip was 5th in the Pac 12 in blocked shots.
senorbeta
mbBear said:

wvitbear said:

And she scored 6 points. The thing I am concerned about is she has two years left. Meaning that we wouldn't be able to offer a top notch recruit a scholarship.
I thought Cal was still below the scholarship number, and that this is rarely, if ever an issue on the women's side?

We haven't been near the limit of 15 scholarships in a decade or more.
SFCALBear72
johnecookjr said:

mbBear said:

wvitbear said:

And she scored 6 points. The thing I am concerned about is she has two years left. Meaning that we wouldn't be able to offer a top notch recruit a scholarship.
I thought Cal was still below the scholarship number, and that this is rarely, if ever an issue on the women's side?

We haven't been near the limit of 25 scholarships in a decade or more.

25? It's 15 for women's basketball. 13 for men's basketball.
BearBint
And perhaps (I hope!) a bit of Ashley Walker, an undersized post who played very big, offensively and defensively.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
wbbilluminati
BearBint said:

And perhaps (I hope!) a bit of Ashley Walker, an undersized post who played very big, offensively and defensively.
I was going to say she kind of has a nice bouncy athleticism like Ashley! And the way she throws her body to help her finish despite being undersized.
stu
wbbilluminati said:

BearBint said:

I was going to say she kind of has a nice bouncy athleticism like Ashley! And the way she throws her body to help her finish despite being undersized.
Ashley also had bulk, strength, and an outside shot.
wvitbear
If Ashley had had the 4 front liners plus E slip, she would have played small forward.
Schroeder71
Ashley Walker was one of my favorite Cal women's players of all-time. She was between 6 feet 1/2 inch &
6-1 (I believe). Ashley also increased her strength over her career in Berkeley. Jadyn Bush is 5-11 and a bit more svelte in physique.
wvitbear
Ashley was 5'11" tall but played bigger. They might have listed her as taller but if you went to the game and practices you would know she was 5'11".
stu
wvitbear said:

Ashley was 5'11" tall but played bigger. They might have listed her as taller but if you went to the game and practices you would know she was 5'11".
There's some weird force field around the WBB section of Haas which shrinks tape measures about 3 percent. Can't be relativistic because nothing in the Athletic Department moves fast.
wvitbear
Boy Stu, you taught me a new word. Usually I lean on crossword puzzles to do that.
annarborbear
Does anyone know if our international players have arrived in the Bay Area yet? Or is Covid going to become an additional possible barrier in building the team? Hope not.
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

Does anyone know if our international players have arrived in the Bay Area yet? Or is Covid going to become an additional possible barrier in building the team? Hope not.
On a recent Chillin With Charmin, Evelien Lutje Schipholt was talking about training wearing a mask. Leilani McIntosh commented to Charmin, ELS "murdered us" on a certain workout. It may have been running up stairs. I don't know if the other two players from Europe are on campus.
annarborbear
I am hearing now that Bush will not be graduating from Harvard until June, and will actually be coming here for the 2021-22 season. She also says that her game is about defense, rebounding and being a team player, including setting screens for others. Her own offense is secondary in her opinion, and she will fill any role that is required.
Schroeder71
annarborbear-your statement could be right but it doesn't make logical sense. Why would she have her photo in a Cal uniform now for if she will sit out this season in Boston. I cannot think of another situation like that for a senior transfer. I guess that is possible as Jadyn Bush is still listed on this season's Harvard roster.
https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jadyn-bush/22727
puget sound cal fan
Bush may take pride in her defense, but her background info reflects she's a scorer, too.
Intuit
She may have a 2020 preseason Harvard picture but that's all she and her teammates have for the approaching 2020 season. The Ivy League Conference completely shut down competition this year. She will graduate from Harvard this spring with presumably 2 years of eligibility left. Currently she is still a full time student at Harvard.

The next time she steps on the basketball court as a player it will be in the 2021 season and she will be a California graduate transfer.
annarborbear
Am also hearing that Charmin contacted Bush once Bush had entered the portal. So this is a specific intentional recruitment.
wbbilluminati
annarborbear said:

I am hearing now that Bush will not be graduating from Harvard until June, and will actually be coming here for the 2021-22 season. She also says that her game is about defense, rebounding and being a team player, including setting screens for others. Her own offense is secondary in her opinion, and she will fill any role that is required.
Yep, that's what I read on Raoul's twitter too...

......unless.... you ARE raoul???
annarborbear
wbbilluminati said:

annarborbear said:

I got it from a different source than that, but did not want to violate board rules by providing a link. However, it did come from a direct interview of Bush, so it is authoritative.
wbbilluminati
annarborbear said:

wbbilluminati said:

annarborbear said:

I got it from a different source than that, but did not want to violate board rules by providing a link. However, it did come from a direct interview of Bush, so it is authoritative.

ANSWER THE QUESTION.

lol jk. I just asked tho b/c I know Raoul actually talks a lot about UMichigan and the Big 10
annarborbear
I still do follow Michigan women's basketball. They have had eight straight 20-win seasons, but haven't been able to do much in the post-season. And adding Maryland, Rutgers, Nebraska and Penn State to the conference has made the regular season much more challenging; although the Penn State program has really crashed since the arrival of Sandy Barbour. Will look forward to seeing what M'Cole can do this year at Nebraska.
Baygbear
IImar'I Thomas (5-10 SR wing, Oakland, CA)the AAC Player of the Year for 2020-21is in the portal as a grad transfer out of Cincinnati WBB; 23.7 PPG, 7.5 RPG, and 3.3 APG this season.

*copy & pasted from Raoul on Twitter*

puget sound cal fan
Given Charmin & Co's recruiting coverage of Washington State, I'm confident the Bears are well aware of Bush and her status. Weren't the Bears among the final schools Bush was considering before she committed to the Crimson? Cal could use a skilled SF, but I'm not sure who Charmin may be targeting as HS recruits.
wbbilluminati

Alexis Tucker 5'11" W enters the portal out of Texas Tech. Averaged 6+ ppg this past season and 10+ ppg her frosh campaign.
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

Alexis Tucker 5'11" W enters the portal out of Texas Tech. Averaged 6+ ppg this past season and 10+ ppg her frosh campaign.

Looking back at posts here, you posted a few of them back in 2019 about Alexis Tucker and her recruitment. You wondered why Coach Gottlieb hadn't extended an offer particularly because Tucker's mom is a Cal grad.

What are you hearing now about where she might end up?
wvitbear
Averaging 6 points per game for a not very good team doesn't sound like a player we need. We need a star.
wbbilluminati
wvitbear said:

Averaging 6 points per game for a not very good team doesn't sound like a player we need. We need a star.
I agree but better frosh stats then limited PT after a blue chip grad transfer at her position joined in the offseason.
wifeisafurd
whatever happened to Bush?
SFCALBear72
wifeisafurd said:

She will be coming to campus for early workouts in June and will play for the Bears next season.

She has been attending the Zoom sessions Coach Smith has had for fans during the season too.
wifeisafurd
SFCALBear72 said:

wifeisafurd said:

She will be coming to campus for early workouts in June and will play for the Bears next season.

She has been attending the Zoom sessions Coach Smith has had for fans during the season too.
thanks for the update
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.