ASGR Basketball......Mia Mastrov.....

5,232 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wbbilluminati
Ashfield63
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Top 50 Class of 2021....AZ....CA....CO....ID....MT....NV....UT....WASH....WY....

Mia Mastrov, CA.... 5'11", PG....Rank: 15....Numeric Rating: 93..........CAL

Janiya Harriel, CA....5'10", SG....Rank: 17....Numeric Rating: 93..........STANFORD

Madison Conner, AZ....5'11", SG....Rank: 18....Numeric Rating: 92........ARIZONA

So glad Mia Mastrov will be on the CAL WBB Team, Class of 2021.....GO BEARS!

wvitbear
Remind me of what ASGR stands for.
ClayK
For the record, Mia is not a point guard.
stu
wvitbear said:

Remind me of what ASGR stands for.
All Star Girls Report (though that wasn't easy to find on their web site).
wvitbear
Agree with Clay. Mia is not a point guard. I don't think harriel is either.
Intuit
Misplacing these players position sure makes it appropriate to be skeptical about their rating.
wbbilluminati
That (west coast) rankings list (https://asgrbasketball.com/west-coast-region-top-50/) gets a little dubious after the top 8. For one you'll see the Arizona commit is actually at #7 AND #18. #9 Hoff is committed to Seattle Pacific while the two behind her are committed to SEC and Pac-12. Furthermore, I believe Harriel is ranked in their top 70 or top 100 national rankings while Mastrov is not.
Ashfield63
ClayK said:

For the record, Mia is not a point guard.
I thought she was a SG, but they had her as PG, if I read it correctly. Tx.
wbbilluminati
https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2021

Prospects Nation just updated their top 150
annarborbear
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that ASGR started off as a site on which recruits could pay to have their information published to try to attract recruiting interest. May not be doing that any more, but their track record seems a little suspect.

At this point, I think we need to rely on board members who have actually seen our recruits play in previous years.
OBear073akaSMFan
wbbilluminati said:

https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2021

Prospects Nation just updated their top 150
I am still right, Mia is still not listed in the top 150 (4**** or higher). I do see Kylie Horstmeyer at #126.

Clay when I try to search by name, Mia's doesn't show up. Is this a mistake?

wvitbear
Having seen Horstmeyer and Mia, Mia is the better player. Mia did have Mono last year and may not have been available for scouts to see. I caught her in January and she had just gotten back.
annarborbear
I did find the ad that ASGR ran for their "recruiting app":

"Increase Your Recruiting Success

Own Your Profile!

ASGR Basketball Profiler Plus App, powered by BeTheBeast, is a comprehensive online recruiting platform that increases your probability of getting recruited by giving college coaches access to your athletic resume and highlight video, on their mobile devices, to determine if you have what it takes for them to evaluate you, at our tournaments."

They said that you could register and pay to edit your profile to increase your chances.
annarborbear
I just paid to register WVIT on the ASGR recruiting app. He is now the eighth ranked shooting guard for 2022.
stu
annarborbear said:

I just paid to register WVIT on the ASGR recruiting app. He is now the eighth ranked shooting guard for 2022.
Have you started a crowdfunding campaign to improve the ranking?
wvitbear
I've been practicing all summer. Need a new wig. Got to shave closer. And get rid of my hearing aides.
ClayK
Mia did not play much, if at all, this summer season, as I understand it. That could have an impact on the rankings ...

But though the rankings are fun, after the top few players, there's a lot of guesswork going on.
wbbilluminati
ClayK said:

Mia did not play much, if at all, this summer season, as I understand it. That could have an impact on the rankings ...

But though the rankings are fun, after the top few players, there's a lot of guesswork going on.
I follow Mia on Instagram (I'm one of 12,000). Seems like she's still be getting quality workouts despite not playing, including some workouts with Cameron Brink IIRC
ClayK
There's a huge difference between workouts and games ... and we all know about workout warriors.

Mia has always gone to a lot of trainers and done lots of workouts, to her credit, but at a certain point, the law of diminishing returns sets in. You can look very good against cones and chairs, but it's a lot different when there are actual athletes in front of you.
puget sound cal fan
If the Bears have offered a recruit, the staff has seen them play multiple times, followed them for a few seasons and checked out their academics and citizenship.
wvitbear
They have watched her multiple times. In fact Clay was the one who mentioned it.
stu
Just saw this East Bay Times article.

Is this Mia's family? Either way it's chilling and a little personal, I went to the same M.H. Stanley Jr High 60 years ago.
OBear073akaSMFan
stu said:

Just saw this East Bay Times article.

Is this Mia's family? Either way it's chilling and a little personal, I went to the same M.H. Stanley Jr High 60 years ago.
Darn it..it's a paid story. Can you summarize what the article says? Thanks
smh
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Darn it..it's a paid story. Can you summarize what the article says? Thanks
found this version another place fwiw..
Quote:

LAFAYETTE Miss three 30-minute Zoom classes in a single day and go to jail?

For a 12-year-old Stanley Middle School student, that could be the consequence, according to a letter the boy's father received from the school principal.

And according to the seventh-grader's father, Mark Mastrov, other Lafayette parents have received similar letters because their children allegedly missed Zoom time during their distance learning a pandemic version of playing hooky.

"Out of the blue, we got this letter. It said my son had missed classes, and at the bottom it referenced a state law which said truants can go to jail for missing 90 minutes of class," Mastrov said in an interview. "I called the school and said, 'Hey, I want to clear this up.'

"I was told that it was the law. I said, "Are you kidding me? Then that's a bad law.' "

Mastrov said his son, a straight-A student, denies missing any classes. The father suspects he may have been marked as absent if he logged into a session late and the teacher had already taken roll call.

"I am not sure what happened," Mastrov said. But he thinks it may explain why other parents he knows have also gotten such letters.

The state education code defines a student as truant if absent from school without a valid excuse three full days in a single school year, if consistently tardy or if absent for more than a 30-minute period during the school day without a valid excuse on three occasions in a single school year.

Consequences can range from requiring the student to attend make-up classes to paying fines and ultimately to being jailed if the truancy persists.

Stanley Middle School Principal Betsy Balmat said the school's attendance policy has not changed amid the coronavirus pandemic even though students now attend classes online from home and aren't supposed to be in their schools' classrooms.

If a student has unverified absences, the school will make up to three automatic calls to the parent or guardian to let them know their child missed class, Balmat said.

"If we have not heard back after three of those, we send a letter," the principal added.

What has changed under a recent state law intended to reflect the times is that teachers now must make sure students are actually participating and not just attending class, she said. Senate Bill 98 was approved in conjunction with the $202 billion budget that Gov. Gavin Newsom signed in July.

The new law aims for more accountability in distance instruction and requires teachers to interact live with students every day, whether online, by phone or both. Teachers also must communicate regularly with parents about their child's progress in class.

Mastrov said his family does not recall receiving any automatic phone calls from Stanley Middle School before the letter arrived.

His son is the fourth child in the family to attend the campus on School Street, but this is a first for them.

The bigger issue, he said, is labeling a kid who has missed 90 minutes of instruction over a school year as a truant and the potentially harsh penalties that can result.

Mastrov has written to state elected officials, asking for the truancy law to be changed.

"Who passed this law in their infinite wisdom?" he said. "Who in their right mind could do that?"

author > Peter Hegarty is a reporter for the Bay Area News Group. Contact Peter at 510-748-1654
stu
Thanks for posting the article text.

CA truancy law (free)

I see no mention of jail for the student. Jail for the parent seems to be the last resort under Penal Code Section 270.1. (a)

wbbilluminati
ClayK said:

As a side note, it appears Jayda Curry DID play this summer, and a couple of her AAU teammates were added to the rankings (Marisa Davis and Kylee Pepe, previously not ranked) so not being viewed or not competing this summer is not the reason Curry is still unranked.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.