SJS vs Cal preview

4,762 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UrsineMaximus
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://sjsuspartans.com/documents/2020/3/14/Team_Season_Stats.pdf

Thank you-San Jose State for your women's basketball website! The Spartans list tomorrow's game @ 4pm (the same time as the men's game in Corvallis vs Oregon State) and has a link for a direct feed.

San Jose State is picked second in their league and finished 19-12 last season. The Spartans return 6 of their top 8 scorers. All six are upperclassmen: four seniors and two juniors. This team averaged close to 75 ppg and returns their two stars, 5-5 junior PG Ayzhiana Basallo and 6-3 senior PF Tyra Whitehead. Basallo played for St Ignatius in San Francisco as a prep and averaged 18.5 ppg in 2019-20. She is an excellent ball handler (assists vs turnovers) and hits 45% of her three point shots (49). Don't foul her because she is automatic (92.5%) from the charity stripe. Whitehead registered 13.9 points per contest while grabbing 10.1 rpg. She must be athletic because she led the Spartans in steals with 68! The #3 scorer w/ 9.4 ppg was 5-9 junior SG Raziya Potter from Tracy, CA.

San Jose State has a second skilled ball-handler in 5-5 senior, Danae Marquez, who amazingly executed 101 assists while commiting only 53 TOs. She also was 2nd in steals w/ 48. She hails from Clovis West HS and averaged 6.7 ppg. She is the 2nd best returning three point shooter, connecting on 48 last season. The SF is 6-0 senior Cydni Lewis (6.5 ppg) from Mater Dei HS who was second in shot blocks with 28.

The sixth man will likely be 5-8 senior SG Courtesy Clark (2.3 ppg). Two freshmen could play roles for the 2020-21 campaign. Sophia Jones is a 5-8 PG from Miami, Fla. Alani Fluker is a 6-1 PF from San Antonio, TX.

I would imagine a veteran team like this that takes care of ball and averages 10.5 steals per game will cause Cal's frosh-soph squad some major difficulties. Opponents out-rebounded the Spartans by between 6-7/ g.
If the Bears can score in the 60s or above, they may have an opportunity for an upset. The key match-up for the game maybe the two 5-5 PGs: Basallo vs McIntosh. Leilani plays tight defense and brings the ball down the court quickly so she could cause some problems. Local girl, Basallo, will be pumped up to play Cal, however. This initial game should be quite interesting to see which freshmen can step up. GO BEARS!

HoopDreams
sounds like a tough matchup
hope we win, especially with the event after the game
UrsineMaximus
Thank you for this, I was looking for a way to view this game!! It may be a tough year for these young Bears but I'm excited to watch and support them. Coach Smith is great for Cal and deserves our support!!!
UrsusTexicanus
In other Pac-12 news, granted it was only Cal Poly, but Furd just destroyed them 108-40.
ncbears
Halfway through second quarter - quick impressions - Daniels is real. Heidi is where Chen should have been last year. Muca made an outside shot. Samb appears to be forcing things a bit. But, Bears defense is not that great and they should be rebounding better.
Still, 23-12 lead.
ncbears
oops. Cal doesn't score after I posted and leads at half 23-18.
The last five minutes continued to show Bears not playing tight defense, trouble holding onto the ball, not in position for rebound or being beat to the ball. All things you might expect in a first game with a young team under these crazy circumstances.
I won't be able to watch the second half.
stu
What happened to our guards? I haven't seen Green, Crocker, or Elsnitz. Olson has played 15 minutes.

We're looking sloppy, 12 TO at the half.

Looks like Lutje-Schipholt sprained an ankle. Daniels looks great, the other new bigs look like they're playing their first college game.

The refs aren't calling many fouls.

ncbears
Crocker is out for the year with an injury
Schroeder71
Cal didn't score for the final seven minutes while turning the ball over 6 times. The Bears only scored six points in the second quarter. I noticed that guards Jazlen Green & Alma Elsnitz are sitting in street clothes. What is wrong with them? I thought Cailyn Crocker is out for the season. In this game, the team appears to lack offensive threats. Dalayah Daniels, Evelien Lutje Schipholt, Michelle Onyiah & Leilani McIntosh look like Div I players that are athletic and not afraid to shoot the ball. Ornella Muca hit the only three pointer of the half. Sela Heide made a basket.

BearBint
stu said:

What happened to our guards? I haven't seen Green, Crocker, or Elsnitz. Olson has played 15 minutes.

We're looking sloppy, 12 TO at the half.

Looks like Lutje-Schipholt sprained an ankle. Daniels looks great, the other new bigs look like they're playing their first college game.

The refs aren't calling many fouls.

I hope ELS is OK; she and Leilani and Daniels were the glue/triangle that made the first quarter pretty watchable, and her rebounding and FTs were real pluses. By the way, where is everyone watching this? There was talk of San Jose State providing the feed, but BearBloke and I are here: https://pac-12.com/live/university-california
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
BearBint
Oh, good, Evelien's in there.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
stu
Our defense looks horrible - if SJSU weren't missing wide open shots (17 for 60) we'd be down by 30.
stu
Whoever is running the live stream keeps showing replays while missing live action.
stu
I'd like to see a few more minutes from Onyiah. She showed some speed when she was in.
CalFanatic
That 3 by Daniels that rattled in and out... UGH. 50-48 SJSU <1 minute left.

Do we have that many players injured right now? Assume this would be a totally different ballgame with our guards.
IssyBear
The mystery is, why did McIntosh commit two unnecessary fouls with 45 seconds left to foul out of the game?
stu
Somehow we've been cursed with guards injured or gone. Then McIntosh, who's been a warrior, fouls out.
annarborbear
First game. No miracles. Lots of development and learning ahead. Obviously, will need both Green and Crocker back some day. Did like that Heide is not just tall, but will eventually be a contributor.
stu
Yes, lots of work to do. At least all of the new players who got on the court showed something. But I won't expect better results until more of our guards get healthy.
annarborbear
23 TO's versus 8 for SJS. Welcome to Division I college basketball.
SpartanBear20
To be frank, neither team morally deserved to win: Cal because of 23 turnovers and San Jose State for shooting below 30%.

I could go on and on with alternate simulations, like if SJSU had an actual offense they would've won by 20, if Cal didn't turn the ball over so much they would've won, if both teams were better the score would've been in the 60s/70s, etc. But ultimately, San Jose State made the defensive stops needed to stay on top (even with the narrow 48-47 margin inside 3:00 to go).

Defensive strengths: Cal did a good job containing SJSU's best shooter Basallo to 1/12 shooting. She did score 10 points -- but 8 were from free throws including 6 in the last 74 seconds to ice the game. SJSU really went after the ball defensively on inbounds, and Cal looked rattled as a result. There was one Cal offensive possession in the final minute where Cal had to re-inbound twice because SJSU knocked the ball out of bounds.

If Cal starts this season off shooting barely over 30% and giving away the ball 23 times to San Jose State - there is a lot of work to do before facing the Stanfords and UCLAs on the schedule. Yes, San Jose State is picked to finish second in the Mountain West, but the Mountain West was ranked lower last season than the MAC, WCC, A-10, C-USA, CAA, and even the Patriot League and A-Sun.

Also, the last time Cal lost to SJSU was on 12/9/09, when SJSU upset a then #22 Cal 68-66 at Haas. That was a VERY bad SJSU team at the time - they finished the season 6-23. (That loss was likely a reason why the 2009-10 Cal team had to go to the WNIT.) Via the Wayback Machine, here is the Bearinsider postgame discussion from the time.

Looking forward at the schedule, Cal State Bakersfield should be more favorable. Washington is in rebuilding mode with a coach on the hot seat and the graduation of Amber Melgoza.
MoragaBear
Staff
MoragaBear
Staff
Full Cal box

HoopDreams
SpartanBear20 said:

To be frank, neither team morally deserved to win: Cal because of 23 turnovers and San Jose State for shooting below 30%.

I could go on and on with alternate simulations, like if SJSU had an actual offense they would've won by 20, if Cal didn't turn the ball over so much they would've won, if both teams were better the score would've been in the 60s/70s, etc. But ultimately, San Jose State made the defensive stops needed to stay on top (even with the narrow 48-47 margin inside 3:00 to go).

Defensive strengths: Cal did a good job containing SJSU's best shooter Basallo to 1/12 shooting. She did score 10 points -- but 8 were from free throws including 6 in the last 74 seconds to ice the game. SJSU really went after the ball defensively on inbounds, and Cal looked rattled as a result. There was one Cal offensive possession in the final minute where Cal had to re-inbound twice because SJSU knocked the ball out of bounds.

If Cal starts this season off shooting barely over 30% and giving away the ball 23 times to San Jose State - there is a lot of work to do before facing the Stanfords and UCLAs on the schedule. Yes, San Jose State is picked to finish second in the Mountain West, but the Mountain West was ranked lower last season than the MAC, WCC, A-10, C-USA, CAA, and even the Patriot League and A-Sun.

Also, the last time Cal lost to SJSU was on 12/9/09, when SJSU upset a then #22 Cal 68-66 at Haas. That was a VERY bad SJSU team at the time - they finished the season 6-23. (That loss was likely a reason why the 2009-10 Cal team had to go to the WNIT.) Via the Wayback Machine, here is the Bearinsider postgame discussion from the time.

Looking forward at the schedule, Cal State Bakersfield should be more favorable. Washington is in rebuilding mode with a coach on the hot seat and the graduation of Amber Melgoza.
fair assessment. I'd say Cal's rebounding was also a culprit. Gave up too many offensive rebounds.
HoopDreams
team looked like a young team with too little practice under their belt (which are both true)

- Daniels and Jazzy will be our top offensive threat. Where was Jazzy? Is she injured?
- Fatou has tons of potential, but needs to adjust to the college game. She forced a couple shots, and I thought she was fouled on another (but didn't get called)
- I think we found a shooter in Ornela!
- Michelle was a monster on the glass
- Alma sat out the game, but will play on Sunday
- it's going to take Sela some time, but liked she has range to 15 feet

- Evelien continues her scappy play around the basket
- Lei had a strong game, played aggressively on defense, made some good assists, and might be our team leader
- Good to see Archer get a lot of PT for the first time in her Cal career. I don't love her ball handling, but nice to see her hit the 3, and dish out some assists

This team will be better after a few games and Jazzy and Alma will make a big impact
wvitbear
Having already lost Crocker for awhile, (not for the whole season according to Charmin). But the other two were essential to the offense.

Question, How do you know Alma will play next game?

wvitbear
Found the quote from Charmin on another site. Alma next game and hopefully Green soon.
Ashfield63
Does anyone know why Michelle Oniyah only played a few minutes?
IssyBear
Lots of good observations here, but the one other thing that stood out for me was the old adage of not having a big bringing the ball down to waist high after getting a pass or rebound. Most of our young bigs have not yet learned that lesson yet. Over and over again they would bring the ball down and then get tied up or stripped. This is fixable.
stu
IssyBear said:

Lots of good observations here, but the one other thing that stood out for me was the old adage of not having a big bringing the ball down to waist high after getting a pass or rebound. Most of our young bigs have not yet learned that lesson yet. Over and over again they would bring the ball down and then get tied up or stripped. This is fixable.
Sela kept the ball high. Fatou didn't. I'm guessing SJSU planned to test our inexperienced bigs that way.
stu
Ashfield63 said:

I don't know why, but I would like to have seen more minutes from her.
annarborbear
I think that Sela actually learned that in high school and from her parents who played basketball. This has actually been a weakness for our own bigs for many years, including on defense and when they get an entry pass in the post. Our coaches need to figure that out.

Best teacher of this is Scott Rueck. He has had success with a number of tall, not greatly talented women who keep their hands up at almost all times, and who have been assets on both offense and defense.

It took Chen a full five years to start doing that. And she then went from being a liability to being an asset in her final year.

It feels counter-intuitive because when you bring it down, it feels like you are ready to jump and to protect the ball, But for most big people, that is exactly where the trouble is.
SFCALBear72
stu said:

Ashfield63 said:

I don't know why, but I would like to have seen more minutes from her.

Perhaps just chalk it up to Coach Smith experimenting with different lineups during the season's first game and when she had a limited rotation available.

I wouldn't read too much into it.
stu
If all of our guards had been available I would like to have seen us try a faster lineup with Michelle, Dalayah, and 3 guards.
annarborbear
stu said:

If all of our guards had been available I would like to have seen us try a faster lineup with Michelle, Dalayah, and 3 guards.
At this stage, it probably also has something to do with earning your minutes in practice. Another important lesson for entering frosh.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.