Cal vs CS Bakersfield (link)

5,311 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearBint
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This game actually had me thinking about the Bakersfield coach, Greg McCall. He has been there a long time, as both an assistant and head coach, and his record has had some ups and downs. But his teams do look ready to play. Two of his daughters have ended up playing professionally, including Erica McCall from Stanford. He has a lot of kids from two marriages, and may have stayed in one place to give his family stability. Seems to produce a good product within the limitations within which he is working.
IssyBear
It was Alma. Hope it is not as bad as it looked.

HoopDreams
with jazzy still out, we have zero outside shooting, and poor shooting overall

they packed the paint and doubled any entry pass

our 4 new bigs look a little raw (not unexpected)

best player out there looked like Alma and she went down with what looked like a knew injury

this is going to be a long work in progress
gwashburn14
Given the amount of talent we recruited and losses to San Jose State and Cal-Bakersfield (in its opener) to begin the season, I think there's a reason for concern. We seem to play a real rag-tag style and a lot of one-on-one play and we still haven't recruited successfully a knockdown 3-point shooter. How come Bakersfield is able to recruit shooters and we can't? It won the game with 3-point shooting in the 3Q. I get the whole "we're really young" argument but doesn't Charmin have to beat two teams whose players weren't even recruited by Cal?
Schroeder71
I'm sorry to hear about an injury to Elsnitz. I hope that it is not serious. Alma contributed 14 points or the game would have been a double-digit loss. She established herself as one of the top three players on the team today.
The one compliment that I can give to the six freshmen is that they all look solid at the free throw line.

One observation: Charmin Smith cannot play Sela Heide (6-7) & Fatou Samb (6-4) simultaneously. Both are slow-footed running up and down the court. CSB got 3 uncontested layups under the basket because they could not get back to anchor the defense. They both also have not been getting out to the free throw line to defend that 12-15 foot jump shot. The only one of the six frosh that has a jump shot that I have noticed is Michelle Onyiah but it is often out of control. She has scored two baskets each game on offensive rebounds. She does remind one of a young Gennifer Brandon...

The Bears tallied 16 FGs with 14 coming from in the paint. The Live Stats had Cal 13-29 on lay-ups. Only two baskets came from the outside from PG Leilani McIntosh. Ornella Muca had a rough game (0-9 FGs) but, most importantly, provided no three point shot (0-6) for the offense. Dalayah Daniels also did not make one (0-3) and ended up struggling from the field (2-10).

I would continue to give Sela Heide (18 m) and Michelle Onyiah (11 m) more minutes. They have been most productive. Fatou Samb appears lost (doesn't know her role) out on the court. She does not appear ready to contribute, yet, at this level.

The offense desperately needs the outside shooting of Jazlen Green and Cailyn Crocker. The former transfer from San Diego State w/ 86 treys could have come in handy today, too. Btw, in my preview, I stated that the RoadRunners only had a single three point threat (Easley). She hit three consecutive against McIntosh (I think) when they went up by 20 points. A true freshman also went 2 for 2 on treys for CSB.

I doubt that Cal can win in the Pac 12 this season. Washington and Washington State were two of the teams ranked below us in the pre-season polls. We shall see how accurate the prenostigators are next weekend.
GO BEARS!

stu
Quote:

gwashburn14
I get the whole "we're really young" argument but doesn't Charmin have to beat two teams whose players weren't even recruited by Cal?
We have played exactly 2 people who have any significant college experience, Leilani and Evelien with 1 season each. The 6 freshies didn't even get a normal preseason practice schedule. I'm afraid any team with experienced players will make us look bad until we can get everyone on the same page. Maybe later this season. Maybe next season. Sooner if Cailyn and Jazlen come back.
stu
Quote:

Schroeder71
I would continue to give Sela Heide (18 m) and Michelle Onyiah (11 m) more minutes. They have been most productive.
The offense desperately needs the outside shooting of Jazlen Green and Cailyn Crocker.

I agree on both points.
Schroeder71
Suprise player of the game was the fast soph PG, Lexus Green, who had 15 points at halftime. She stole the ball twice for breakaway layups. She ate up the Cal PG in the first half, but Leilani fought back in the 2nd, outscoring her 5-0. Green did not start any games for CSB last season.
annarborbear
It is going to be a developmental year. Heide had the only positive plus/minus (+4) with 7 points and 6 rebounds in 18 minutes. May not yet have the stamina, but she has earned the start and more minutes for development. I don't like Daniels going outside. Develop her first inside and then let her try other things later. Have McIntosh start shooting more from the outside. She will be a lot more valuable if she can develop some type of consistent outside threat. Instead of taking three three's as in this game, get that up to six or seven.

Other than that, we will have to see if we can somehow get some more movement in our offense and improve our boxing out under the boards. I would rather have the other freshman bigs learn to concentrate on boxing out and rebounding before they try to focus on anything else.
blungld
It is way too early to draw conclusions, but Daniels looks like a future all conference player. The rest look like good players, but not at her level.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
HoopDreams
mid-majors, div 2 and even div 3 often have undersized players who can shoot

today bakersfield had a more experienced team that got tons of open shots... and they hit them

we often played a 3-2 with two bigs sitting back in the paint, but that allowed them to shoot completely open 14 footers, and somehow they were still able to score down low too

I don't get how we can just let them shoot completely unchallenged 14 footers after they showed they could hit them from the FT line and baseline

bakersfield used the same defensive strategy vs us (although I they were in a 2-3), but we were unable to exploit it, often getting no open shots in our offense, or passes forced inside vs a collapsed defense. Not sure how many of those resulted in turnovers, vs positive results (they did foul us a lot in the paint)

many of our shots were difficult runners, or off balance/contested shots

until we can shoot we will see this defense against us with more athletic/longer athletes

And 5 assists to 15 turnovers makes it essential to shoot well to win games
SpartanBear20
Schroeder71 said:

I doubt that Cal can win in the Pac 12 this season. Washington and Washington State were two of the teams ranked below us in the pre-season polls. We shall see how accurate the prenostigators are next weekend.
GO BEARS!

Washington destroyed BYU 77-48 after barely scraping by San Diego State 61-59. Last season, BYU was a top WCC team, but SDSU was a mediocre Mountain West team last season (to put it in perspective, San Jose State finished higher in the MW standings).

Washington State has yet to open its season. But I'll never forget how WSU had just one more Pac-12 win than Cal last season yet destroyed Cal by 20+ points TWICE!

In any case, I have a really hard time imagining how a team that could not shoot or play defense against two Cal State schools can be remotely competitive against UW or WSU.
annarborbear
I just noticed one strange stat. Our point guard McIntosh played all 40 minutes and had zero assists. How is that even possible. I guess we missed every shot that she tried to set up.
SFCALBear72
SpartanBear20 said:

Schroeder71 said:

GO BEARS!

Washington destroyed BYU 77-48 after barely scraping by San Diego State 61-59. Last season, BYU was a top WCC team, but SDSU was a mediocre Mountain West team last season (to put it in perspective, San Jose State finished higher in the MW standings).

Washington State has yet to open its season. But I'll never forget how WSU had just one more Pac-12 win than Cal last season yet destroyed Cal by 20+ points TWICE!

In any case, I have a really hard time imagining how a team that could not shoot or play defense against two Cal State schools can be remotely competitive against UW or WSU.

Both of you seem to be giving up on the season after two games. Good grief. That's why they play the games.

I believe those pre-season polls were based upon Cailyn Crocker and Jazlen Green playing full seasons. When Jazzy returns, it will help us on defense and with perimeter shooting.

As was stated earlier, this is a developmental season. The experience and significant playing time will pay dividends next season when everyone returns including Crocker plus the three recruits. This can't be easy for Coach Smith during a pandemic with a very young and largely inexperienced team. Let's be supportive any way we can.

Go Bears!!!
ClayK
It's very difficult to compete with young players who struggle with their shooting -- you expect freshmen to have turnover issues, but at the same time, you hope the recruits are athletic enough and skilled enough to offset the mistakes with points.

Add Crocker and Green, though, and the two losses are likely two wins. The best ability is availability.
CalWSportsFan
Let's face it, this is a difficult time to be playing (or practicing) basketball. This team is very young and is missing some key players. To be honest, I wasn't even expecting them to play at all this season....given what's going on in sports at various levels it's hard to imagine the season progressing in normal terms. The Ivy League already called it, saw the writing on the wall. Thus, each game is an opportunity to learn....that's really it for 2020/21 season. I just hope everyone stays healthy.
BearBint
stu said:

Quote:

gwashburn14
I get the whole "we're really young" argument but doesn't Charmin have to beat two teams whose players weren't even recruited by Cal?
We have played exactly 2 people who have any significant college experience, Leilani and Evelien with 1 season each. The 6 freshies didn't even get a normal preseason practice schedule. I'm afraid any team with experienced players will make us look bad until we can get everyone on the same page. Maybe later this season. Maybe next season. Sooner if Cailyn and Jazlen come back.
https://gorunners.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2020-21/cal/boxscore/7813

Look at their starters: some actual juniors and seniors! Not as talented, but more much experienced and cohesive. Cal will start to shine when they learn to box out more and stop passing to the opponents. Any idea when Jazlen might be back?
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.