Back in Time to Brandon, Caldwell and Gray

1,383 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bballfan11
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The pandemic provides a lot of time to waste on lots of stuff. So I went back to see how Brandon, Caldwell and Gray did as freshmen.

Brandon ended up sixth in the league in rebounding at 8.5 per game. In the year-end NIT, she averaged 8.2 ppg and 11.8 rpg.

Caldwell shot 61.5% as a freshman and averaged 7.7 rebounds per game in the NIT.

Gray averaged 10.5 ppg and 6.0 rpg in her first season, and then scored 14 points and 6 rebounds against Iowa in a first round NCAA game and had 15 points against Notre Dame in a second round game.

The game-by-game stats were not available so I could not tell how they did in their first two games. They were all helped by strong backcourts that took the pressure off.

Katy Steding didn't end up with a good record as a head coach. But she did a great job for us in developing big people. Noticed that Steding is now back at Stanford as an assistant coach there.

Schroeder71
I could see Michelle Onyiah performing as a Genn Brandon type rebounder. Dalayah Daniels could be on par as a scorer with Reshanda Gray and either, Sela Heide or Fatou Samb, could become a traditional center type like Caldwell. I can't remember the latter's first name. Help?

GO BEARS!
BearPedz
I still wonder to this day what cal could have achieved with Tierra Rogers healthy.
stu
She's Talia Caldwell. I agree Michelle resembles Gennifer and Fatou resembles Talia. However I can't think of a recent Cal player much like Dalayah, a big with an outside game. I'd say Reshanda's game was strictly inside. You might have to go all the way back to Colleen Galloway to find a comparable Cal player. Hope Dalayah turns out that good.
annarborbear
Again, I hope that we will focus on boxing out and rebounding with our freshmen this year. That is what ended up being our biggest asset in the Brandon/Caldwell/Gray era. We could toss up errant shots and watch those three clean up time after time under the boards.
puget sound cal fan
It's teaching, development and playing experience that will bring-out the talent these frosh possess.
HoopDreams
stu said:

She's Talia Caldwell. I agree Michelle resembles Gennifer and Fatou resembles Talia. However I can't think of a recent Cal player much like Dalayah, a big with an outside game. I'd say Reshanda's game was strictly inside. You might have to go all the way back to Colleen Galloway to find a comparable Cal player. Hope Dalayah turns out that good.
Dalayah = Courtney?

stu
HoopDreams said:

Dalayah = Courtney?

Good point. When Courtney was healthy she could do it all.
Bballfan11
I went to a Cal Louisville game at Haas in Dec 2014 and Cal would have won it but Courtney was injured and unable to play
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.